Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   A few romantic/fun days in Colorado starting in Denver - itinerary help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/a-few-romantic-fun-days-in-colorado-starting-in-denver-itinerary-help-845018/)

vova Jun 14th, 2010 04:21 PM

A few romantic/fun days in Colorado starting in Denver - itinerary help

So...I originally thought we would go to the Beaver Creek area some time in September but schedules shifted and now I want to start with a clean slate and hear some good 3 or 4-day itineraries from you experts :).

I know it's not much time so which area should I focus on? This would be the beginning of October (so it won't be as warm as I would like but we'll get some nice fall colors). Should we make our base in Colorado Springs? Boulder? Should I go towards Frisco and Vail?

This will be our 10-year anniversary and I'd like to make it special - stay somewhere romantic, see some nature, go on some great hikes, eat at some great restaurants, etc. Is there a place that I can do all that and not blow the bank account?

Thank you!

cmcfong Jun 14th, 2010 05:24 PM

I think that is a spectacular time to visit Colorado. Last year we flew to Denver. Overnighted two nights at the Limelight in Aspen and then two nights in Vail at the Tivoli. We loved Up the Creek for dinner at Vail. I have to say the rates we got were very good. My favorite town was Breckenridge and next time we go we will probably stay there. I loved the Tivoli. We were among the very few guests, they upgraded us to a fantastic room, breakfast was included in the rate and was most generous. I would go back there in a minute. Very nice hotel, lovely staff.

vova Jun 14th, 2010 06:54 PM

That sounds fantastic! Thanks for the advice. I'll look at the options you mentioned. Aspen looks great and we have lots of starwood points we can use but it also seems like a long drive from Denver and not sure it's worth it for only 3 days. I can be swayed however.

Any other thoughts are appreciated. I'm starting from scratch and it's fun to start with a blank slate.

fmpden Jun 15th, 2010 05:55 AM

Your timing in Oct will put you on the back side of the color changes. Depending on a number of weather factors the leaves could be gone by that time. The weather is very variable by that time -- could be cold and snowy or could be very nice. Some of the ski areas target mid October for their opening and you don't ski on bare ground.

You should get very good rates because it is a very dead time. Some of the high end restaurants in Vail will be closed and others offering very good deals.

PeaceOut Jun 17th, 2010 06:40 AM

Your timing might also put you in the time-frame where resort towns shut down till ski season starts. Restaurants can be closed in October, so ask before you reserve.

We love Aspen, and think it is very romantic. There should be affordable prices in October. We like the Gant's high-end places, and also the deluxe condos at Aspen Square.

Happy anniversary!

vova Jun 17th, 2010 12:23 PM

thanks for all the advice everyone. I think we're going to do 1 night in Boulder and 2 nights either in Vail or Breck. All your suggestions so far have been great.

Aspen sounds fantastic but for a long drive like this I think I'll wait until I have more time.

SaltysMom Jun 17th, 2010 12:39 PM

I think that's a good plan. I prefer Breck to Vail personally. If you come to Boulder (where I live!) you should stay at the St. Julien Hotel which is within walking to Pearl St. where you will find many fabulous restaurants and shops. Also, hiking trails right out the front door. Beautiful hotel - new and high end. Great spa there, too! Let me know if you want any restaurant recommendations, etc!

vova Jun 17th, 2010 12:44 PM

Thanks SaltysMom!
We got recommendations for The Kitchen and Frasca...thinking about one of those. any great brunch suggestions? Lunch suggestions?

vova Jun 17th, 2010 12:49 PM

Also - any specific recommendations for Breckenridge hotels/resorts? Restaurant recommendations?

Got those for Vail and Beaver Creek but not yet for Breck.

Gretchen Jun 17th, 2010 02:28 PM

Aspen is just not that long a drive--4 hours from Denver, 2+ from Breck/Vail. It has so much to do in a small area. it would be worth the extra hours drive for a special treat in my opinion. Breck could really be "between seasons", and is a little "isolated", but the Aspen area I think is a lot more year round.

Gretchen Jun 17th, 2010 02:29 PM

If you must include Boulder, why not do it on the return trip. I think Boulder is "cute", BUT in October, it could also be a nightmare--students and all.

vova Jun 17th, 2010 03:21 PM

Thanks Gretchen. I'll consider Aspen. I hear great things but just didn't know if the extra 2 hours each way of driving was worthwhile for a relatively short trip...unless those are especially enjoyable drives and i get a step up in experience.

I thought that part of the charm of a college town was the presence of college students ;)

SaltysMom Jun 17th, 2010 05:01 PM

The students never bother us! They are typically farther south than the Pearl Street area anyway - but you may want to make sure that if the weekend you are coming is a home game or parents weekend - you'll want to book hotels & restaurants early. Both restaurants that you picked are great - however the best restaurant in the Boulder area (actually up on the mountain overlooking Boulder) is the Flagstaff House. Nothing compares. Incredibly romantic. It is truly unique to Colorado. Fabulous food, wine, service. The other places are like great places you can eat at in any big city. A place we like for brunch is Chautauqua. It's like a big old-fashioned dining hall with a nice menu. If it's nice, you can eat out on the big wrap-around porch. Lots of hiking trails around it - so you can hike first and "earn" your breakfast - or work breakfast off!!

clove7524 Jul 1st, 2010 11:37 AM

I am off to a wedding in Aspen in mid July arriving in Denver. What can you suggest to do during those few days?

pisceantraveler Jul 2nd, 2010 05:05 AM

I'm late in adding a response, but couldn't pass up the chance to recommend brunch at The Kitchen. Chautaqua is also very nice for brunch or dinner at the restaurant or for even a picnic at the park.

Off the tourist beaten path, you might enjoy fall drives and hikes between Boulder and Golden off of 93 -- Eldorado Canyon, Golden Gate Canyon, etc.

Aspen is a lovely drive, but I too would stay closer to the other resorts mentioned and pick more of a yearround resort town like Breck and Vail. With the off season, be sure to check local papers for daily or weekly specials for restaurants. Enjoy your visit!!

SaltysMom Jul 3rd, 2010 10:30 PM

Clove, you can check into white water rafting. You definately have to visit the Maroon Bells - just minutes from Aspen. Drive or rent bikes to get out there. One of the most photographed places in the world because it is so dang gorgeous. Outside of Aspen (towards Glenwood Springs) there is a turnoff for a town called Carbondale. Take that and follow to Redstone. Old mining town along the gorgeous Crystal River. Cute breakfast cafes - or book dinner at the Redstone Inn. Visit the Redstone Castle while you are there.

coffeegirl Jul 14th, 2010 06:06 PM

I agree with SaltysMom, The St Julien is the place to stay in Boulder & the restaurant there has a delicious breakfast. Our son took us to Boulder Cafe for breakfast on our last visit & the food & coffee were very enjoyable. You might check out Jax for dinner, another wonderful meal.