Reload this Page >

Los Angles sights to see --not just for the tourist

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Rhoda

I will be visiting Los Angles in late October and would like to see some non tourist highlights I like history and thought of the Nixon museum. What else should I consider?

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 11:37 AM
steve

Check out the Huntington Library. Much closer to LA. The drive from LA to Yorba Linda will take you a good 70 minutes. The Huntington Library is just North of Pasadena.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Brian Kilgore

If you have a hobby, go see some LA center of such activity. If you are a photographer from some small city, Samy's Camera store is worth a visit, for example.

A giant fabric store would appeal to an amateur seamstress; the top supermarkets and the Farmers Market would appeal to a serious cook.

People who really like cars might take a tour of the showrooms and used car lots fanciest, most expensive, makes.

BAK

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Christina

There are some wonderful old neighborhoods and architecture in Los Angeles, there are a lot of good architectural walking tours. I espec like downtown area and Angelino Hts, but there are others. The La Conservancy does good tours, see www.laconservancy.com and I think there is also good info on www.downtownla.com

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 09:19 PM
joe

Petersen Auto Museum on Wilshire currently has a fantastic 'cars and guitars' exhibit if you're into rock n roll. Nearby is the La Brea Tar Pits & Page Museum - very nice.

The Getty Art Museum is a very rewarding way to spend an afternoon, we highly recommend the Holiday Inn Brentwood nearby.

You might enjoy the Ronald Reagan Museum which is about a 25 minute drive from the city.

The Museum of Science and Industry, down by USC, the Imax theatres, the aviation museum and the Colloseum, is a nice stop as well as the Gene Autry Western Heritage Museum (most people are pleasantly surprised at this place).

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 06:51 AM
CA Native

Hey Rhoda:

If you are into the wacky, the offbeat, the obscure, cut and paste the thread below into your browser. There were many interesting 'non-touristy' types of suggestions.

- all the best.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/crossro...meset&active=5

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 10:51 AM
CA Native

Sorry, bad link above. Try this:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/crossro...nia&x=16&y=10&