Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   A Rant About Outsourcing (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/a-rant-about-outsourcing-722116/)

Sher Jul 19th, 2007 04:45 AM

A Rant About Outsourcing

My 84 year old parents are flying to Reno to attend a funeral. Since the tickets were last minute it was difficult to obtain seats. They have health problems and I wanted First Class tickets. I did get them seats on United PIT-DEN-RNO.

This morning at 5:00am I checked the flight status. The flight had been cancelled I found out later because of crew problems.

This is where the fun begins. The female rep from United located who knows where could not find us tickets on any flights out of PIT until tomorrow. When I insisted, she finally said the only thing she could book was on US Airways with a double connect in coach. The coach part I didn't like but the double connect bothered me.

She refused to transfer me to anyone in the US. She said to call back. What good would that do?

I didn't understand that for $1600 a ticket why they just would not book them on another carrier. But she said it wasn't possible. I told her that with all of the flights leaving Pittsburgh why could she just book on another carrier.

I asked for a supervisor. No Go. Then I did decide to call back. The next agent did put us on a Delta flight through Atlanta.

The first rep had no idea where Pittsburgh or Reno is, I don't think. Nor does she realize there are other airlines flying from here.

Thanks for listening or rather reading.

gail Jul 19th, 2007 05:06 AM

You are now welcome to join my "I hate United Customer non-service" club. I would swear you spoke to the same person in India I spoke with 2 summers ago (except my person was male) who kept insisting Wyoming was not part of US and one nedded passport to fly Boston-Jackson Hole. When I asked to speak with a supervisor, he hung up on me. If misery loves company, I share your frustration.

martym Jul 19th, 2007 05:07 AM

I'm glad it worked out for you. My experience with airline outsourced customer service has been like yours. I just keep calling back until I get someone who will do what I need done. It is unfortunate that airline customers have to waste their time doing this. But that's the way it is now.

J_Correa Jul 19th, 2007 08:43 AM

I had to call American a few months back to change our flights and was pleasantly surprised by the service. I don't know where the guy I spoke with was located, but he was clearly an American. We were on the phone for awhile since the changes ended up being complicated, but he was personable and patient the entire time, even chatty when we were waiting for the computers to to their thing.

Perhaps United should take a lesson and bring their customer service departments back state-side.

DRJ Jul 19th, 2007 09:03 AM

Ah, the joys of Delta! My wife is a medallion and thus has access to the SMS number (special member services). Never outsourced.

Liz5959 Jul 19th, 2007 09:34 AM

United does seem to be the worst. When I finally got someone in India that I could actually understand, I asked him what was the best way to by pass the menu options if I needed to get back to them (which of course I did need to do). He said "just keep saying Agent, Agent, Agent and you will get through." My DH and I now have a sort of private joke whenever we are tying to get through any customer service menu, and just point out to each other "just yell Agent, Agent, Agent in a feint Indian Accent" and it will all be ok :)

travelinwifey Jul 19th, 2007 09:42 AM

Doesn't Rule 240 (passenger rights) say the airline has to put you on the next availible flight when the cancellation is not due to weather? Anyone know for certain?

Barbara Jul 19th, 2007 09:44 AM

Liz, and others, here's a handy web site:

http://gethuman.com/

FainaAgain Jul 19th, 2007 11:48 AM

My deepest sympathy on your loss and airline problems. Cyber-hugs!

Dotty6 Jul 19th, 2007 12:07 PM

Sorry to hear of the problems you encountered and your parents bereavement. As you may have noted from my trip report, we encountered problems trying to get a connection from Chicago to Rapid City. After being delayed 12 hours (and having been up since early to travel to the airport) then the 8 hour flight we were totally exhausted by the time we got to Chicago. We then had to queue for nearly an hour before being told that although they thought they had sorted a flight for us it could not be found on the computer and that we would have to return to the airport later that morning to see if we could get a stand by seat. After getting to the hotel at 3 am we were back at the airport at 7.30 am to be told there was nothing available anywhere near our destination either direct or indirect and it would be two days before we could get a seat.

The final leg of our return journey, again with BMI, was not much better. We were given the two middle seats of the section of four which wasn't very convenient on a long haul flight. When it came to serving dinner there was a choice of three dishes, but when my husband made his choice she snapped at him, saying there were only two choices left even though I could have had the dish he ordered on my side of the plane!! We found their service to be very poor. No water was offered during the night flight and the person I was sitting next to had drunk two bottles of wine and had taken a sleeping pill which meant I was stuck in my seat for over five hours!!
Think it will be a long time before I can face a journey by plane again.

Dot

Liz5959 Jul 19th, 2007 02:44 PM

Barbara,

Very useful website, thanks! I'm sure I'll use it way too often.

rkkwan Jul 19th, 2007 06:55 PM

Sorry I got to this thread late. Don't know if this has been resolved. But assuming they're on a full fare first ($1,600 per person and it's likely), they could have just booked with another airline if they have first class seats with just one connection; and ask for a refund for the UA ticket.

trippinkpj Jul 19th, 2007 07:05 PM

We've also had to make changes with American and they have. For either a low or no charge.

Sher Jul 20th, 2007 07:43 AM

My parents finally made it to Reno after a horible day. Oh, by the way no luggage.

They flew on Delta and I have to say that the agent both at the ticket counter and at the gate (I decided to go with them and good thing) could not have been more helpful. Thank you Gregory. They must put him eveywhere).

This morning we received a call from United (at 5:00am Reno time) saying they were putting us on the flight today. Well, I had to get out of bed and call them. I was concerned that if we did not show up today in Pittsburgh at the airport for that rebooked flight, the return segment would be automatically cancelled.

I really had a difficult time making the agent on the phone understand that I was ALREADY in Reno as they had rebooked me yesterday. Then I had to make sure that she reconfirmed the return on Sunday.

I hope she understood me.

Now to call the airport to see if our luggage has arrived.

Thanks for all of the support.