A funny hotel story about Days Inn

May 1st, 2003, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

A funny hotel story about Days Inn

Chances are, you'll never stop at the Days Inn in Benson, NC (just off I-95). If you never do, consider yourself among the lucky.

I've stayed in better jails than this place. I won't drag you through the whole mess (although getting panhandled outside my room was interesting). Instead, I'll mention Days Inn's response to my complaints about the place.

After I wrote to the company, they offered to "satisfy" me by offering me a discount for a stay at the Days Inn in Benson, NC! So the company's way of making things right was to offer a stay (which I'd have to pay for) in a place that should have been condemned long ago. Hilarious.
May 1st, 2003, 08:50 AM

K, at least you got something offered! I had a problem with one of the California's Days Inn long time ago, and the letter I got from the headquarters said that each Days Inn in California is owned individually, and I have to deal with the owner. Circle closed
May 1st, 2003, 09:08 AM

I prefer Holiday Inns for travel and business. I've had a mnor issue with them and they solved it quickly and to my surprise, reimbursed me for the lost item I left in one room! I guess it pays to be a platinum member!
May 1st, 2003, 09:28 AM

Aaaah...k, your title was so provocative, yet you provide neither a story nor a joke. I'm disappointed!
May 1st, 2003, 09:48 AM
JCE

Joan...I suppose you feel a discounted night in a lousy hotel would suffice?

You must work for Delta Airlines!
May 1st, 2003, 09:58 AM

My "funny" Days Inn story: My H and I are considering moving to Jacksonville and so he called Holiday Inn for a room on the beach. They were booked 2 of the nights for our stay so the reservations lady suggested Days Inn on Jacksonville Beach, which she said was brand new, that she and her husband had stayed at. Great, so we called them and were pleasantly surprised that the rate was only $89.00/night. The place was a dive, no iron, coffee pot or much of anything, except sand on the beds and a nasty bathroom. Twice, suspicious characters banged on our door.
May 1st, 2003, 10:01 AM

"...Aaaah...k, your title was so provocative, yet you provide neither a story nor a joke".

k_999_9 is obviously in advertising.
May 1st, 2003, 10:03 AM
X

I agree with Joan..there may be a slight bit of a story there, but it's not at all funny. I was expecting my sides to hurt.

How about this:
Imagine my surprise when I checked into the Days Inn in Benson, NC! When I got to my room, I found a whooppie cushion in the center of the bed. It said. "Use only in an emergency" I immediately called the front desk to find out what would constitute such an emergency. The front desk infoemed me that Benson was the home of the Acme Novelty Products manufacturing facility and occasionally a rogue gang from the factory would come and knock on the doors of hotel guests to make sure they were keeping supplied with "fun"

Sure enough, the next morning I found a rubber chicken stapled to my door.
May 1st, 2003, 10:09 AM
JCE

Too sad...You Guys feel let down by a thread about a lousy night in Days Inn. Now THAT is a funny story!
May 1st, 2003, 11:00 AM

Remind me of the Knight's Inn in Battle Creek Michigan. The entire extended family stayed there for a wedding. The bride tried to warn us but we thought nothing could be THAT bad. We later overheard some bikers saying they wouldn't stay there! It was scary.
May 1st, 2003, 11:06 AM
Lola

LOL, Joan, k99 is guilty of False Advertising!!
I want my funny story!!
This one should have been titled , "What should I expect with a Days Inn in Benson NC???"
or at least tell us why it was so awful? Not having stayed in any jails, I need a description, step by step, evey detail of the hell that was the room in the Days Inn!!!

May 1st, 2003, 11:25 AM
iceeu2

For X
Now your funny story made me laugh. Tell another!! I am still lol.

May 1st, 2003, 11:26 AM
OliveOyl

Hey Joan...I've got a Day's Inn story not funny, but a story none-the-less. Might already have told it here...sorry if it's a repeat--just ignore!

Was helping our son drive from TX back to Savannah for summer break his sophmore year in college. He started in Lubbock, we met in Dallas, and the two of us drove his car the rest of the way back, leaving Dallas during morning rush hour and driving hour after tedious hour. Around Montgomery I asked him if he was ready to stop for the day, but he had his 2nd wind and wanted to go on. Looking at the map, Columbus, GA seemed to be the next good stopping spot so that was our goal for the day.

We hit the Columbus area, but somehow missed the entire city, having gotten onto some road that by-passed it, and by the time we realized there were no motels on this stretch of highway, we had gone too far to turn around and drive back.

It was now well after midnight. The road to Macon, the next city, was a tiny two lane in the middle of no where through nothing but deep woods with not another car to appear in sight for the entire drive. Nor a gas station. Nor a store. No nuttin. Driving it was like playing a video game...animal eyes off the side of the road to the left and right reflected in our headlights. Around almost every corner there'd be some animal in the middle of the road or standing right on the edge getting ready to cross. A deer here, possum there, raccoons--you name it, it was there. Our son is driving this obstacle course and has been since dinner in Montgomery, as my night vision is bad. It had become so stressful with animals in the road and others just off the side, that he's got a death grip on the wheel and his palms were sweating so badly he was having to wipe them to maintain the grip on the wheel. We had visions of something jumping out when it was too late to do a thing about it, and us in a little two seater Prelude. He drove mile after mile of this, then finally we pulled out of the woods and there was Macon on the horizon. It was nearly 3 AM, and we were exhausted, mentally as well as physically, from the extremely long day and the stress of the last 1-2 hrs. By now we weren't far from Savannah, but knew there was no way to go on, so pulled into the first place we came to, thinking we'd sleep for a couple of hours then leave early for Savannah and home.

Welcome to Days Inn, Macon, GA. I'll never forget it. We were laughing as we came through the door into the motel office, silly after our video game drive between Columbus and Macon, and were greeted by a frowning front desk clerk who obviously did not approve of laughing at 3 AM, or maybe ever. Night clerks can be a weird breed. I asked for a non-smoking room, two beds. No word from him. He took my VISA for payment, I signed the charge, then he asked for my driver's license. He proceeded to hold the VISA and license up together, side by side and directly in front of my face, comparing signatures on the license and the Visa and my face to the face on the license. It wasn't a quick glance...he must have had it there for a good minute, savoring his moment as King of the Hill. Then he put the VISA down and held the charge slip up alongside the license, still in front of my face, again looking back and forth between me and my license and the charge slipe and the signatures, faces etc. Little doubt in my mind but what he thought he'd probably caught himself a hooker and her john and he was going to let her know he was onto her game! OL Now you (Joan) know what I look like in real life and it's not that! Yes it was 3 in the morning...yes it was an older woman with a 19 year old and yes we were laughing...but give me a break...the whole world isn't out to have an sordid 1 hr fling in your motel!! I was boiling, but was more anxious to just get to sleep and not make a scene at that point in time (as was my son anxious that I not do so)!

I was surprised to see the same man at the desk when I got up that mornng and went in for coffee and Danish. Son was still sleeping, so being unencumbered by him and being rested, I felt free to let loose. We'd just come back from a GMs meeting in Puerto Rico and I happened to be wearing a gimme shirt that said "Hyatt General Managers Meeting Puerto Rico", down the arm. Walked up to the desk clerk, pointed to the shirt and said something to the effect that I lived in and my husband ran a hotel down the road that would put his shamble of a place to shame, and that he and his attitude wouldn't last 5 minutes in a job there. Nasty I know, but not half as nasty as he had been the night before. "I just needed to check that you were who you said you were and how as I to know", he said. I hate scenes so let it go with him who wasn't worth the breath anyway, but needed to vent more where it counted, so once home, wrote my first ever, and so far last, letter of complaint. It went to Days Inn corporate.

I didn't want money back, I sure didn't want a free future stay in any Days Inn in the world...nor would I have taken it if offered, which it wasn't. What I would have liked was something more than the canned response I received from corporate and from the person who trained this dolt, saying she would evaluate his need for further training, and a promise that she would forward my complaint to the franchise owner, Mr Patel. Mr. Patel, are you out there? This is your Days Inn at it's best. Caveat Emptor. In the future, a Days Inn could be the last place for the next 400 miles, and I'd drive past at 3 AM without a blink!

Anyone else got a Days Inn tale--I might get sweet revenge yet! OL

May 1st, 2003, 11:33 AM
JCE

Heres a funny story;

People needing to be entertained by internet travel site are actually able to function on a daily basis and make a questional contribution to society.
May 1st, 2003, 12:08 PM

your story wasn't funny, JCE. It was quite dumb. I am dumber for reading your post. Thanks a lot.
May 1st, 2003, 12:15 PM

JCE, thank you! I absolutely agree with you (being one of the questionable contributors!)
May 1st, 2003, 12:34 PM

Oooh I love funny stories. Here's one

There once was a Days Inn in Nantucket ...

(stop me if you've heard this one)
May 1st, 2003, 12:44 PM
X

When you tell ghost stories, you're supposed to tell them in a dark room and speak with a hushed tone and a flashlight underneath your chin.

When you tell funny Days Inn stories, you're supposed to tell them in a room that has an "off" odor in a voice that can be heard in the next room over and a stained HBO guide in your hand.

Having said that...here is my true Days Inn story...The first vacation my wife and I ever took together (after the honeymoon) was to Memphis. The cheapest hotel (we were poor then) that we could find downtown was the Days Inn on Union Ave across from the Peabody (it has since changed brands)

My wife wanted to take a shower when she got there. The washcloth that she used had a stain on it when she picked it up. She ran it under the water and it looked to be permananent. She took here shower....AND THE STAIN WAS GONE!!!
She felt disgusting until she got home and "detoxified"
May 1st, 2003, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

OK, OK, I'll tell the full story.

1. Went to put the chain lock on the door, and the chain fell off.
2. Wondered why my feet got wet when I washed my hands. Crack in the sink.
3. Turned the light on in the bathroom, causing the ceiling fan to go on, rumble, and break through the ceiling. (I can't imagine what the people upstairs thought.)
4. Wondered what that exotic looking animal was in the landscape painting above the bed. It was a roach pressed between the painting and the glass.
5. Checked out the next morning and the desk clerk, a teenage girl, asked, "Was everything OK?" I replied: "NOTHING was OK." She replied, "Oh everyone who stays here says that."

There! Satisfied?
May 1st, 2003, 12:54 PM

kath - lol!!

I got food poisoning at a restaurant in Seattle once. When I called them they denied they had anythingto do with it, then sent me a gift certificate to their restaurant. So a) couldn't they have at least apologized, b) why would I eat there again when I got food poisoning the first time, and c) the restaurant is in Seattle and I live in Boston - would I ever really use it?? Nope, never did.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO