Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   A Tale of Two Cities on Broadway (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/a-tale-of-two-cities-on-broadway-412703/)

andrew8 Aug 13th, 2008 12:17 PM

A Tale of Two Cities on Broadway

I just read on playbill.com(thanks for the link Patrick) that Tale of Two Cities opens September 18th.

Does anything think that this play will be a hit like South Pacific?
I want to get tickets for my father in law for the fall as he loves musicals.
Since it's based on such a great story, I thought it could be a hit.

Centralparkgirl Aug 13th, 2008 12:27 PM

andrew8 - it's anybody's guess. Discount tix have been on sale for awhile. I'm wondering if it will be a bad 'Les Miz.' Having said that, I will probably go anyway to feed my B'way addiction. I'm hoping TDF will have tix at some point.

Keep in mind 'Pal Joey' and 'West Side Story' for your father-in-law. I have good feelings about WSS, especially with Arthur Laurents directing. And 'Irving Berlin's White Christmas.'

panecott Aug 13th, 2008 01:19 PM

Funny you should ask, Andrew, b/c I have had good feelings about this show for some reason.

I was also thinking it might be like Les Miz, only in a good sense.
Previews start next week and I'm going to give it a whirl, probably get tix close to opening night.

Centralparkgirl Aug 13th, 2008 01:26 PM

panecott - I hope you're right. I think I've been remembering disappointing musicals like 'Jekyll/Hyde.' But, as andrew8 said, it is based on a good story.

HowardR Aug 13th, 2008 04:09 PM

But so was Jekyl & Hyde!
The upcoming revival of West Side Story sounds most interesting. In a move towards more realisim, the Sharks will speak Spanish and there'll be subtitles!

andrew8 Aug 13th, 2008 04:26 PM

I didn't know about West Side Story.
When does it open?

Thank you for your help

NeoPatrick Aug 13th, 2008 04:36 PM

Am I to hang my head in shame that I actually loved Jekyl and Hyde?

West Side Story is to open in late February.

On a couple of theatre boards I participate in, the advance of Tale of Two Cities isn't too great -- but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. But I can assure you it's not going to be as wildly popular as South Pacific, unless after it opens if the critics go absolutely wild.

andrew8 Aug 13th, 2008 05:19 PM

Thank you Patrick

Any word on who's in the cast of West Side Story?

Rich Aug 13th, 2008 05:37 PM

Will it be a musical or a drama?

NeoPatrick Aug 13th, 2008 06:07 PM

Rich, ????
West Side Story is still a musical, with the re-creation of the original Jerome Robbins choreography, by the way.

A Tale of Two Cities is also a musical. Book,music, and lyrics are all by a female newcomer, whose name escapes me. I just googled three different articles about the show and none of them list that person -- how odd is that? The premiere in Sarasota last year got some mixed reviews. I missed it but a couple theatre friends said it was "dull as dirt" and very slow. That's all I know.

Rich Aug 13th, 2008 06:13 PM

Sorry . . I was wondering about the Tale of Two Cities . . hard to imagine that as a musical, but then others have succeeded.

We'll be in NYC in November and have tickets to South Pacific . . may try to get at least one of the others in also.

Thanks

Centralparkgirl Aug 13th, 2008 06:14 PM

NP - Jill Santoriello

NeoPatrick Aug 13th, 2008 06:15 PM

A Tale of Two Cities was turned into a musical to clearly try to copy the idea of Le Miserables. They are even advertising it as such.

Yes, Centralparkgirl, that's her name. I looked through two articles on Playbill.com that list the actors, directors, staff, producers, etc. but neither ever mentions who wrote the book, lyrics, or music. Isn't that terribly odd for a new Broadway musical?

Centralparkgirl Aug 13th, 2008 06:19 PM

Maybe it's an omen.

NeoPatrick Aug 13th, 2008 06:31 PM

Here was the review for the Asolo production (mostly going intact to Broadway):
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...URES/710280376

andrew8 Aug 13th, 2008 06:35 PM

Thanks for your help CP

panecott Aug 14th, 2008 09:42 AM

CPW,
I didn't see Jekyll and Hyde. For some reason, the idea didn't appeal to me.

I usually go by my instincts in deciding whether or not to see a show, regardless of what the critics or audiences say. And TOTC caught my attention for some reason. So, we'll see.

panecott Aug 14th, 2008 01:22 PM

CPG,
Sorry, I just realized I addressed you as CPW. Force of habit, I guess.

NeoPatrick Aug 14th, 2008 01:27 PM

CPW -- I thought she had just become a Woman instead of a Girl. :D

Centralparkgirl Aug 14th, 2008 02:37 PM

HaHa! I wouldn't mind if it were my address (even though you know I love the UES wherever that is).