Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   A Naples question for Patrick, or anyone else familiar with Naples (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/a-naples-question-for-patrick-or-anyone-else-familiar-with-naples-262578/)

fran Oct 1st, 2002 05:30 PM

A Naples question for Patrick, or anyone else familiar with Naples

What do you think of the Naples Beach Resort? Website looks good but I've read a few negative reviews. Since you're from the area, I'd like your opinion. We are looking for a place that's right on the beach.

Karen Oct 1st, 2002 05:56 PM

We've visted Naples during the winter months for the past 4 years now. We stay in a condo and have not stayed at the Beach Resort but we have been there for lunch. It is very nice, great location.

Patrick Oct 1st, 2002 06:06 PM

For many years I lived just three blocks from there, but have since moved to a condo townhouse a little further away. The Naples Beach Resort is easily the oldest resort in the city, and the only one with an adjacent golf course (well, at least the only one on a beach). It has the best location in Naples and is "grandfathered" in. There are no other hotels or multi family dwellings south of there in Naples on the actual beach -- which is really very nice at that point. <BR>But as a family owned and operated resort it has suffered by comparison with the big name corporate resorts which have now overshadowed it.<BR>It has been extensively remodeled and redecorated and overall it is in good shape. You just shouldn't expect to compare it with the Ritz Carlton or even the Registry or LaPlaya. Again, its main advantage over the other places is its near-downtown location.<BR>It has been really suffering this past year and has even laid off many employees. They added a conference center, but can't compete with places like the Ritz for decent convention activity. <BR>I have no idea what their prices are like these days, but I'd say if you can get a good price (which in Naples means anything less than the cost of a major mortgage)then I'd say "go for it". I wouldn't plan on eating much there (I've been a victim of far too many benefit dinners and receptions there), but you are close to the wonderful restaurants of Fifth Avenue South and Third Street South, so who cares?

fran Oct 2nd, 2002 09:02 AM

Thank, Patrick. The rate seems quite reasonable so it is a "definite maybe".

fran Oct 2nd, 2002 09:41 AM

One more thing, Patrick...when you say hotel has a near downtown location, are you saying it is within walking distance?

Patrick Oct 2nd, 2002 10:02 AM

Through a residential neighborhood on sidewalks for 13 blocks south, then three blocks east to the beginning of 5th Avenue South business area (which is about 6 blocks long in itself). From that same point add another 10 blocks south to the beginning of the 3rd Street South area. So yes, it is walkable, but a pretty good walk at that. I'm guessing 15 to 20 minutes to walk from the hotel to the restaurants on Fifth. Add another 5 to 10 minutes to the restaurants on Third.

MikeH. Oct 2nd, 2002 11:08 AM

I wish someone would buy that dump of a hotel property and at least offer a decent breakfast! Sorry, but the Naples Beach Resort would be about last place on my list to stay or dine. Especially considering the prices that they charge. JMHO