Search

A proposed Sedona itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A proposed Sedona itinerary

Hello Fellow Fodorites,
We are thinking of visiting Sedona and the surrounding area in early July, and were hoping for some feedback/suggestions on the following itinerary. We've tried to group attractions/activities based on location. Using Sedona as our base, and not necessarily in this order:
Day 1 - get an early start and visit Montezuma Castle ruins, and Fort Verde Historical Park. In the afternoon (if it's not too hot!) take bikes on the Bell Rock Pathway in Oak Creek Village area.
Day 2 - Visit the Tuzigoot ruins, then spend some time in Jerome.
Day 3 - Visit the Out of Africa Wildlife Park - OR - head over to Slide Rock State Park for some swimming, relaxing and a picnic. In the late afternoon take one of the Pink Jeep Tours to catch the sunset's effect on the Red Rocks (perhaps the ancient ruins tour?)
Day 4 - Spend the day in the Flagstaff area - touring the Sunset Crater / Wupatki ruins "loop" and the Lowell Observatory.
Day 5 - Maybe do a guided ATV tour - OR - visit a spa - OR - rent a motorcycle and ride along Oak Creek Canyon, etc.
Day 6 - Drive back down to Phoenix and swim and relax at the hotel. Check out the Heard Museum and, if the weather isn't too unbearable, the Desert Botanical Gardens.
Does this sound do-able? Overly ambitious perhaps? We want to enjoy the scenery, experience the history of the Sinegua ruins, and do some hiking, biking, swimming, etc.
A big concern is the weather this time of year. I know it will be very hot, but what about the "monsoon season?" How frequent are the downpours and how long do they typically last? Given this proposed schedule, could the weather be dangerous and/or significantly impact our plans? (After all, getting swept away in a "flash flood' is NOT on the itinerary!)
Any and all feedback and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Larz
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:03 PM

"what about the "monsoon season?" How frequent are the downpours and how long do they typically last?"

Very rarely rains in the AM, typical monsoon pattern is afternoon clouds building up, occasionally followed by rains late afternoon or early evening (can be very heavy in some places, clear in others).

Usually it won't rain very long, keep in mind that total rain for an entire year averages about 8" and about half of that comes in the winter.

"Drive back down to Phoenix and swim and relax at the hotel. Check out the Heard Museum and, if the weather isn't too unbearable, the Desert Botanical Gardens."

Botanical Gardens is not bad when it first opens, plus you'll have a much better chance of seeing a lot of birds and maybe other wildlife. By mid-day in July it's pretty hot, so suggestion is to visit DGB early, then the Heard later in the day.

could the weather be dangerous and/or significantly impact our plans?

Probably not 'dangerous' so long as you're not driving during a big afternoon storm. The dust storms can be incredible but typically just 2-3 per summer. Just make sure you have a place to go (hotel, typically) if the weather calls for heavy afternoon storms.

Here's an amazing link to the biggest dust storm I've ever seen in Phoenix, last July (same month you're visiting). You could see it coming a long way off.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/stor...st-storm_n.htm

(After all, getting swept away in a "flash flood' is NOT on the itinerary!)

Don't drive into a flooded wash and you'll be fine. The images of people on their car roofs as the car floats down a creekbed are real but literally millions of people in Phoenix are smart enough to never have this happen to them
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:34 AM

For hiking I would suggest the West Fork Trail Oak Creek Canyon north of town. Beautiful and shady.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think you need to put in a day or two of just some down time. Otherwise, you will have a great trip.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:44 PM

Day 1 - get an early start and visit Montezuma Castle ruins, and Fort Verde Historical Park. In the afternoon (if it's not too hot!) take bikes on the Bell Rock Pathway in Oak Creek Village area. [a minor point, but the actual name is "Village of Oak Creek" or "Village," for short. The Oak Creek "area" is miles from there!]

Do Day 1 the other way around. Bike early in the morning--maybe before going out to breakfast. Drive to Montezuma Castle in the afternoon. Skip Fort Verde. If you want more Indian ruins, see Palatki (un-retouched; reservations required) and/or Honanki. All 3 in 1 day would be a lot.

Day 2 - Visit the Tuzigoot ruins, then spend some time in Jerome. Have lunch in Clarkdale at Su Casa after Tuzigoot. Spend the afternoon in Jerome and have dinner there at the Asylum (because my neighbors own it) or at one of the fun burger or pizza places.

Day 3 - Visit the Out of Africa Wildlife Park - OR - head over to Slide Rock State Park for some swimming, relaxing and a picnic. Each of those activities is easily half a day. In the late afternoon take one of the Pink Jeep Tours to catch the sunset's effect on the Red Rocks (perhaps the ancient ruins tour?)

Day 4 - Spend the day in the Flagstaff area - touring the Sunset Crater / Wupatki ruins "loop" and the Lowell Observatory. I'd recommend skipping this. If you can't stand another day of hiking in breathtaking Sedona, drive 2 hours to the Grand Canyon.

Day 5 - Maybe do a guided ATV tour - OR - visit a spa - OR - rent a motorcycle and ride along Oak Creek Canyon, etc.

The West Fork hike mentioned above is nice - and partly shady. Boynton Canyon also has some shade. People mostly come here for the scenery and peace and quiet. Sounds like you like "motors." If you don't like hiking or beautiful scenery, spend a day in the galleries (though you cannot see them all in one day). Spend a couple hours in Uptown (tourist shops: gifts, galleries, food). Then a couple hours at Exposures (the largest gallery in town, and most-varied). And allow half a day for Tlaquepaque, an artisan village of many, many shops, beautiful strolling...if on a weekend, outdoor music...And I haven't even mentioned the shops at Hillside or Hozho.

Day 6 - Drive back down to Phoenix and swim and relax at the hotel. Check out the Heard Museum and, if the weather isn't too unbearable, the Desert Botanical Gardens.

I'd skip this, although worthy, and spend another day in Sedona--or, as I mentioned, at the Grand Canyon.

To choose your hikes, go to the Hike House and punch in on the computer the distance and elevation you want to do. It will show you pictures of what to expect. I think they also have a smart phone app (my neighbor built one; don't know who sells it).

Does this sound do-able? Overly ambitious perhaps?

Yes, as you suspected, you are "heavy on ambition." There is a public swimming pool in town. Slide Rock State Park can get crowded if you don't get there early--you could be sitting in your car in a queue for 2 hours to get in. Lots of room once you get in.
We want to enjoy the scenery, experience the history of the Sinegua ruins, and do some hiking, biking, swimming, etc.

A big concern is the weather this time of year. Wet weather will not be dangerous. Hot weather can be. You need to drink 1 quart of water per hour, even if not hiking. It's very DRY here. You also need hats. Do not wear sandals hiking or start any hike after 4:00. (These are the ways tourists get stranded or die--over-hiking, starting late, wrong shoes, not carrying enough water...and in town: jay walking after dark.)

We have two visitors' centers, one run by the Forest Service between I-17 (highway from Phoenix) and the Village; and another in Uptown run by the Chamber of Commerce. Both have knowledgeable, pleasant volunteers to help you identify what you want to do and when.

All other "visitor centers" are time-share sales come-ons. Take the proffered freebies only if you're comfortable spending 90-120 minutes sitting through the presentation, and possibly walking away owning a little piece of Sedona for a week.

We *love* Sedona. Hope you do, too!
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all - for the extensive and detailed feedback and suggestions! As we've been to the Grand Canyon before, the Flagstaff area's sights and trails(Walnut Canyon's cliff dwellings, Wupatki, Sunset Crater)look interesting. Has anyone taken the Pink Jeep "ancient ruins tour" to the recommended Honanki ruins? Thanks also for the heads-up regarding time-share come-ons, best times to hike/bike and weather.
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:10 PM

The Pink Jeep people are also stewards of Honanki--I mean, they pay the salary of a full-time host and do a lot of work to preserve and protect it. Honanki is a wonderful site, much of it wheelchair accessible, and a great tour--ruins, pictographs, etc. I've not taken *their* tour there, because we've owned a couple Jeeps in the time we've been here so drive ourselves out there. I will say many of the Pink Jeep drivers are certified guides; therefore, they are very knowledgeable about the history, wildlife, flora and fauna.

Walnut Canyon is also gorgeous. We "discovered" it this past winter and plan to return. Yes, you can see cliff dwellings, but the beauty of the canyon is the best part.

The sunset crater area gets one to thinking about asteroids hitting the earth -- and the crater is huge, but you'd have to love astronomy, geology or sci-fi--actually, almost anything -- to like it more than I do. I've been there twice and I still don't like it. But if it isn't much out of the way, sure, go!

Possibly a more valuable (in making an impression) is La Posada, on the Old Route 66. Mary Colter's favorite hotel (she designed the one at the Grand Canyon, too, for Fred Harvey, but La Posada was the only one for which she also designed the grounds and gardens). It is off the beaten path, because Winslow has become God-forsaken (but no more so than Sunset Crater ). The main employers are Wal-Mart and the prison. But the hotel is far from that side of town. Look it up on the Internet. The restaurant, The Turquoise Room, has a 5-star chef and is exquisite at any time of day. The Martini Bar is charming. One could easily spend a day at the hotel, because it's like a many-roomed museum and art gallery. There is *nothing* else to do in Winslow, so don't plan on going out for a cheap cup of coffee. If you stay there (or visit before 10 a.m.) the gift shop has very good free coffee.

But you'll probably go to Sunset Crater and see La Posada on another trek, eh?