Need info on Boston/Newton hotels.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2012, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting someone at Boston College in early February. Probably for just part of a day.

But I've decided to make a mini-trip out of it, as I've been "in" Boston, but never "done" Boston.

I would prefer not to rent a car, so thinking a hotel in the city center would be best. But then the question is how to get to the campus in Newton for an event on Saturday evening. Is there mass transit between Boston and Newton?

Would I be best off just staying near the campus Friday and Saturday night (arriving Friday), then moving to a downtown hotel on Sunday for 2 more nights?

Modestly priced hotels are what I'm looking for. I don't want a Motel 6, but I also don't need the Ritz. 3 stars sounds right. If I have no car, then I need to be close to shopping/restaurants.

And where is the airport in relation to downtown? Newton? Do most hotels have free shuttles?

Thanks for your input!
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 03:30 AM

www.mbta.com for transit info a few hotels have shuttles RoundHouse Suites Historic Hotel for me last hadshuttle.
booking.com willhaveasearch feature for shuttle hotels.
betterbidding.com for very best hotel deals there for me
bidding priceline.com
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:18 AM

Roundhouse Suites is in an industrial neighborhood near Boston City Hospital, a excellent place to go if you have a drug overdose during your visit, and the Middlesex County Jail. It would take you FOREVER to get to BC.

Boston College is located on the B Line of the Green trolley and subway line. The B, C, and D lines diverge at Kenmore Square Station, so any hotel nearer the center of the city is convenient to the Green Line. I would try Priceline or Hot Wire for one of the hotels in Pudential/Copley Square. You want 4 star or better and may get the Sheraton or the Hilton.

This area is convenient for touring other Boston artistic and historic sites.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:12 AM
yk

Hi sarge,

Pls do not stay at Roundhouse Suites. I wouldn't go to that neighborhood alone at night.

As Ackislander said, The BC campus is located at the LAST STOP of the C line branch of the Green Line (subway). Go to MBTA.com to look at the subway map. There are 5 different subway lines, Red, Blue, Green, Orange, and Silver. On the Green line, the line diverges into 4 separate branches - B,C,D and E.

I don't think there are hotels right within walking distance of Boston College. If you don't want to have a car and don't want to switch hotels, as Ackislander suggested, pick a hotel in the Copley Sq area. The Copley stop is right on the Green Line and then you can catch the C line branch out to Boston College. There are dozens and dozens of hotels in Copley area, and that area is also filled with shops, restaurants, and handy for sightseeing. Hotels in Copley include the Copley Marriott, the Sheraton, Westin, Fairmont, Hilton, Marriott Courtyard, Copley Sq Hotel, The Lenox off the top of my head. Rates should be quite affordable at all these hotels for early Feb.

I doubt any of these hotels offer free airport shuttle. If you are traveling light, you can most certainly get to/from Logan airport by subway, like most Bostonians do. Otherwise, just take a taxi.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Consider this. Newburyguesthouse.com
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 12:15 PM
cw

As has been said, there are no hotels within walking distance of BC, so there is no advantage to staying out in Newton. Stay in/near Back Bay or Kenmore Square, or even the theater district. All are an easy walk to the Green Line stations.

Take the "B" train of the Green Line (Boston College) to get to BC. The last stop is right across the street from the lower campus and will be an easy walk to wherever your event is being held. It will take about a half hour to get out to BC on the subway/trolley. It's above ground after Kenmore Square.

I don't know of any downtown hotels that offer a shuttle from the airport. The airport is close to Boston and easy to take the subway if you don't have a lot of luggage, and would be about a $30-35 cab ride.

Besides Priceline you can check www.lastminutetravel.com. They don't identify the hotels but you can run the description by us and we may be able to identify the place. Also if you give us a budget we might be able to make some suggestions.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 12:24 PM
yk

Sorry, cw is right about Boston College being the last stop on the B branch of the Green Line; not the C branch as I have said earlier.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_ma...s/?route=GREEN
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 12:25 PM
yk

P.S. here's the map for the entire subway system:
http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, all. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I will be traveling with just one carry on and possibly a backpack. But that is it.

I just have one other question. THe event at BC might run as late as 10pm. Is it safe to ride the subway at that hour for a single 50-something woman?

Thanks all!
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:42 AM
cw

Sarge, you'll be fine on the subway at 10:00. That line runs from BC down Commonwealth Ave. through the Boston Univ. campus. It's largely a student area and there will be people around. No worries.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:53 AM

Not only will you be safe, it is a great experience especially on a weekend to ride with all the college kids out on the town. Makes you glad you never have to go through that again!
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:51 AM
yk

As others have said, it's completely safe to ride the Green LIne at that hour. I often ride the green line myself at night after a performance (10pm or later) and most of the time, the trains are quite full! You may encounter loud college kids but they're harmless.

If you don't mind using the subway system to get to/from Logan airport, (and assuming you're staying at a hotel on the Green Line) you can take the free airport shuttle from the terminal to the BLUE Line AIRPORT station, then take the Blue line to Government Center Station where you can change for the GREEN line to your destination. Subway rides are $2.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:03 AM

I'd make the suggestion of staying in the historic area downtown, close to Quincy Market. The Harborside Inn is a very nice budget hotel and it's across the street from Quincy Market so lots of restaurants.

Staying there it's a short walk to Government Station stop for the greenline train and the trains will be clearly marked.

Also the Harborside Inn is right on top of the Blue line train to the airport, very convenient for the trip to catch your flight and will save time and money.

From there you are also close to Boston Common to start the "Freedom Trail" and see the historic part of the city.

Have a great trip.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for the input!