A Quick Trip to Palm Springs.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2020, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts

On March 10th I flew to Palm Springs to celebrate a big birthday at the home of an old friend. It was the beginning of the do-I-dare-fly time and after discussing it with my friends, we'd decided to proceed. The first place of an entertainment sort we visited was The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens. Though I'd been to the Palm Springs area many times in years past, I'd never heard of the place. Maybe because I was always staying with resident friends and just hanging out but it was a surprise to me that I'd managed to not notice an attraction of that size for so long. In any case, here's one of my pictures, below, and here are a bunch more:

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/the...ert-california

Old Jun 20th, 2020, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to love to go there when I had a weekend in Palm Desert. In addition to the zoo, there is a reserve and hiking trails. Often saw the Bighorn Sheep back there.

Apparently they have reopened, although temps are already in the mid-100's. Hours 7 to 1:30 pm in summer.
Old Jun 21st, 2020, 02:39 PM

Lovely photos and sustaining memories, MmePerdu, glad it worked out.
Old Jun 21st, 2020, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice! Thank you for sharing.
Old Jun 21st, 2020, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks y'all.

Friday the 13th was my birthday. What better way to spend it than with a visit to a desert garden, Moorten's Botanical Garden, begun in 1938. Then in the evening to my friends' favorite Thai restaurant in La Quinta, and for dessert, mango & sticky rice with a candle!

I've seen a lot of desert plants but never one with color quite like this one below!

And more here: https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/moo...ngs-california

Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 02:24 PM

Wonderful that you were able to make this trip! Wonderful shots. As you wrote, good zoos are very different today. Thanks for this, Mme. P.
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

It was wonderful! I learned years ago to never assume we have all the time in the world.
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Airports tend not to be the subjects of trip reports, but on landing at Palms Springs International Airport I was struck by what an un-airport-like place it was. So 4 days later when it was time to fly home I took pictures, thinking that it was so unusual it might find a place among the other stories. It had been a very long time since I'd flown into PSP, not long before my 40th birthday, though a number of driving visits when I lived in LA. Now 75, I was back and though I shouldn't have been surprised to find it so changed, it was the nature of the changes that had me so interested. (On the website where I post my travel stories we used it for one of the Where in the World is Travel Gumbo series, hence the reference to Gumbo, our traveling mascot.)

One of several bighorn sheep sculptures in the garden that's the center of the airport, you can see more of the place here:
https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/pal...-gumbo-was-377

Old Jun 24th, 2020, 04:54 PM

Greetings, Mme Perdu! Seeing the thread's title, I at first thought you'd just returned from Palm Springs. I see now this was just before *it* hit the fan!
Thank you for your photos and descriptions. These will be useful, as my travel vistas/dream for the foreseeable future are for only in-state destinations.

Giraffes! There's a place like that in Nairobi. Living Desert Zoo is lots closer for the grandchild!

So true: "never assume we have all the time in the world."
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Until now I wouldn't have considered a 4 day visit with friends worthy of writing about. How things can change & I'm feeling so grateful for those 4 days & the consequent attitude adjustment that allows me to share it.

I was just thinking along those lines today with the hope that shifts in my thinking about lots of things will stick after all is said & done, that I come out the other end permanently aware of how lucky I am. I've known it but now to live every day in the knowledge.
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 01:38 PM

"... how lucky I am. I've known it but now to live every day in the knowledge." Indeed!! Like you, I hope cherishing daily small pleasures--or brief trips-- never dissipates.

Example: ​​​​​Monterey Aquarium--1.5 hours drive from Oakland, and one of family's favorite areas in the world--is due to reopen next month. Every bit as excited about that --with maybe a two day stay--as I've have ever been about an upcoming, more distant, international trip.