Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   A good place to spend Thanksgiving in the East (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/a-good-place-to-spend-thanksgiving-in-the-east-635558/)

iluvmyrott Jul 31st, 2006 04:26 PM

A good place to spend Thanksgiving in the East

My Mom died this past January, Thanksgiving at her home was always our favorite Holiday. This Thanksgiving we (myself, Hubby and 12 yr old son) want to do something different. We are thinking about taking a trip since son will have the whole week off. We live in WV and would like to drive somewhere to spend a few days. Any suggestions? I have heard of 'The Homestead' in VA, but wondered if son would be bored there. I'm really open to any suggestions as long as it's in the East (we will be driving)

littlemarysunshine Jul 31st, 2006 04:45 PM

I am sorry to learn of your loss.

You are wise to plan something very different for Thanksgiving this year.

Williamsburg would be a good choice, if your son is intrigued by American history.

L.M. Sunshine

iluvmyrott Jul 31st, 2006 04:49 PM

littlemarysunshine,

I love that idea! My son loves science AND History! I was also thinking of Gettysburg.

dfrostnh Aug 1st, 2006 04:02 AM

Forgive me, but what will your father do this Thanksgiving and what about other family members who depended on Mom doing Thanksgiving? Have you considered having it at your house?

kamahinaohoku Aug 1st, 2006 06:22 AM

dfrostnh - Forgive me, too, but I thought your post was a bit presumptuous and insensitive. Did it ever occur to you that perhaps her father is already gone, and that she's asking for locations so she doesn't have to visit grief so soon again? And perhaps there aren't any relatives she wants to cook for. She and her family have asked about a place to go away from the traditions they've lived with for many years probably so that they can temporarily escape the grief...and you suggest that she take care of the other members of her family (who may or may not exist) at home...full of memories. Sometimes escape can be a good thing...even if it is temporary.
((S))((*))

BayouGal Aug 1st, 2006 06:30 AM

Bless you at this difficult time. So sorry to learn of your loss.

A friend went through this year before last, and took a cruise last year over Thanksgiving with her husband and children for the exact same reason. They escaped the cold, spent a wonderful trip together, and dealt with many emotions regarding their loss.

I just lost my dad in November, a week before Thanksgiving. We could not bear to leave my mom alone, so we all spent Thanksgiving and Christmas with her at her house so the house wouldn't seem SO empty on the holidays. If I lost my mom, though, I think I might travel for the holidays, too, because it'd be so hard not to "return home."

Good luck with your decisions.

wyatt92 Aug 1st, 2006 06:52 AM

dfrostnh, I agree, your post was way insensitive and uncalled for. She asked for travel advice, not personal advice and it really is none of your business. Hope she isn't scared off.

How about DC? Lots to do for your son and it would be an easy to find a special place for your Thanksgiving dinner.

obxgirl Aug 1st, 2006 06:53 AM

There are a lot great outdoor activities that a 12 YO boy might enjoy at The Homestead. The catch is obviously the weather. There is a Kids Club but 12 is the upper boundary and mine, at 12, would not have been interested in hanging with the little kids.

Williamsburg is a great place to spend Thanksgiving.

I agree with the DC suggestion too. Lots to do & see there, both indoors and out.

So sorry abou the deaeath of your Mom. That first year of firsts without them is such a struggle. Good for you for thinking ahead for ways to cushion the loss around the holidays.

cmcfong Aug 1st, 2006 07:03 AM

I am sorry for your loss. My dad died at Christmas and even though that was forty years ago, the holiday still brings up some mixed emotions.
I suggest Charleston, SC. Tons to do and the weather will be mild enough to enjoy the outdoors.

Rachel Aug 1st, 2006 07:03 AM

Sorry about your loss. Celebrating holidays is especially hard after the loss of the one you enjoyed so many traditions with.

If my kids had a week off at T/Day, I would look into something warm-a cruise, the Caribean, etc. but then again, I live in a cold climate, so i'm always looking to escape.

Another thought-how about Boston and New England. Very historic, lots to do,

Williamsburg is a great suggestion too.

leahinsc Aug 1st, 2006 07:32 AM

From WV I'd probably say DC as well though your son may have already been there on school trips? We spent a couple of Thanksgivings in Charleston and had relatively mild weather. There are so many good restaurants to choose from, the beach, the aquarium, the Yorktown. How about Philadelphia/Valley Forge area? Stopping by Gettysburg and Hershey's Chocolate world on the way?