sonoma fairmont sonoma mission inn spa

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2010, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone stayed here? your experiences would be appreciated. my husband and i are looking to stay here for 5 days at the end of june. thanks
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:30 PM

it's way pricey for what it is. the spa is nice. The older rooms have charm and are small and cheaper. I haven't stayed much since the fairmont took it over and jacked up the prices. The massages and facials are very very good.
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:52 PM

My comments are the same as mztery's (don't do spa stuff, however) - plus I don't like the location.

Stu Dudley
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:35 AM

well, i live nearby and have stayed and loved it, if you can afford it do it, the spa is great too. mani pedi awesome as well as other spa services. fun/delicious lunch restaurant you can go to in your spa robe. will be hot in summer outdoors but you won't care as its extremely well kept and lovely grounds and rooms. enjoy! remember, you only live once!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

thanks Goldie! is the spa a good place for daytrips to local wineries and other attractions? is it too hot to lay at the pool in late June?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:40 PM

esat1
What other options are you considering?

Personally, I think 5 days is a lot of time to spend in the wine country. If I were spending 5 days there, I would stay in Healdsburg - which is in a more scenic & interesting location, IMO, better access to the coast, a more scenic access to the Napa Valley via the Alexander valley, and closer to the redwoods up north. The Healdsburg Inn (think that's the name) is also a spa, and directly on the Healdsburg square. The SMI is in the ruddy area of Boyes Hot Springs and not within walking distance of the Sonoma Square. Better restaurants in Helaldsburg - Cyrus is one of the top 5 in the Bay Area, IMO.

Late June pool time could be anything, but usually not too hot for a day by the pool.

Stu Dudley
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:21 PM

Pigs have flown, He## is frozen over and I
agree with Stu 100% about SMI. Also agree with him about
Healdsburg as a great location in which to stay, yet
Sonoma town has other options with pools worth considering.
http://www.elpuebloinn.com/
OR
http://www.thelodgeatsonoma.com/
The Lodge has a terrific spa and wonderful restaurant
as well.

R5
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:38 PM

Several things

• It depends on what you consider "too hot" - it rarely gets in the 90's in Sonoma but it often is high 80's / no breeze in June. Or it could be overcast.

• The spa is located in Sonoma, so near all the Sonoma wineries of which there are a bunch.
• Other attractions - what other attractions? We like to eat and drink when up there, maybe if you have kids traintown would be fun but other attractions?

• While i LOVE the spa and grounds at the lodge at Sonoma, we have stayed there a few times and it's not what I would expect form a high end property. The grounds themselves are nice but not spacious and it abuts the main road and a big parking lot. I personally like it but a LOT of visitors are disappointed how non secluded it is.

• to the OP - I would get a map and familiarize yourself with the area.
it sounds like oyu don't have a basic idea of where these things are located and that might help your decision.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:16 PM

well, my girlfriends and i prefer the sonoma mission inn spa much more than the healdsburg hotel spa in the square. there really is no comparison, really. I KNOW MY SPAS!

from sonoma you can head to the silverado trail and visit lots of beautiful wineries, silverado resort is very nice as well, very very nice. ok, its nicer than sonoma mission inn but smi is within walking distance to lots of other wonderful restaurants. sonoma square has better restaurants, even cheese, boutiques, wonderful bakery. try the girl and the fig restaurant or generals daughter, all the restaurants are good.

if you can get a "last minute" rez at french laundry near the silverado resort and want to spend a couple hundred dollars on an unforgettable dinner, go there. they are booked up months and months in advance but you can get on their waiting list and give them your cell # because they don't leave messages, they will give you a couple days or even a weeks notice but you will get a wonderful chance at an awesome, awesome meal.

same for healdsburg but i personally like the older flavor of sonoma, it depends on what you like. i am very aware of noise intrusion but have never noticed any at SMI ha ha NO I DONT WORK THERE, JUST TELLING YOU WHAT I LIKE. i love healdsburg too, no bad food there either, was just there last week.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:41 AM

>>smi is within walking distance to lots of other wonderful restaurants.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:23 AM

she did...girl and fig and general's daughter

and goldie - not need to shout. we all just give opinions here - no one is saying oyu don't know your spas, just that some of us don't care for the SMI. Shouting over others won't make your points any more true.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:42 AM

>>she did...girl and fig and general's daughter
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:13 AM

I've walked it, I know some people feel the area is super funky but I have never had any problems.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:30 AM

Well, I hope no one is walking OR driving to the General's
Daughter since it is now called ESTATE, and has been for quite a while.

So,goldie's info may be a bit dated, maybe before the gang activity up around El Verono and Boyes Hot Springs, where
SMI actually is located.

I'd be hoping Stu would come by to give me a lift-
I sure wouldn't be walking it a night.

R5
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:32 PM

well, ive been to a lot of different restaurants on the square and have never had a bad experience, sorry all, not trying to shout, guess i don't know the protocol here, pardon me.