Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A Few Questions About Restaurants In Old Town Alexandria, VA And The Smithsonian In D.C.

Search

A Few Questions About Restaurants In Old Town Alexandria, VA And The Smithsonian In D.C.

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Samantha

Hi - My husband and I are going to visit Washington D.C., staying in the evenings at the Holiday Inn Select in Old Town Alexandria. A few questions:

Any comments about an exceptional meal you've had at any of the restaurants near the hotel? We prefer Italian, seafood, and Chinese.

Although I'm sure they're all worth the time, our time will be limited in D.C. What 2 or 3 museums of the Smithsonian did you enjoy the most?

Thank you for any replies.

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:09 AM
mary lewis

I think you will find the restaurant selection near your hotel quite good with lots of seafood and Italian choices - not so much Chinese. My favorite Smithsonian is the Museum of American History - so much stuff about this country - and the exhibits are top-notch. Can't really say about the others - my interests aren't art of space - so keep that in mind. One museum (non-Smithsonian) to keep in mind is the Holocaust - but plan ahead you need timed tickets for the permanent exhibit. Have fun!

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Steve

Check Washingtonian Magazine's web site for mini reviews of restaurants. The also have a list of the 100 best restaurants and the 100 best cheap restaurants.

My favorite Smithsonian museum is the Renwick. It's a museum of American crafts and is never crowded. It's accross Pennsylvania Ave from the White House. Your favorite will depend on what you like. If your into history, go to the American History museum. If your into modern art, go to the Hirschorn. If you into Asian Art, go the the Freer gallery. Their website will give you some idea what's in each gallery (www.si.edu) Also check out the National gallery's web site www.nga.gov

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:44 AM
Christie

My favorite Smithsonian museums are the American History and the Natural History . American History has the First Ladies' inaugural gowns and the original Star Spangled Banner. Natural History has dinosaur skeletons and the Hope Diamond.

Other recommendations: National Archives (they rotate daily displays of the original Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Declaration of Independence) and Arlington National Cemetery (JFK's grave and the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns).

Have a great trip!

Old May 11th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Neal Sanders

Samantha, you've chosen a great spot to stay; the Holiday Inn on King Street is about as central as you can get in Old Town.

First things first: if your stay includes a Friday night, then roust yourselves as early on Saturday morning as possible and trundle across the street to the Market on the plaza in front of City Hall. It is one of... no, it's the most colorful sight in Washington, with 80 or so vendors selling everything from flowers to criossants to crafts.

As to food: King Street is a diners delight. If you want Italian, Landini's (two blocks down toward the river) is wonderful. Chinese? Wrong town. There's the China Taste on King Street right near you, but don't waste your money or spoil your vacation. King Street specializes in the unusual: Spanish tapas, Indonesian, Japanese, Indian, Thai, etc. The more unusual ones are past Washington Street, a few blocks west of the hotel.

At the museum complex on the Mall, head for the National Gallery's West Building, which houses the cream of the collection on the main floor; the gem hall on the second floor of the Museum of Natural History; and the main hall of the Air and Space Museum. Each takes about two hours to appreciate, though each could also easily take a day.

If you're looking for a very nice restaurant near the Mall, I can recommend Les Halles at Pennsylvania and 12th Street. It's a French bistro, very lively and the food is superb and moderately priced.

Old May 11th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Samantha

Thanks to those of you who have replied so far. I've done plenty of research in travel books and at web sites, but it's great to get opinions from those who have "been there, done that." Neal, my husband will be especially delighted about the out of the ordinary cuisine near our hotel. He's the adventerous eater in the family! Thanks again for the suggestions.

Old May 11th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Ann

I live in Old Town, and while we unfortunately don't have any exceptional restaurants in our neighborhood, we do have several very good ones. I prefer Geranio's (turn left out of your hotel. It's right on King Street) and Ecco (turn right down King, left on Union Street. It's on the left) over Landini Bros. But Landini's is still a good option. For seafood, I like the Warehouse (also on King, go right out of your hotel). Don't go to the Charthouse. It's an overpriced chain with very average food (although the views are excellent--maybe just go there for a drink). I've heard some people that like the Wharf (corner of King and Union--turn right). The Fish Market (still King Street) is good for casual dining. The food's adequate, but it's a fun place.

Fav Smithsonians: American History and Air and Space.

There are no good Chinese restaurants, or even good Chinese delivery in Old Town. There's a decent Thai place--Chintana. It's about a 15 minute walk from your hotel (go left) up King Street.

Other Old Town favorites: Union Street pub (just off King to the right on Union); Southside 815-excellent Southern-style food (a bit of a hike--turn left up King, then left on Washington, down to 815 Washington.); across the street from Southside is the Blue Point Grill. Never been there, but I've heard it's one of the better restaurants in Old Town.

For coffee, visit Misha's. It's on Alfred (or is it Patrick)? Left from your hotel, left on either Alfred or Patrick. There's a Starbuck right by your hotel, and a Xando not much further, but Misha's is far better.

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:59 PM
Brett

Samantha: Here's an unlikely suggestion about dinner in Old Town:

A friend and I recently had dinner at a place called Stardust (www.stardustrestaurant.com). It's about 10 blocks north of your hotel, on the corner of Washington Blvd. and Montgomery Street (?). It's trendy and a little pricey, but the decor is wild and the stuffed trout I had was wonderful. My friend enjoyed his steak too.

You could take a taxi there, then walk off your dinner by walking down Washington Boulevard back to your area. There are several other restaurants in that area, including one where some wonderful Italian smells were eminating, and a diner straight out of a John Waters movie.

If 10 blocks sounds too far away, I'd stick with the earlier recommendations.

Old May 12th, 2001, 05:15 AM
Andrea

Again - you've chosen a lovely location to stay at. The Holiday Inn is one of the nicest I've ever seen. No one has mentioned Blibo Baggins - you know, from The Hobbit. Its a lovely restaraunt in Old Town. Also, I've been going to Union Street Bar & Grill for years - for the bar and the food upstairs (Cajun sort of, and fabulous onion rings). Also, I'm a little partial to the place since that's where I met my fiance. Two places where the locals go... one is a unique souwestern restaraunt called Austin Grill, left from your hotel on King Street. It's always packed so enjoy the wait time with their swirl margaritas. Also, Faccia Luna on S Washington has wonderful homemade pizzas and a variety of Italian dishes and its inexpensive.

As for DC... you didn't mention restaraunts in DC... but there are so many that I have to mention a few. Try Filomena's on Wisconsin near M Street. You'll want to walk around Georgetown a bit and this is the place you'll want to try for Italian. Zagats never rates it very high - but the food is great and if you're lucky you'll see the "Pasta Mamas" making fresh pasta in the window. If you'd like to experience a bit of the power side of DC try Old Ebbitt Grill on 15th. Its across from the Treasury Building, has a lot of history, Teddy Roosevelt used to go there almost daily, a beautiful oak bar and has inexpensive seafood and grill food. Try Jaleo for fabulous tapas and very cool mosaic tables. I could go on and on when it comes to food and restaraunts.
But now on to museums... as everyone has said American History is great - you can't miss it, the National Archives, Air & Space - they have great IMax films and airplane and space shuttle displays. I would say those are the top three and the West bldg of the National Gallery of Art. Nobody mentioned the Zoo and our new pandas or the Library of Congress to see the Dead Sea Scrolls and thousands of other famous documents. Some unique sights you might want to research are: Dumbarton Oaks in Georgetown, the Phillips Gallery in Dupont Circle, and the Marjorie Merriweather Post Estate - faberge eggs and other collectibles.

Enjoy your visit. You'll be planning your next trip back before you leave DC.

Old May 14th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Christina

My favorite Smithsonian museums is also the American History; then probably the Air and Space and Freer. I assume you know Natl Gallery is not Smithsonian, but I would put it in top 3 for museums otherwise. I think the Natural History is very bad for that kind of museum, so it's interesting some think it one of the best; I do like the gem collection and that's it. Oh another of my favorite museums is the Building Museum, but it's not Smithsonian or on the Mall.

Old May 14th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Leone

Samantha - we live in Old Town and know all the restaurants. Ann's suggestions are good. I have a few other ideas: if anyone didn't mention the Blue Point Grill on Washington St., 4 blocks south of King St. Excellent seafood, especially fresh oysters from the west coast. This is soem of the best seafood in the entire DC area ... you will need to reserve. About one mile west of Old Town is Stella's restaurant ... doing fabulous food. Near the King St. Metro station. By the way, the Fish Market at the botton of King near the river is very good ... we had dinner their yesterday ... terrific. And the Chart House always has a line! Avoid. If you like Thai, then "815" at 815 King St. is very good. Easy Wind nearby is good vietnamese. There is a nice Greek place across the street - cannot recall the name. The South Austin Grill at Columbus and King is okay ... very friendly, fast, inexpensive. And a chain place, XandoCosi, at Washington and King is very nice indeed ... we ate a fast, small meal there a few days ago and were very pleasantly surprised. On a Friday or Saturday night, walk down King St. toward the river and see all the motorcyclists, and then venture over behind the Torpedo Factory (tour it) and see all the nightlife out by the river ... great fun. If you get a chance, take a boat trip up river to Georgetown ... DC is terrific from the water ... you get the boat behind the Torpedo Factory. Bring you walking shoes and see the Towpath ... runs along the river ... just ask anyone for directions. You can rent a bike for this path as well, and go either south or north. Have a good time, and welcome to Old Town Alexandria. Ciao.

Old May 14th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Ann

Brett-so Stardust is good? I went there just after it changed to Stardust and was not impressed, and haven't been back since. Guess I'll have to try it again.

I agree with the Bilbo Baggins suggestion--particularly for brunch.

A couple of suggestions I really don't care for: East Wind (neither of us could finish what we ordered because it was so bad); Austin Grill is your average chain restuarant, although the Old Town location is better than the Gallery Place location in DC--you can get the same food faster and cheaper at Los Amigos, just a block or so up on King Street from Austin Grill, and no lines! People go to Austin Grill to meet other people, not for the food; Stella's--I found out why I used to dislike this restaurant so much. Whatever you do, only go to Stella's during regular lunch or dinner hours. I'd gone twice around 3 p.m., and found the food, menu and service lacking. Recently, I went 3 times right around 1 p.m., and have had excellent lunches.

If you're on a budget, try La Porta's on Duke Street (close to Stella's). Monday and Tuesday nights, it's $24.95 for two dinners and a bottle of wine. Food was good (not great, but you definitely got your money's worth), and the wine wasn't half bad. Of course, my husband and I were literally the only people in there under the age of 65.

Old May 14th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Adrienne

Leone,
Since you live in Old Town Alexandria, perhaps you can tell me about the Del Ray area. I will be relocating to the DC area in July, and I have heard some interesting things about Del Ray-- "The Adams Morgan of Alexandria". I enjoyed AM, but we cannot afford the rent in that area. I would love to live in Old Town, but can we find an apartment for $1000 & under? Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old May 14th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Leone

Hello, Adrienne: Yes, I know Del Ray very well ... we actually almost bought a house there in 1994. Being redeveloped. Nice houses ... tend to have big lots. Much nicer than Adams Morgan, and safer. If you think about renting there, get close to Mt. Vernon Avenue and Commonwealth Ave. Not too far from Russell Rd. You want to be toward the King Street end, between Hume and King. Check a map. As far as Old Town, just cannot tell you about rents ... we have a two story condo there and like the area very much. Everything decent sells for $300K and up, so rents will be a bit high, I imagine. Suggest you contact a realtor, maybe Pardoe, and ask what they have available. Keep in mind where the Metro stations are ... near King Street station is nice, and as you go toward Braddock Rd. station, it tends to get a bit spotty. Also, use King St. and Washington St. as ground zero ... the closer you get the more expensive it is. Old Town, in the zip code area 22314, is the hot area for buying ... prices have gone up, up, up. If you drive, ask an agent about Duke Street (Rte. 236 west) of Old Town ... you may be able to find apts. a mile or so west of Old Town that are much more reasonable. Hope this helps.

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:12 PM
aflamplighter

I also like Stalla's and Union Street B&G, another place with good well priced food suddenly the name escapes me... somebody help me its on washington at about duke, I think, its fairly eclectic local joint 1/2 bar 1/2 resurant tables on the side walk might see a harless biker or two they serve interesting burgers, ribs, pasta with a spicy flair. Have fun old town is cool

Old May 15th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Ann

Del Ray's a good neighborhood. However, comparing it to Adams Morgan is a bit like apples and oranges. AM has a lot more bars and restaurants squashed into a small area, and Del Ray is a bit more spread out. Also, AM has much more of a nightlife. That said, I prefer Del Ray. It's a better place to live and there are several good little restaurants. For apartments, check www.washingtonpost.com. That's probably the best place to start.

You can probably get a one-bedroom for $1,000 or less.

Old May 15th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Leone

Adrienne - Thinking some more about Del Ray, yes, Ann's ideas are great. If you do look at that area, I'd suggest you get near Mt. Verno Ave. and at least 3 blocks away from US1 - the traffic. If you need Metro, then get near Braddock Rd. station or possibly King St. The restaurants are for the most part on Mt. Vernon, and some are nice, others not so. Evening Star, for example, is a favorite for some, but not for us. But there are a number. You'd also be close to shopping on King St. west of Old Town. It's a nice area, and not too long a walk from Old Town.

Old May 15th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Ann

I tried Evening Star for lunch the other day, as I had heard so much about it. My chicken sandwich was excellent, but can't say the same about the service. In fact, I ended up estimating my bill and leaving it on the table because the waiter was MIA for more than 20 minutes. Doesn't make me want to rush back.

Old May 15th, 2001, 12:28 PM
L

Yes, Evening Star is very so-so ... dumbest wait staff I've even encountered ... can't understand why folks go. If you're into Thai, try the place across the street from RT's restaurant ... about 34?? Mt. Vernon, just down from the Birchmere, same side. Been there several times ... great food. Ciao.

Old May 15th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Adrienne

Leone and Ann,
Thanks for the info on Del Ray. We'll be heading down in the next two weeks to check out apartments. One question- what is the local paper in Alexandria?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -