Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A short report on a weekend in Pittsburgh and Fallingwater.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:11 AM
cd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fallingwater, a Frank Lloyd Wright home, was the weekend home of the Ksuffmans. It is amazing. It is built over a waterfall and you can actually walk down stairs from the living room into the stream. http://www.paconserve.org/index-fw1.asp
It is an hour from Pittsburgh and well worth a day trip.

While in Pittsburgh we took the Incline up to Mt Washington and ate at the Grandview and asked for a window seat in order to look a the merging of three rivers below us and the city of Pittsburgh. They have outside patio's which would be great on a pleasant day.

We spent a couple hours at the Andy Warhol Museaum and found it interesting. He was a artist of many talents.

We thought we would enjoy The Strip district as we like diversity and differant cultures but after a walk up the street we found it to be IMHO tacky and seedy. We did not stay.

Pittsburgh and Fallingwater was a nice weekend get-a-way and a pleasant drive from Ohio.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the report cd. We are going to Pittsburgh for a wedding in a few weeks and plan to visit the Warhol Museum. I've made reservations at Lidia's and I think that is in the Strip District so I'll let you know what I think.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:52 PM
cd
Original Poster

Suki
I would love to know what you think! Our cab driver that picked us up said there was another Strip to the South and maybe that would have been better. ?????
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 01:40 AM

Were you really in the strip? It sounds like a strange place and the strip just consists of Italian, ethnic and bulk stores.

by the way you were right, fallingwater is a really neat place to visit. the architecture is amazing and the serenity the people who occupied it must have experienced once they got there, with the stream and quiet, must have been awesome.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Actually, our tour guide admitted that the house was pretty much unlivable, and the Kaufmanns sold it after a few years. It was damp and mildewy (duh) and the stucco-type roof and wall covering kept cracking and leaking.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 09:45 AM

If you are a fan of Wright, you really must see Kentuck Knob, only a few miles from Fallingwater. It's wonderful. http://www.kentuckknob.com/

As far as Lidia's, I really enjoyed the Pasta Tasting Trio (changes daily).
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:26 AM
cd
Original Poster

capxxx
I really don't think your tour guide knew what he was talking about. The home was built in 1935 and the senior Kaufmans used it weekends in the summer and a couple of weekends in the winter. and then when Sr. diedtaken from their website)..."After his father’s death in 1955, Edgar Kaufmann jr. inherited Fallingwater, and continued to use it as a mountain retreat until 1963. Then, following his father’s wishes, he entrusted it and several hundred acres of land to Western Pennsylvania Conservancy as a conservation in memory of his parents. He guided the organization’s thinking about the administration and programming of Fallingwater, and was a frequent visitor after tours began in 1964"