A Week In Houston

May 15th, 2014, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

A Week In Houston

I've never been to Texas, but will very likely be moving to Houston in a few months for hubby's job, so we are going to spend a week there shortly so I can see what the city is like.

I would love some suggestions for things to see/do in Houston - less tourist attractions and more places where locals go, as I am trying to figure out what it would be like living there. I like museums, concerts/shows, the outdoors, historical buildings and architecture in general, and food. I don't like shopping or beaches. I'll also be by myself for the majority of the time, so looking for things I can safely enjoy solo.

Also, I wanted to check out some potential neighborhoods that we might end up living in. His office will be downtown, and we want to be as close to that as possible. We would love to live in a more walkable neighborhood (coming from NYC), but not sure if that exists in Houston! Any areas I should look at?

I am pretty apprehensive about this move and hoping this little trip will help me get excited about it!

Thank you.
May 15th, 2014, 07:03 AM

<>

Houston's not known for beaches.

There's a whole museum district. Go googling.

Everyone likes food. Be specific. Houston has gastronomical options suitable for anyone. Texas has far better Tex-Mex and Mex-Mex, Cajun and (apropos of nothing, but this applies to Dallas and Houston) Thai food than NYC. The BBQ superiority should not even need mentioning.

Concerts are everywhere. The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion gets high marks. It's outside the city. The Toyota Center is the other stop for major road shows. The overinflated ones would play at Reliant Stadium.

Check out http://thrillcall.com/live-music/houston for smaller venues like the local House of Blues and other 3-7K or smaller places.

Check here for more on Houston activities generally: http://www.visithoustontexas.com/nightlife

And here about neighborhoods: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ies_of_Houston. I'd want to live inside The Loop because commuting from anywhere outside it means you need to cross it, which will SUCK. This also means you need to learn what The Loop is.

Houston in general is not a walking city. It has a good number of parks.

Look: You're not moving to the sticks - it's the fourth-most populated city in the country (#1 in Texas), the #10 media market (#2 in Texas) and the #10 metro area (#2 in Texas). The city alone is physically more than TWO times the size of NYC. Public transport options are not great. You need a car.

BTW, you can get a far larger abode for the same prices and far more take-home pay for the same salary in Houston than in NYC.
May 15th, 2014, 08:16 AM

Welcome!
I think some interesting neighborhoods would be would be Houston Heights: can be a little edgy and quirky but very strong in neighborhood activities, West University: near Rice University so a combination of faculty, students and families, Rice Military: young, energetic, bars and restaurants nearby , Montrose: artsy and near museum district, and near Highland Village: safe, restaurants and shops. All have walkability.
Houston has had 1 of Bon Appetite's Top 10 new restaurants of the year for 3 years in a row, it is a fun food town at reasonable prices. There is always a top Broadway Show in town and music from classical to contemporary is always available. Rice University has many offerings, sometimes for free. I think many people are surprised at the huge trees and how green it is. The summer is really hot and humid but we usually have 8 months a year of really pleasant weather.

Search this Thread