Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   A quote on Why we Travel 2 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/a-quote-on-why-we-travel-2-a-539486/)

gyppielou Jun 25th, 2005 06:44 PM

A quote on Why we Travel 2

Aloha friends, I think I fumbled the first try, so I will try to share this again. I've been reading Goldie Hawns book. She makes a remarkable statement on travel.

"I have found that when we go on a journey, we buy time, because we give our full attention. We are present and conscious because all the newness of our surroundings keeps us sparked and alert. Travel prolongs our time, I think. I like to call it "rubber time." How often do we say to ourselves, Where did that year go? Hey, where did that week go? But if we go away to some place that holds a little interest for us, every moment will be filled with wonder, and our brains will peak.

Good times everyone
Amen Goldie, Amen!

gyppielou Jun 26th, 2005 09:49 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded to my original post. I messed up the quote though so am topping this one. Goldie's book is a wonderful summertime read, rich and generous.

earl30 Jun 26th, 2005 12:26 PM

goldie hawn is a travel expert now?

rubber time? now that sounds like something goldie might be an expert on.

jlm_mi Jun 26th, 2005 12:55 PM

earl30 - So, I trust that you are either a "travel expert" (not sure who defines that one) or don't offer your opinion on travel anywhere, right?

I'm not sure why Goldie Hawn would have to be a travel expert to make a statement regarding travel.

But gyppielou, thanks for posting this quote. It really struck home with me!!!! I saw an article about her book and really wanted to read it. Now having another opinion that it's worth a read may give me the kick in the pants I need to actually go out and get it. ;)

iceeu2 Jun 26th, 2005 01:31 PM

Dear ms. lou,

Since you obviously are a newcomer to this board, I have just a bit of constructive criticism for you.

If you will click on your name or hit refresh or go back and forth and click your heels twice, you will not bother us with your "double posts" thereby creating unnecessary threads!!!!!

I like Goldie...are you enjoying her book?

Sorry, lou, but you did need to know this and you also need to know that there are lots and lots of bugs and rain and chickens on Kauai.;)

jlm_mi Jun 26th, 2005 01:37 PM

Chickens on Kauai!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Scarlett Jun 26th, 2005 03:45 PM

gyppielou isn't a newcomer!
She is an oldtimer LOL Now doesn't that make you feel better gyppie? LOL

over the past few days, there have been several multiple postings due to Fodors taking a bit longer than usual to show them..
I answered the other one..I like this quote. I agree, when we travel , we are so much more In The Moment! I think that is why I can remember a day in March in Paris much clearer than I can remember last Wednesday..(which I cannot remember at all ) :)

iceeu2 Jun 26th, 2005 03:59 PM

Wake up and pack Scarlett! I know gyppielou isn't a newcomer...It was one of them BAD fodor's jokes!

gyppielou Jun 26th, 2005 04:02 PM

You're both correct! I'm newly old! Good times!

Scarlett Jun 26th, 2005 04:08 PM

iceeu2! Mine was even Badder LOL

Please, don't make me pack anymore today!!