Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   AAA discounts (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/aaa-discounts-646630/)

nelsonian Sep 14th, 2006 04:41 PM

AAA discounts

Just wondering if being a member of the AA (Automobile Association) in New Zealand qualifies for the AAA discount that many hotels and airfares offer in the United States. My husband just said why don't you ring the AA but it's more fun doing it like this!!! Thanks

J62 Sep 14th, 2006 04:58 PM

I am a card carrying member of the AAA and often find that hotel websites will offer a discount for AAA members. Never, in all my years of travel have I ever been asked for either my AAA number at reservation time or for my card at checkin.

These days many hotels also offer 'web specials' which are same $ or lower than the AAA discount.

Neopolitan Sep 14th, 2006 04:59 PM

Hopefully just like in the US, you can find much better discounts at most hotels than the meager AAA (or AA)discount.

Neopolitan Sep 14th, 2006 05:05 PM

J62, would you believe that not only have I been asked, but one time we booked at a AAA discount rate and when we arrived they asked for the card? I didn't have it with me. They refused to honor the rate. Then I mentioned senior rate, and they gave us the room for less than originally booked.

And once on the phone when I was "whining" about the high room costs and the discounts not being much, the person asked if I had a Costco card and gave me double off what the AAA discount was.

schnauzer Sep 15th, 2006 04:27 AM

nelsonian,
I am in the process of trying to book some accommodation in San Fran. I asked one hotel, The Orchard if they would honour our N.R.M.A. card from Australia, they said they would. Wouldn't actually clarify that the charge would be exactly the same as the AAA rate. They kept telling me the best option was the pre paid option, however when you look on the web page the AAA rate was cheaper again. So not quite sure what they actually had in mind. Will keep researching. Good luck.

Lori Sep 15th, 2006 05:39 AM

We use our AAA card frequently for hotel discounts and 90% of the time they do ask to see it. We use it often at the Mirage in Las Vegas and they always ask. It's not that hard to keep the card in your wallet "just in case".

nelsonian Sep 15th, 2006 04:39 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I thought I had read somewehre that AA cards from other countries were accepted for hotel discounts but can't remember where I read it. I have been looking at some many travel sites lately. It could be I read that AAA cards were accepted in New Zealand.

trippinkpj Sep 15th, 2006 06:11 PM

Yes, I have been asked at the check in for AAA cards most of the time in the last few years. And sometimes they want the card # up front as well as Neo mentioned. :-)

RedRock Sep 15th, 2006 07:02 PM

On occasions we have also been ask for the AAA member number when checking in. Then on some occasions when we ask for the AAA discount we were told that everyone receives the AAA discount rate. It seems to be a mixed bag when it comes to discounts of any kind. We have had more luck with the "show your card and save" program. One restaurant we stopped in this summer gave a 15% discount.

ElendilPickle Sep 15th, 2006 10:16 PM

Did you check at www.aatravel.co.nz?

Lee Ann

gail Sep 16th, 2006 02:31 AM

Here is what I would do - make reservation using AA/AAA rate (in US AA also stands for Alcoholics Anonymous - so probably would not ask for AA rate - also stands for American Airlines).

Upon check-in there is a very low chance they will ask for the card. If they do, show them your New Zealand card and act as if "of course you accept this". I think that will get the the discount (which is usually such a small amount it will pay for a morning cup of coffee)

I have not seen an AAA airfare discount, but it often gives you a discount on admission to museums, historic sites, and the like. What we do is when at window to buy admission to someplace, give them the card and ask if there is a discount for membership. Often the window clerk has no idea but gives us a discount anyway. I get the feeling if you show them just about any kind of membership card to anything you get a discount.

OO Sep 16th, 2006 05:30 AM

Looking at the rates at my husband's hotel, the Hyatt.com rate (internet rate which requires full prepayment and no cancellation) is $305. AAA rate for the same room is $270, not pre-paid and you can cancel up to 48 hrs in advance.

I just asked him about New Zealand AA and he said no, it wouldn't be accepted...not the same organization as AAA with whom they have struck their deal. The difference in price and terms (cancellation policy) is significant and front desk is "supposed to check cards" at check-in, but who knows what percentage of the time that happens! It should be 100%. My guess is, that it is not. :)

Neopolitan Sep 16th, 2006 05:44 AM

As a matter of fact it was at a Hyatt (Sarasota) where I clearly remember not having the AAA card with me and being denied the promised AAA rate I got when booked. At least that clerk followed the rules to the letter.
But for great Hyatt deals, it's hard to beat their senior specials, sometimes as much as half off. Ah the minor joys of aging.

OO Sep 16th, 2006 06:14 AM

That is a good rate, Neo! Same room is $215. Can cancel up to 48 hrs in advance. Must show ID at desk. Age 62 and up. Yippeeee, there is a silver lining to this cloud after all! :)

Neopolitan Sep 16th, 2006 06:19 AM

Well I'm still 2 years from THAT silver lining (but relying on the age of my partner for such discounts). The real silver lining I'm looking forward to is Medicare and the chance to ditch my current health insurance of $6500 a year plus the first $2500 deductible! Come on Medicare!

starrsville Sep 16th, 2006 06:25 AM

Oh, geez, Neo. Just yesterday a friend was trying to talk be into going independent rather than salaried. Health insurance has always been the reason I've played it "safe". Now, I'm even more thrilled to be salaried with great health insurance. I think I'll keep with status quo! :-)

In a month I'll qualify for AARP. I don't know if I'm happy or freaked. :-)