Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A Special Evening in New York City (Jazz Clubs? Cozy Bar with View?)

Old Jun 13th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be celebrating a wedding anniversary during our upcoming visit to NYC and thought maybe to do something different than just an expensive dinner out. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice jazz club? Or maybe a very cozy intimate romantic bar with a nice view over the city? Or some other entertainment adventure for a special evening?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 04:29 AM

We went to Dizzy's club Coca Cola a few years ago. Highly recomment-very pleasant venue!
http://www.jalc.org/dccc/index09.asp

~Liz
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

elberko,
thanks for the suggestion, I have checked it out and looked through the site.

Anyone else??
Ideas?
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 08:51 AM

We loved the night we spent at the Iridium--a funky place downstairs in the Broadway theater neighborhood. It seemed so New York; so unlike what we have found in other US cities.

HTTY
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 10:50 AM

I confess that I'm just not into jazz clubs, but Cafe Carlyle is a New York institution and very special. Feinstein's at the Regency is also nice but even more expensive.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola is a great jazz venue, but, despite its view of the city beyond the stage, I would hardly call it cozy or romantic. Not least of the "problems" is the fact that you have to stand in line to get in, even with a reservation--hardly the most romantic way to spend your anniversary.

I'd call the Cafe Carlyle, Feinstein's and The Oak Room at the Algonquin quintessential New York supper clubs, not jazz clubs. All of them demand a price, but they're all more "romantic" than Dizzy's, The Blue Note or the Vanguard, New York's jazz institutions.

Have a look at http://bit.ly/10NwwD for New York magazine's suggestions for rooftop NYC bars. The Pen-Top on the roof of the Peninsula Hotel is pretty nifty, weather permitting. If the view isn't a necessity, one of New York's most famous (and romantic) bars is the King Cole Bar in the St. Regis Hotel, directly across Fifth Avenue from the Peninsula. The King Cole is a landmark. Actually, it might be nice to hit both of them, then, have a nice dinner somewhere (many of us can offer suggestions), and then, maybe, take in a late set at one of the aforementioned jazz spots.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Depends on your age but the Carnegie Club has a Sinatra tribute show on Sat. nights. Warning though, it's a cigar bar.

Top of the Tower at the Beekman Tower hotel has nice views and live music on some nights. Check before you go to make sure it's not closed for a private party.

La Lanterna in Greenwich Village is a casual Italian with live jazz.

The outdoor terrace of the River Cafe is one of the most magical spots in NYC (imo) in pleasant weather. No dress code like the restaurant but $25/person minimum for drinks and/or small food choices.

You might also want to consider one of the sunset cruises like
shearwatersailing.com
sail-nyc.com