Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   A few SF tips--Chagall show & Conservatory (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/a-few-sf-tips-chagall-show-and-conservatory-362207/)

artlover Sep 29th, 2003 03:59 PM

A few SF tips--Chagall show & Conservatory

Just returned from weekend trip to SF and want to pass along a few tips--

Went to Chagall show at SFMOMA and it was FABULOUS!!! If you decide to go, make sure you order your tickets in advance (can do up to 24 hours) on the Internet at the sfmoma.org wehsite. Was so glad we did--lines were all around the block and we walked right in.

Also, if you decide to go to the remodeled Conservatory on the weekend, go early. We didn't and weren't able to get in (had to catch a plan back here to Seattle), but I peaked in and it looks wonderful. Next time.

Also, suggest priceline.com for hotels--I got the Marriott for $75 and they upgraded us to a junior suite!

cigalechanta Oct 1st, 2003 06:04 PM

I couldn't go to SF for the Chagall show, so I sent for the catalog(which is really a thick art book) lots of his work never shown before. I visited the museum in Nice, a few weeks ago.

janis Oct 1st, 2003 06:15 PM

ignore Gannet - this is his 15th alias and before tomorrow morning Fodors will probably delete his posts.

obxgirl Oct 1st, 2003 06:37 PM

Janis, The good news is that Fodors is deleting the wingnut postings much more quickly these days.

janis Oct 1st, 2003 06:40 PM

yeah - but now he has managed to have TWO names going simultaneously. What a sicko!

obxgirl Oct 1st, 2003 06:42 PM

Agreed. Major league nutjob.

TedTurner Oct 1st, 2003 06:45 PM

Isn't it past your bedtime?
Do your parents know you're using their computer?
No adult with an actual life would waste so much time on postings that are repeatedly deleted (unless of course you're simply mentally handicapped or in prison. How sad for you).

janis Oct 1st, 2003 06:53 PM

I got it - he's an idiot savant (operative word - idiot). Really doesn't know anything useful but does know a lot of names. That is his specialty - making up names and being a pest.

The best thing would be if we could just ignore him - but then his garbage suggestions would mislead so many folks.

jason888 Oct 1st, 2003 08:33 PM

*sigh* another fun and enthusiastic thread ruined.

artlover: thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to post on the Chagall show. I thought it wonderful too! Major pieces were pulled from the George Pompidou Center in Paris, from the Marc Chagall Museum in Nice, and from St. Petersburg. What was unique were the numerous pieces from private collections. IMHO, because of the huge number of paintings, drawings, and so on from private collections, another like exhibit of Chagall's work may not ever be pulled together again - at least not quite like this one.

cigalechanta: Sorry you missed the showing at SF MOMA. The colors were fantastic and Chagall's imagination even more fantastic. However, better the catalog than nothing at all!

Am looking forward to going to the Conservatory soon!

Thanks, artlover and other posters, for keeping the cultural interests going!

Jason and ONLY Jason

Marilyn Oct 1st, 2003 09:43 PM

As much as I hate to top the silliness here, I do want to say hi to artlover, and glad you had a good weekend here.

We're seeing the Chagall show next week. It was worth joining MOMA ($65) for the 2 entry tickets, plus the Diane Arbus show that is coming soon.

PamSF Oct 2nd, 2003 09:05 AM

Chagall and now Diane Arbus..I'm there. Thanks for the tip.

FainaAgain Oct 2nd, 2003 01:03 PM

I want to add 2 more exhibits at the Legion of Honor: 19th century photos of India Sept 14 - Feb 15 and Degas sculptures Oct 18- Jan 18. I'll go to both... anybody up for a field trip some time in November-December?

Here is the link:
http://www.thinker.org/legion/index.asp

FainaAgain Oct 2nd, 2003 01:04 PM

I meant I want to add to Artlover's list, I'm not actually adding exhibits :)

Scarlett Oct 2nd, 2003 01:41 PM

Aahh Faina, if only you were adding your own exhibits :)
I am wishing that I were in SF right now, really badly~Don't you just love Chagall?
We saw the Diane Arbus exhibit here in NYC last year. Enjoyed it very much.

Kal Oct 2nd, 2003 04:40 PM

"Chagall, in the Conservatory with the Lead Pipe" 8-}

artlover Oct 2nd, 2003 05:42 PM

Hi Marilyn & Pam...hope you have a terrific Fodors gettogether.

Since I know you both come here to Seattle every so often, thought I'd mention that (after whining and whining about not getting any wonderful art here--except Chihully--who lives here), there was an announcement in the paper the other day that several major Van Goghs will be on display in Spring at the SAM. Will keep you posted as to the exact dates.

The Degas show sounds terrific as well--I'd come back for it, but we'll be in Spain.

Enjoy the Chagall exhibit. I've been the Chagall Museum in Nice several times and have never seen these paintings before. Truly wonderful!

Marilyn Oct 2nd, 2003 07:45 PM

Thanks, artlover!

cigalechanta Oct 2nd, 2003 08:04 PM

Marylyn, tho it's called a catalog, it's really an art book featuring the whole exhibit with lots of information about him. I was at the Nice museum a few weeks ago. They had on display some religeous robes he designed.
Have a wonderful time, You too, Pam.