AABC World Series in Brooklyn, NY - need kid friendly hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2009, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to make hotel reservations for 12 famiies traveling to Brooklyn, NY to watch boys play in a baseball tourament. We are looking for reasonable price, kid friendly (with a pool) and free parking. Any suggestions. Of course we need to check in on July 30th. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 08:00 AM

What is a reasonable price?????
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 09:45 AM

Brooklyn is primarily residential and has few hotels - esp those that can fit 12 families (some are B&Bs). It is also huge. If you tell us exactly where this event is taking place and what your budget is people can make recos.

But, free parking is very rare in NYC (except airport hotels) and many don't have pools.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Sorry...I'm new at this. I was thinking under something less then $130/night. The team is playing at Gil Hodges baseball complex in Brooklyn. We are open to staying at a hotel within at 30 minute drive/commute. Sorry I'm not from New York but from the Midwest. Thanks again for all your help.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 04:38 PM

Sorry -

I've googled and there are all sorts of things named for Gil Hodges, including a school - but nothing specific for a baseball complex in Brooklyn. Is it simply the field of a local school? Or do you have an address for it - or some sort of directions?

As for 30 minutes - that's not very far in NYC traffic. And $130 per night is a VERY low budget for a family room - assuming you're looking for 2 beds per room.

With an address someone might be able to find it and give you info.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

2400 Shore Pkwy, Brooklyn, New York 11223 is the address on the website. Unfortunately the website doesn't have much information on it. The tournament hotel promised us a room now one week before hand they claim they are sold out.

http://www.olgaa.com/Baseball/Tourna...orldseries.htm

Thanks again.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

What about hotels on staten island such as the staten island hotel? I've just started to google some places and this one popped up.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 05:18 PM

Well, just so you know, the "official" hotel isn't in Brooklyn - it's on Staten Island - and while theoretically 25 minutes from the site - in traffic across the Verazzano Narrows Bridge it's more like an hour.

If you look at kayak.com it shows 4 hotels in Brooklyn - none especially near the site. The least expensive is about $165 per night, but there is no parking available.

I would contact the organizers and ask them to reco places to stay - since the hotels listed for Brooklyn are primarily for people wanting to visit Manhattan - but on a budget - and in another part of Brooklyn. Given the location another hotel on Staten Island may make sense - but you need to be aware of traffic patterns at rush hour and that the bridge toll is $11. And I haven;t got a clue about hotels there - imagine they will be office park type places.

You might be better off looking at one of the hotels for JFK (although frankly they're all fairly unpleasant) - but they might have enough rooms and depending on hours the trip might not be that bad.

Sorry this hotel left you stranded - but the game site isn't really a place tourists would ordinarily go.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM

I'd agree that JFK hotels will probably be your best option, though I don't think any will have a pool. I'd suggest checking www.hotels.com and www.travelocity.com for suggestions. That way you can see the prices available for your dates of travel and compare the hotel amenities.

Other than that, you might consider staying in Manhattan, and take the subway to the event. The Travel Inn on W. 42nd St has a pool and FREE parking and is usually well priced.

The other problem will be the 12 or so rooms. I'd contact the hotel and ask for a group rate and then give the info to all of the families so they can call with credit card info to hold the rooms.

I don't think staying on Staten Island is a great idea, not much to see and do there and the toll on the bridge is now expensive for each trip over.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM

After taking a look at the tournment website, you should probably call the organizers and ask for where they are putting up other teams, if the official hotel is fully booked, they probably will have other suggestions for you.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM

. . . especially since the tournament web site states that it is "mandatory" to stay at the tournament hotel . . .
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
mp

Gil Hodges Stadium is the stadium for a local Catholic HS - Bishop Kearney School. Try the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott - call the hotel directly and negotiate a group rate. it is about a 20 - 40 minute drive pending on traffic and time of day. Also the Nu Hotel in Brooklyn is OK.
The JFK hotels would do in a pinch, but they aren't great. You can always split up the group also, not ideal but . . .
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM

After the game, you can go to Joe's to eat.

http://brooklyn.citysearch.com/profi..._sicilian.html
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all your help. We have hopefully resolved the hotel issue.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:03 AM

The following motels are located in Sheepshead Bay ( in Brooklyn) - all near to Shore Pkwy:
Best Western 3003 emmons Ave.
ComfortInn 3218 emmons Ave.
Golden Gate Motel 3867 Shore Pkwy.

You can Google them - punch in: Motel Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn