Search

New York: Broadway Tkts, Art/food Festivals, Designer Knockoffs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York: Broadway Tkts, Art/food Festivals, Designer Knockoffs

Hello Everyone!

We're doing a ladies museum & show trip to NY 3/27-4/1 and looking for some help. We're planning on checking out the Rose Center at the AMNH, Met, Guggenheim & Whitney (1/day) We'll be staying at the Sheraton NY & Towers, 7th Ave btwn 51st & 52nd.

Does anyone know of a great website or other way to get discount Broadway tickets other than the Half Price Tkt booths? We'd like to spend our time touring, not waiting in line! I've heard from one person that both 1/2 Price Booths are closed on Sundays, but my guidebooks says they're open limited hours. Anyone know the truth? We're looking at "Cookin" off-Broadway and ideally "Wicked", "The Producers" (yeah, right), or any musical, or comedy.

Also, anyone know of any festivals, art shows, etc. going on? Particularly food, cultural or ethnic based events.

How about designer handbag knock-offs. Heard Chinatown is the best place for this.

Any recs would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:18 AM

For some discounts on show tickets, check the websites playbill.com, theatermania.com and broadwaybox.com

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:42 AM

Definately go online to order show tickets...you DO NOT want to wait in line at the tickets center, its a madhouse! Anyway, Chinatown is where you can get knock-offs for great prices. But you will find vendors everywhere, including near the museums. Just a side note--it may be difficult or nearly impossible to do all of the museums in a day. The Gugg you can do in 1-2hrs if you hustle, but the Met you can spend all day, same with The Museum of Natural Science and History. I would split them into 2 days or maybe start with your favorite museum and take your time...if you don't get to all of them come back another time! Have a great trip
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions - Broadwaybox is pretty cool. I think I'll go that route.

JennaJ- Don't worry. We're doing the Nat'l History Museum on Sunday, Guggenheim Monday, Met Tues, and Whitney Weds. Not all on one day! Any suggestions on restaurants around the museums for a light lunch?

A friend wants me to pick her up Rainbow and Black & White cookies. She says any Jewish Bakery should have them. Does anyone know of a bakery near either the museums or the Sheraton at 7th Ave btwn 51st & 52nd?
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 03:29 PM

do a search here on "black and white cookies". this topic has come up a few times and there are some references to good bakeries on some of these posts. Both Wicked and Producers are selling out. Very unlikely for discounts. Canal St is best for knockoffs. They try to get much more $$ midtown, although are willing to negotiate. There are occasional 'busts' down in Chinatown, so sometimes the vendors are not out in full force. Have fun!
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:51 PM
jin

You just have to see 'The Boy from Oz'! We saw it last week when we were in NYC. Hugh Jackman is unbelievable, and it is an absolute must. We saw 'Wicked' - it's very good but just make sure that Kristen Chenoweth is appearing when you go, she was off sick when we went and that was a big disappointment. I got reduced priced tix from theatermania.com. (Playbill.com was offering the same discount - about $66-something plus other charges). Try not to miss 'The Boy from Oz' while Jackman is still in it - he is so amazing. I can't wait to see him again. Have a fantastic time!
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 06:47 PM

We found the handbag vendors to be out in full force only when the weather was nice. As soon as it started snowing we didn't see any. Got some good deals in the Times Square area. We found the purses in Chinatown and Canal street to be high priced knock-offs of knock-offs.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 03:23 AM

Playbill.com has a discount for "Cookin'" you can purchase tickets that are usually $65 for $45
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:20 AM

my wife and her girlfriends thrive on the knockoffs on Canal Street. you just have to find the right dealer and then bargain to get the best price.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 06:32 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why some people want to get knockoffs, when there are so many places you can get the real deal on discount in Manhattan! (ie. Century 21, Daffy's, Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, among others) I managed to get a Guess bag for $20 and a Gucci bag for $75 in Burlington last week....I'm guessing if it's a copy of the latest style, then maybe, but usually the quality of the knockoffs aren't that good.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Back to the topic of shows - we just saw "Wicked", "Boy from OZ" and "Forbidden Broadway". Kristin Chenoweth is a hoot, really IS that character, and Idina can SING! Wow.

The Boy from Oz was a big yawn for me and Hugh Jackman certainly knows how to sell himself, but it was light fun and at this time of year, the cast stays onstage for a bit after the performance because the Broadway Cares/AIDS fundraiser is occurring. There was an auction for some items that brought in $3,000 on Friday night at Wicked.

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 01:17 PM

You can also try bidding for tickets on eBay.