Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > A small tip that we always use at Maui airport.

A small tip that we always use at Maui airport.

Jun 19th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Chuck

A small tip that we always use at Maui airport.

Just thought I would share a tip that seems to save us time and frustration when traveling with at least on other person to Maui since the airport is very manageable in size.
When you arrive at maui, one person immediately goes for the rental car the other waits for the luggage with a rented luggage cart. This saves time and is so much easier than carting all the luggage on to the bus and off again and carting it to the car spot at the rental lot. Once all the luggage is returieved, wheel the cart to the road (pick an approximate spot for the rendezvous) and wait for the rental car. Pickup the passenger, load the luggage and your off. You will see some people doing this but most don't and we have no problem with the rendezvous spot as most are going to the rental car location and there are plenty of standing locations curbside at baggage claim.

Jun 19th, 2002, 06:16 AM
xxx

My plan for Lihue only traveling with little sister and I think she will buckle when I ask her to split with me.

Jun 19th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Bill

Just returned, and I agree - Chuck's suggestion works great. Two warnings: they will "ticket" your car even if left for 1 minute with trunk open to move luggage, although the ticket that I got was a warning only.
Also, at the Kauai airport they were hand searching every piece of CHECKED baggage, so be prepared for a possible wait and for all of your baggage contents in public view.

Jun 19th, 2002, 06:46 AM
xxx

yuck yuck yuck bill but thanks

Jun 19th, 2002, 07:06 AM
calli

We do this in every city we travel to, not just Maui.

Jun 19th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Chuck

I agree with Calli that this of course works anywhere. I think it works really nice in Hawaii as other than Honolulu the island airports are all rather small and the timing is pretty good if you split up and its easy to get back to the terminal and met up again.

Jun 19th, 2002, 08:28 AM
kal

We, too have been doing this routine ever since our 2nd trip to Kauai.

Last year we set a record at were sitting at the Sand Bar at The Islander within approx 15 mins of walking up the ramp to the terminal.
Only had 2.5 small bags and the rental shuttle was just pulling out.
Nobody in the rental office and traffic to Kapaa was almost nil...It was a sign!!!
Kal

Jun 19th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Sarah

Kal what do you mean rental shuttle don't you just walk across the street in Lihue. We did but we arrived at 6pm do they make you take a shuttle at other times?

Jun 19th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Suzie

Sarah, don't you walk across the street to the rental kiosk and then take a little shuttle to get your car or is it only with Budget?

Jun 19th, 2002, 09:44 AM
kal

Sarah,
I usually hoof it over to the back lot where Dollar is located. After a 5-6 hr plane ride, it feels good!. Fresh air too!
It used to be simple until they fenced the lot a few years back and even more now due to added security.
This time, the shuttle was just pulling out and he stopped for me since he was empty and I waved.

We have rented from the places across the cross walk from baggage before but there were usually long lines since some flights come in within mins. of each other.
We flew the direct from SFO on United so it wasn't that crowded when we arrived. ZIP!

We had also rented off prem one time. About a 5 min ride down past the Ballpark into the little warehouse district and not worth the hassle/savings factor IMHO.
Kal

Jun 19th, 2002, 11:03 AM
LOL

Some people take a small trip on Maui and never leave the farm!!!!

Jun 19th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Sarah

Suz must have been the time we have flown in. They brought the car around to us. Can still here my sister let's all stay together panicking that I would go for interisland tickets in Honolulu or the bags while they got the rental in Kauai. I'm sure she will be better this year. Other times I do remember a shuttle of sorts but I get my islands mixed up also.

So psched to take that direct flight in from SFO. I probably could have saved a 100 a ticket and that does matter. ...but I am happy to land in the AM and avoid HNL.

Kal is it just about what price is right for you. Or did you not find the direct plane a time saver.

Jun 19th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Sarah

Kal is it whatever deal is on with rental or does one give better deals over the other in your experience?

Jun 20th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Ruth

How does it work to split up when both of you (say husband & wife) want to be drivers? Doesn't the car rental company want info from both of you or am I remembering wrong?

Jun 20th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Sarah

In our case Ruth there were six of us and I don't drive

Jun 20th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Suzie

Sarah! You don't drive? Ever? Or just not on vacation? Oh my, girlfriend, you are not from CA are you?!

I drive at home but I'd rather be driven while on vacation and since we get the convertible there is no problem with DH doing all the driving!

Ruth, if there are just two of you and you both want to drive it is really no big deal for you both to hop on the shuttle.

Jun 20th, 2002, 09:38 AM
small trip!!!!

I agree with LOL.
Take a "small" trip on maui wowwy and you won't even need an airport.

Jun 20th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Sarah

Suzie I had epilepsy at 17 that has since gone away but now I live in NYC and owning a car is a hassle. It is a goal to learn mainly for jaunts outside the city and I have downloaded instructions to take that test.

It gets scary as you get older. I worry about running someone over. You are reminding me to study for that learner's permit.

Jun 20th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Suzie

Agree that NYers don't need cars. We must have them in CA. When I visited NYC alone at age 26 I rented a car and drove around the city all by myself. I never even thought that it would be an odd thing to do. When ever I tell others I did that they can't believe it. A car in NYC? I laugh now.

Jun 21st, 2002, 06:31 AM
kal

Sarah, I hate to admit it but we've been known to actually use a travel agent from time to time to get us the best deals on air, rentals, SF airport hotels.

We've been with her for quite some time now so she knows our style, ie "pay a bit more for hassle avoidance".
She also knows we use the internet so we know a good deal if she offers it to us.
The past few years, she's got us good deals at SF hotels the night before we fly to Kauai, "Stay, park and fly", and we get anywhere from 10 to 21 days free parking. She also gets "Fly and ride" deals for airfare and rental cars. And she knows we like the rental agcy. on premises.

We LOVED the direct flight from SFO to Lihue! It wasn't much more $$$ than SF to Honolulu to Lihue on non-cattle car airlines, if I recall correctly.

191!
HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SUMMER!
Kal
ps to Suuuuuz-What? You don't take advantage of the fine PubTrans here in our fine city? ha.

Search this Thread