a few shows..has anyone seen these?

Sep 12th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

a few shows..has anyone seen these?

Some new or obscure shows...has anyone seen these? I'd like to know ppls experience w/ them.
1. Tony n Tina's Wedding
2. Birth and Afterbirth
3. Drowsey chaperone
thanks
Sep 12th, 2006, 06:57 PM

Drowsy Chaperone is the best musical I've seen in a long time. Tony and Tinas' wedding can be a lot of fun particularly if you see it with a group.
Sep 12th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Drowsey Chaperone and if you have not seen it Hairspary. Both are great!
Sep 12th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Neopolitan

My thought about Tony and Tina's Wedding is that it's a good thing to do with a group when you've all had a bit to drink. It is sort of an audience participation staged wedding, and it's all about bad taste. It can be a fun night for some or seem like a night from Hell for others.

Drowsey Chaperone is WONDERFUL, especially if you have a general interest in big musicals as it sort of spoofs them and entertains you at the same time.

Birth and Afterbirth? No knowledge.

Sep 12th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Not a fan of T&T

Drowsy Chaperone - GREAT

B & AB - never heard of it
Sep 12th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Birth & Afterbirth doesn't start performances until tomorrow. Tina Howe's new play (well, new to NY, anyway) at the Atlantic.
I'll throw in another Drowsey Chap. endorsement.
Sep 13th, 2006, 03:47 AM

Tony n Tina's wedding is an off Broadway show that's been running for years. I think it was the first of this ilk of camp audience participation shows. You're made to feel you're actually attending this wedding. Agree with Neo, can be fun with friends. Not in the same league as Drowsy Chaperone which is terrific.
Sep 13th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Drowsy Chaperone is one of the best plays I've seen in a while!!
Sep 13th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Neopolitan

Rereading my post from last night this morning, I realize I may have sounded vague in my opinion of Tony and Tina's Wedding. I was trying to accept the fact that some people really enjoy it. But put me in the group that considered it a night of Hell.

Sep 13th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

ok already going to see Wicked, since I've been obcessed about getting those tickets for a long time....If someone was to compare Drowsy w/ Wicked...which is better? lol

I also forgot to throw in the Putnam County spelling Bee one...neone seen that?
Sep 13th, 2006, 05:49 AM

On a related note:

Anyone familiar with Jekyll & Hyde?

One of our 3 would love to see it, but the websites are confusing:
Is it on Broadway or just on a national tour?

Any NYC resident experts know?
Appreciate any information.
Sep 13th, 2006, 06:03 AM

It's almost impossible to compare The Drowsy Chaperone and Wicked. They are two entirely different types of shows.
In the interest of full disclosure, I and my family--young and old--are in the apparent minority that did not like Wicked. However, we are definitely in the obviously overwhelming majority that loved The Drowsy Chaperone.
Tony n Tina's Wedding is indeed hokey. Some love it, some don't. I will totally agree with those who say that if you do plan to see it, do it with a group.
And, speaking of hokey, Jekyl & Hyde is not playing in New York.
Sep 13th, 2006, 06:25 AM
emd

wicked or drowsy, tough call. I loved them both. But decision woudl be based on who is going. If adult men are w/you, I'd choose Drowsy as I think there's a better chance they'd like it then Wicked, at least for my husband.

You don't have Wedding Singer on your list but that is also a very funny and fun musical that makes fun of the 80s.
Sep 13th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Neopolitan

I went to Wedding Singer totally expecting to love it despite some lukewarm reviews. After all it's by the Hairspray People, had a good starting base and should have been wonderful. I enjoyed it, but all through the thing I kept thinking it should somehow be a whole lot better than it was.

Good one, Howard -- "speaking of hokey, Jekyl and Hyde. . ." Yes, hokey, indeed, although I must admit I rather like the rather offbeat score to it.

I loved Wicked, but liked Drowsy even more. A starting point to decide? If someone groans when they see that Wizard of Oz is on TV for the umpteenth time, they would likely NOT enjoy Wicked that much. Just my theory.

And Spelling Bee? Well, I'd feel a bit cheated if I paid $100 to see it, while I wouldn't feel that way with most BIG Broadway shows. It's sort of like an overgrown Saturday Night Live skit, but very well done.

Sep 13th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Instead of all this to-ing and fro-ing why don't you just ask an outright question about plays and describe your party ? If you've already got tickets to Wicked and want to see one other show, Drowsy Chaperone is a good bet. If you want to go to an off Broadway show, Altar Boyz is very popular and a hell of a lot better than T & T's wedding. I'm with Neo on Spelling Bee. Ok and cute for a discount ticket but don't pay full price.

There are discounts for Drowsy Chaperone, Spelling Bee, Altar Boyz, Wedding Singer and more on broadwaybox.com if your trip is imminent.
Sep 13th, 2006, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the update on Jekyll and Hyde
*Hokey* sounds great for our 11 year old who for some reason really wants to see a production.
Anyone know if a national tour is planned?
Websites only list community theatre productions.
Sep 13th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Neopolitan

Here's a site for current and upcoming National Tours:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/tour.cfm

But no, I don't see any upcoming tour of Jekyl and Hyde.

Sep 13th, 2006, 08:50 AM

wanderluster, maybe the reason he wants to see the show is it's quite racey and in NYC, had a nude bedroom scene. Here's a review from Canton, Ohio
http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?C...ID=306535&r=10

Here's the website for the show with info on where it's playing.
http://www.jekyll-hyde.com/showinfo/
Sep 13th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Yup McLaurie, that might explain it!
Looks like it won't be anywhere too close anytime soon, darn! LOL
Thanks much for the links.
Sep 14th, 2006, 07:11 AM

I liked Drowsy Chaperone very much (seen it twice!) but without knowing more about your particular party, I'd be hesitant to recommend it. It's great fun for a niche audience...you MUST love/appreciate musicals! I wouldn't recommend it for someone's first show, for example, or for someone looking simply for a big, splashy musical (like Wicked!)

The three Broadway shows you mentioned (Wicked, Spelling Bee, Drowsy) are all great fun. They would appeal to different audiences, though of course, a person can enjoy all three!

Search this Thread