? about flying out of Medford, Oregon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for information from someone who lives in Medford or Ashland area...Can you get anywhere flying out of the Medford airport, or do you have to drive or fly to a larger airport in Portland, Seattle or Sacramento to get any direct flights to other large cities (such as NY, Mpls, or Mexico destinations)? It looks like Medford is a small airport and I am trying to figure out how practical it is to travel if you lived in that area. Thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:06 AM

If you do a quick search on Orbitz for flights from Medford to New York, you'll see that you cannot get direct flights from the small Medford airport - you must use small prop planes and jets to make connections on the regional airlines that have partnered with Alaska, United, and America West. You'll connect into Portland, Seattle, or San Francisco. The quick check I did of MFR to New York did not show very good fares but from a small airport that's not surprising.

Whether it's "practical" for you to travel out of there is a matter of definition. Will you be traveling once a week? Once a month? Once a year? Is the higher ticket price really so important in the scheme of things? Your travel options will be more limited out of MFR and more expensive, but a small airport does have its advantages. For one thing, it's very easy to get in and out of.

Andrew
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:25 AM

Actually we are flying to Ireland this week from MFR and Andrew is correct about connecting flights. We live in Medford and have flown out of both PDX and MFR. Price was actually cheaper to fly from MFR to Orlando and about $50 more to fly to Ireland. IMO well worth saving an 8 hour round trip drive.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:31 AM

I just wanted to also note that MFR has flights (I believe one per hour) to San Fran. The flight takes about an hour. We usually have the same number of layovers flying out of PDX as we do MFR.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Panhandle, how do you like living there? We are considering possible relocation to the area in the future. Want to go to CA, but it is too expensive, Medford/Ashland looks like a great place with perfect weather. We are trying to escape MN winters!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:18 PM

I relocated here about 3.5 years ago and I will tell you this...there is no better place to live!
The weather is mild during the winter.
We usually have one snowfall a year that sticks and then melts off within a day. We do get the NW rain but not as much as farther north or along the coast.
The fall is beautiful as well with all the trees changing color.
Summer can be a bit hot with average temps around 90-95 with usually a hot spell or two over 100. (usually a couple days to a week at a time)
Spring is perfect. 70-80 no wind.
I actually moved here after spending some time on the coast and in Portland and I find it to be milder than both.
The real benefit is the people. I have yet to live in a place where the people are as friendly and relaxed.
I actually live in Grants Pass while I like Medford well enough Grants Pass just seemed to seem more homey.(if that makes sense)
The economy is pretty good here compared to other areas of Oregon and there is a ton of building going on in the whole valley.
I really cant say enough about the Rogue Valley and the people who live here. But...life can be a little quiet for some who are used to the "hustle" of bigger places.Though with Britt Fest and Shakespeare we have better entertainment than most would think.
If you have any questions or need any info on local businesses etc. dont hesitate to ask.
Nathan
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Panhandle, thanks for the great information! You say life can be a little "quiet" there, what do you mean? If that means less traffic, that would be good, Mpls traffic gets worse all the time. I am surprised by the heat you mention, weatherchannel.com lists Ashland summer highs at 87 or so. Is is 90 - 95 most days of summer or just occasionally? We were looking at Sacramento and think it may be too hot in the summer for us, but Medford might be the same way? Thanks again for the info! I think we need to come for a visit and see the area in person.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 04:45 AM

Hey Panhandle, thanks for that info on Grants Pass/Medford. H and I are considering a move to the Pac NW in a few years and Grants Pass is one area we plan to visit in a couple years. Got all kinds of info from their Chamber of Commerce and Realtors. Looks like a great place to live! (I guess the state income tax balances out the no sales tax...?)
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 04:15 AM

Look for a story written by Time Mag. that listed Grants Pass in the top five places to retire. (Based on...weather,Crime,activities,cost of living etc.) Other places listed were Galveston, Texas; Charleston S.C.,Ireland
When I looked into the area I looked at Medford and Ashland as well as Grants Pass and I liked Grants Pass the best. Medford is a bit larger it also has more shopping(costco,Mall etc.)
Grants Pass has a little less but it is a more attractive place (the Rogue adds alot to the town) Ashland is nice but the tourists in the summer would drive me nuts as downtown can become a bit crowded and congested)
By quiet I mean there arent many five star restaurants,night clubs, or traffic. Alot of Californians move here and cant stand that.
The temps are really Ok once you've been here a summer. The first one was a little tough but you really do get used to it.
Housing is more expensive in Ashland and Medford.
The income tax is supposed to make up for no sales tax. Not sure if it really is working.Many Oregonians would rather see a sales tax but that is another story.
I will be gone until October 5th off to Ireland for awhile!(yes flying out of MFR)
Best wishes NAthan
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 11:31 AM

When planning a trip from Florida to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland and then going on to California, we found fares directly to Medford for about the same as going to Sacramento or San Francisco or Portland (all roughly 5 to 6 hour drives away). In the end we went to Sacramento and drove, but that was only because we couldn't seem to get a car in Oregon that we could drop off in California -- without a huge fee.

We were finding connecting flights through either Portland or San Francisco (and maybe Los Angeles) on both United and Alaska Airlines.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, how crowded was the festival? Is it hard to get tickets? Would I have to plan way in advance to go? Thanks!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 01:29 PM

Well we go for three full days (four nights) and see six shows in the three days. I give a donation of about $75 a year and get to preorder tickets in December for the following summer. Yes, nearly all shows sell out, although on Sunday night we saw Hedda Gabler with only about an 80% house, which I had never seen happen before.
A friend who is a long time professional actor and theatre graduate of Juliard went with us and remarked it was unquestionably the best theatre he had ever witnessed, including much Broadway. This year's season was exceptionally well done, I thought. I can't tell you how great Noel Coward's PRESENT LAUGHTER and August Wilson's THE PIANO LESSON were. And I was not excited about seeing yet another production of ROMEO AND JULIET, this time in modern dress, until I saw it -- nothing short of Brilliant!

So yes, planning in advance is certainly helpful, but you'll also do better going in the week. Most regulars seem to come from distances on the weekends and see a bunch of shows. Weekdays tend to have more availability closer to performances.