Notices

A Mini-trip to London Town, Maryland

May 15th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

A Mini-trip to London Town, Maryland

The group to which I belong visited the relatively new London Town museum. The town (in Edgewater, Maryland) itself was founded in 1683 and was an early important port in Maryland before Annapolis and Baltimore became more active.

If you haven't visited lately, you may only know the gorgeous William Brown House and maybe the azalea-laden grounds. In the last 15 or so years, archeologists have found the remnants of original buildings and they have been rebuilt to their precise footprints.

The museum is in a separate and new visitor's center and has many interesting and interactive displays. There are also quite a few activities for children.

July 7, 2013 is the date for one of the major events. Volunteers in colonial garb will tell visitors about life in London Town. According to a pamphlet of activities, there will be a summer concert series and 5-day summer camp.

I'll refer you to London Town's site for details. Please note the days the Brown House is open for tours as it is not daily. You can decide if it's worth a day trip for those of you who life in the Md/DC/Va area:

http://www.historiclondontown.com/
May 17th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Here are our secretary's much better notes:

"Our tour, led by John Kille [curator of the exhibit], was called “Discover London Town.” This is a new permanent exhibit that allows you to navigate 3,500 SF of educational and interactive displays spanning 13,000 years of regional history. We began with an exhibit of fascinating archaeological artifacts connected to Native Americans in prehistoric times. We walked through Providence, in 1649, Anne Arundel County’s first European settlement, focusing on tobacco and other commercial goods. On display were items excavated: clay pipes, decorated tiles, fine ceramic vessels, beautiful genre paintings and an enormous world map with trade routes highlighted in colorful lights.

We became acquainted with the lifestyles and buildings of its inhabitants: planters, trades and tavern keepers, sea captains and sailors, and enslaved African workers."

It really is an interesting venue.
May 17th, 2013, 07:42 AM

That sounds really nice. Thanks for sharing. I live in Maryland so I will check it out one of these days. I love stuff like that.

Search this Thread