Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

a twist on the 'should I move to DC question' (where did you all go?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Alicia

for several of the people who do/did live in metro DC but are burned out and want to leave (or already did)

where did you go, what made you move, do you like it better or wish you had stayed? (do you miss the people?)

did you choose a truly quieter place to live (more rural) or did you just trade to a different city - different adventures, different flavor?

if you moved somewhere rural - did you find what you are looking for, do you like it or miss the hubbub of the city?

just curious. it appears that question got a lot of answers, even from people who no longer live there...

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Virginian

Moved to DC from Midwest right our of school for job. I lived first in the Georgetown area and then moved to No. Virginia to Old Town Aleexandria. I like the east coast area and specifically Virginia alot. The hours were however crazy. I worked 12 hour days normally and sometimes more, everyone did. Traffic was a nightmare and the cost of living was outrageous. Stayed in the area for 4 years. A little over a year ago I made a move to Richmond, Va and couldn't be happier.

Richmond is a smaller city of about 750,000 people, the perfect size in my opinion, big enough to have plenty to so, but not so big that the traffic is a nightmare. Cost of living a lot less then DC but still more than the the south. Has some really nice cultural activities, and good weather (not too hot, not too cold) I am still a little less than 2 hours from DC and can get there easily when I need a dose of THE town or want to visit friends.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Topper

TTT!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:00 AM
xxx

I lived at the Woodner as an intern and just plain missed my family. That's why I left. I also lived after college more central I left because I did not find a job that would cover my college loan bills as well as living expenses.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:11 PM
ttt

ttt