Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   A southern Utah itinerary change of plans. We don't want a forced march but would like to see as much as possible. Your thoughts on these plans would be very much appreciated! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/a-southern-utah-itinerary-change-of-plans-we-dont-want-a-forced-march-but-would-like-to-see-as-much-as-possible-your-thoughts-on-these-plans-would-be-very-much-appreciated-304342/)

jaspertl Apr 6th, 2003 06:12 PM

A southern Utah itinerary change of plans. We don't want a forced march but would like to see as much as possible. Your thoughts on these plans would be very much appreciated!

I thought that our trip was pretty much figured out but then we spoke with friends who said that we shouldn't miss Mesa Verde and Monument Valley.....so....How does this sound?<BR>We leave October 12. <BR>Day 1 Fly to Las Vegas in the morning<BR>2 nights in Zion (reservations at lodge)<BR>2 nights in Bryce (reservations at lodge)<BR>Drive to Fry Canyon by way of 12 north to 24 east to 95 south<BR>1 night in Fry Canyon (on the way to Mesa Verde) Mapquest says that from Fry Canyon to Mesa Verde is a 152 mile 4 hour drive??)<BR>1 night in Mesa Verde<BR>1 night in ??? I need a suggestion on where to stay on the way back to Las Vegas. Mexican Hat or Page seemed like 2 options but maybe there is something in between the two.<BR>1 night in St. George<BR>Leave L.V. for home <BR><BR>That is 8 nights and we could stretch it out another night if you think this is to much driving...we don't want it to be a forced march...<BR>does this sound feasible? <BR><BR>Map Quest says:<BR>Bryce to Fry Canyon- 5 1/2 hrs. (231 miles)<BR><BR>Fry Canyon to Mesa Verde- 152 miles 4 hours<BR><BR>Mesa Verde to Mexican Hat- 117 Miles 3 1/2 hrs.<BR>OR<BR>From Mesa Verde to Page - 232 miles (7 hrs of driving time)which seems like way to much time on the road to me<BR><BR><BR><BR>

jaspertl Apr 7th, 2003 09:11 AM

ttt

shao_lin Apr 7th, 2003 09:22 AM

There are a lot of &quot;must see&quot; locations in southern Utah and eastern Colorado and the four-corners. Mesa Verda is a &quot;must see&quot; but so are some of the other places you won't have time to see. Have you considered saving Mesa Verda for another time and spending the eight days in Zions/Bryce/Grand Staircase/Capital Reef/Arches/Canyonlands? I fear your eight days will go too fast and you'll wish you had spent more time at fewer sites.

retired_readytogo Apr 7th, 2003 09:51 AM

I agree with previous poster--save Mesa Verde for another time.<BR>I love your term 'forced march&quot;<BR>I been on those--not fun..

quimbymoy Apr 7th, 2003 12:45 PM

Agreed with other posts. Along with Bryce &amp; Zion, I would also stop at Capitol Reef. It's a nice quiet park, a difference from the other 2 parks.<BR><BR>As an aside, I am 2 weeks from a trip to Monument Valley &amp; Mesa Verde, doing a loop from Albuquerque of the Four Corners area!<BR><BR>Tina

jaspertl Apr 7th, 2003 03:01 PM

Have a great time Tina...be sure and post a trip report when you get back.<BR><BR>Shao-lin...yes, your suggestion of Canyonland and Arches was our first plan until we changed it to go to Mesa Verde...actually it seemed like almost as much driving to go north to Moab and then head all the way back to Las Vegas, as it does to go east to mesa verde and then back (I could be wrong though :0)<BR><BR>I'm still thinking that although it might be a lot of driving, I don't know when we'll have the opportunity to get back to this area. <BR><BR>If I spent another night somewhere along the way it would give us 9 nights and 10 days...<BR><BR><BR>

Christa Apr 7th, 2003 04:00 PM

Go for it.<BR><BR>This trip sounds great.<BR>I did a similar road trip through the southwest because coming from New Zealand, I felt I had to see as much as I could because I might not get another chance. <BR><BR>People thought we were mad but I loved it. <BR>From Mesa Verde - Las Vegas consider going via the Hoover Dam.<BR>That gives you the option of Monument Valley (sigh) the Grand Canyon (gorgeous) or Flagstaff for overnight accom.<BR><BR>We drove from Cortez to Grand Canyon in one day. Stopped at Monument Valley on the way and arrived at the G/C around 3:30 pm.<BR><BR>Mexican Hat is pretty small, like a garage and a general store and motel (going on memory)<BR><BR><BR>Have fun.<BR><BR>Christa<BR>

utahtea Apr 8th, 2003 07:19 AM

<BR>jaspertl,<BR><BR>If you can squeeze out one more nite I would do it.<BR><BR>Spend two nights at Mesa Verde. If you are going to drive all that way you will want to spend some time going thought the ruins. Make sure you do at least one of the three guide tours that are offered.<BR><BR>On the way back spend a night in Gouldings or Kayenta near Monument Valley. <BR><BR>The last night spend in either Page, AZ or Springdale, Utah. You might as well have a really beautiful setting on your last night.<BR><BR>Using 10 days shouldn't be to bad for this trip. <BR><BR>I know you've been trying to decided which route to do. <BR><BR>The Hwy 12, Moab route is approx. 1100 miles round trip. This trip will take you to some very interesting and beautiful scenery.<BR><BR>The Fry Canyon, Mesa Verde trip is approx. 1200 miles and will have more of a historical flavor.<BR><BR>Utahtea

jaspertl Apr 8th, 2003 08:01 AM

OK....thanks for the reply.<BR>If I go to Springdale from Monument Valley, is it a two lane highway from there? I know you've mentioned that Mapquest isn't 100% accurate. What do you think the drive time would be from MV to Springdale, and would we be going further north again by staying there, vs, Kanab or St. George?<BR>You also mentioned Page....I was hoping to get a little closer to LV for our trip home the next day...would you know the drive time from Page to LV, vs Kanab or St. George? <BR><BR>How does anyone plan a trip without the help of this unique board? Thanks so much in advance!!!

utahtea Apr 8th, 2003 08:59 AM

From Monument Valley you have two main choices to get to Las Vegas. <BR><BR>Down to Flagstaff and Kingman coming in at 428 miles and from 7 1/2 to 8 hours total driving. Not as scenic.<BR><BR>The second and more scenic route is just 400 miles. Take Hwy 160 to Hwy 98 to Page, AZ then take Hwy 89 to Kanab, UT. Hwy 98 is a paved two lane short cut that will save 55 miles instead of going to Tuba City and up hwy 89 to Page.<BR><BR>I would not recommend Alt Hwy 89 by Jacob Lake. It's a slower drive thought windy mountain roads. It's a nice drive if you have the time and are going to the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon.<BR><BR>From Kanab, UT you have a choice between going back thought Zion NP on Hwy's 89 and 9 or going south to Fredonia on Hwy's 89, 389 &amp; 59. It's a toss up on the miles. The second route is a scenic route if you don't want to go back thought Zion. Pipe Springs National Monument is right off the hwy. If you go this way check out Colordo City. All the woman will be dressed in long dress with long sleeves. They still pratice polgamy here!<BR><BR>Mileages: <BR><BR>Gouldings to Page, AZ 125 miles (Hwy 160 &amp; 98) <BR><BR>Gouldings to Kanab, UT 200 miles<BR><BR>Gouldings to Springdale, UT 243 miles<BR><BR>Gouldings to St. George, UT 283 miles<BR><BR>Gouldings to Las Vegas, NV 403 miles<BR><BR>All of these roads are two lanes and the last time I was there they were all in good condition.<BR><BR>Utahtea<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

JackOneill Apr 8th, 2003 09:14 AM

<BR><BR>To me, some of the fun of a trip such as the one you have planned, is the driving. The sights you'll see from the road can be quite awesome in Utah. Also, be aware that there arre lots of little places off the side of the road, or down some one lane dirt road, that may warrant a stop.<BR><BR>For instance, there are loads of small ghost towns and petroglyph inscribed canyon walls. Most of these don't make it into the more traditional guide books. Some of them are word-of-mouth. So, keep your ears and eyes open. And allow the time.<BR><BR>I too would save Mesa Verde for another trip.