Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   A few NYC questions for the experts.......Gotravel, HowardR etc. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/a-few-nyc-questions-for-the-experts-gotravel-howardr-etc-488742/)

Momof5 Dec 1st, 2004 03:42 PM

A few NYC questions for the experts.......Gotravel, HowardR etc.

Happy Holidays
As I prepare for my NYC trip I must gather up all the good info you all have given me. I know my trip will be awesome because of all your help. But I thought I woudl ask you a few more favorites if you have the holiday time to answer them it would be great.

1- Favorite thing to do or see in NYC that is not known.
2- Favorite hotel- upscale and regular
3- Best way to hail a cab
4- Favorite expensive restaurant
5- favorite inexpensive restaurant
6- best thing to do there during the holiday season
7- Your favoite show on Broadway
8- What do you wish all tourists would do but don't
9- Any celebrities you have seen in NYC
10-Best overall NYC tip!

Thanks so much, I thought it would be fun to see everyones responses. All of you have been great and I know while I am in NYC I will think of you often.

I hope this is not all to confusing, with 5 kids I do multi-task but sometimes not that well.

Thanks again

nytraveler Dec 1st, 2004 03:55 PM

1. I love the exhibits at the NYC Public Library (but this is only semi-unknown)
2. the Mandarin Oriental - don;t know any regular hotels - since I live here - and use them only for business
3. Know which direction that will be coming from (varies by time of day and part of town) and pick the best mid-block spot where you can attract cabs from either side of the street. Walk as far out into the street as you can and BE ASSERTIVE!
4. Avoid the really expensive ones whenever I can
5. Sea Grill - just took a client there last week and rediscovered how much I like it
6. Tie: department store windows (stroll at night inclduing rock center) and Neapolitan tree at the Met - preferably when they;re having a concert
7. Wicked
8. Learn to walk without clogging up the sidewalk (stop gaping unless you're going to pull over to the side - and move briskly if the sidewalk is crowded)
9. Dozens - way too many to name (Woody Allen used to shop in my market - I would see him at least every 2 weeks - and I nearly hit Alec Baldwin with my car - missed him by about 6 inches - his fault)
10. Bring money and an open mind!

Scarlett Dec 1st, 2004 04:03 PM

Hi , although I am not Howard or GoT, I did live in NYC for a long time up until last Jan, so can I put in my 2 cents worth? :)

3- To catch a cab:
Step off the curb, stick you arm in the air and just stand there.
4- Something that is not known to do or see ( they are all known!) but we used to really enjoy just taking the dog out for a walk, either in the neighborhood up to Central Park..or down on Riverside Drive and watch the people .. it is endlessly fascinating to people watch in NYC.
6-Best 'corny' thing to do on Christmas for us was to walk down Fifth Ave and look at the windows, then go to either the Plaza for tea or to Serendipity for hot chocolate..both have great sentimental meaning for us.
Second best thing we did was to go to Lincoln Center and just listen to music or see the Ballet.
2- The only hotels we stayed in (since we lived there) was a weekend at the Plaza (anniversary) and a weekend at the Helmsley ( anniversary) and a weekend at the Pierre ( met old friends from Ca and ended up staying over)
5-Le Bernardin
6-Indian on 9th Ave.
Il Corrallo on Prince St
so many, these come to mind first.

HowardR Dec 1st, 2004 04:58 PM

Thanks for the notoriety!
You've posed some interesting requests.
1. This one's a real toughie right now. I really can't think of an "unknown" favorite thing. Right now, my favorite thing is to visit the wonderful and exciting newly reopened and expanded Museum of Modern Art. It's not unknown, but it's at the top of my list right now. I love the place!
2. Since I'm a New Yorker, I can't offer any insights or recommendations here from personal experience, but if I had my pick, I think I'd go with the Four Seasons or Palace.
3. My best tip: If you're near a major hotel, there are almost always cabs available. Otherwise, nytraveler's advice is good.
4. What do you mean by expensive? I'll arbitrarily say that over $50 (including tax, tip and drinks) is expensive. In that category, I've got to go with my favorite, Chez Josephine. Oh, there are better (and more expensive places), but I don't go to them and CJ is a place that we love.
5. I guess I'll go with Becco in the under $50 range.
6. The entire midtown area is the best thing about Christmas in New York! It's tough to pick one thing.....the Nutcracker at Lincoln Center is certainly right up there.
7. Our current favorite is La Cage aux Folles, which we just saw and loved. But, we have several other favorites (in alphabetical order): Avenue Q, Chicago, Hairspray, Movin' Out and The Producers.
8. Two things: 1. That they come knowing that NYC, as the best city in this country (the world?), is going to be more expensive than their hometown and not complain about it; 2. That they'd all stop smoking!
9. As nytraveler indicated, when you live in the area, over time you're going to see celebrities. And, I've seen and been with more than my share. My most memorable: Having lunch with Marlo Thomas while interviewing her for a story I was writing.
10. Walk, walk, walk!

gyppielou Dec 1st, 2004 08:24 PM

Don't qualify, although I lived in Manhattan for 3 1/2 weeks last year, working and exploring.
1.Yellow Water Taxi during good weather!
2.Rhiga Royal for room, Michealangelo for intimate lobby.
3.Directly before hotel stand
4. Cross between Grammercy and Gotham
5.Grimaldi's, Joe Allen for a burger.
6.check out windows and ice skate at rock center
7.looking forward to the new season, with Little women, dirty rotten scoundrels, le cauge, and more that escape me. Other than that Wicked. producers,
8.Leave Times Square
9.Yupp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10.Walk, walk, walk, and look both ways before crossing! Explore!!!!!!!!!!!

lisettemac Dec 2nd, 2004 04:25 AM

I haven't read the other posts, so please forgive if I repeat:

1- Favorite thing to do or see in NYC that is not known. -- see the Conservancy Gardens in Central Park at 105 and 5th Ave.
2- Favorite hotel- upscale and regular -- I don't often stay in hotels, but I had a nice stay at the Inter-Continental for upscale and I like the Omni Berkshire for regular
3- Best way to hail a cab -- raise hand before you see available cabs coming to prevent others from standing in front of you and getting your cab.
4- Favorite expensive restaurant -- So many it's hard to pick. I love Sea Grill, Fresco, Remy, etc.
5- favorite inexpensive restaurant -- Pesce Pasta
6- best thing to do there during the holiday season -- see the tree at the Metropolitan Museum
7- Your favoite show on Broadway -- Wicked
8- What do you wish all tourists would do but don't -- walk in a straight line!
9- Any celebrities you have seen in NYC -- none recently
10-Best overall NYC tip! -- don't take out your map and stare at it on a crowded street.

Patrick Dec 2nd, 2004 05:20 AM

I'm not a resident, but a frequent and sometimes extended stay visitor:

1) Tickets to dress rehearsals for the New York Philharmonic, or backstage tour for the Metropolitan Opera (not to be confused with a Lincoln Center tour).

2) Upscale- probably the Mandarin Oriental, otherwise the St. Regis.
Regular -- Marriott Marquis for their big rooms and giant windows for views.

3) Lay down in the street and make them stop. (Sorry, I don't do well at hailing cabs, I'm not aggressive enough, I guess).

4) Le Bernardin

5) Virgil's or Ollies

6) See the Radio City Spectacular

7) (That I've seen) Wicked, (That I want to see) La Cage aux Folles.

8) Walk faster

9) Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Sarah Jessica Parker, Mary Louise Parker, Michelle Lee, Sean Penn, Robert DeNiro, Richard Dreyfus -- all at Joe Allens.
Bernadette Peters at Orso. Rosie O'Donnell at Rachel's.

10) Walk, walk, and then walk. And keep your eyes open.

Tandoori_Girl Dec 2nd, 2004 05:30 AM

I commuted weekly for about a year (beginning full-time, just my luck, on 9-10!). Honestly, it was grueling and I didn't get to take too much fun time. But one thing that I absolutely loved about Manhattan was the little gardens and waterfalls that you'd find tucked away at the front of some building in the midst of all the craziness. I wish I could remember where they all were. While looking for one near Rockefeller Center, we came across a piece of the Berlin Wall that had been placed at the front of the building, labeled appropriately. Now where else in the US will you find that? It was listed in a guide book, as were many of the small gardens.

The other thing I loved was my walk every morning from my subway stop to my office that took me through the Flower District. All those flowers, shop after shop, displayed out on the streets, that would always make me perk up. And even remind me a little of my home, Florida.

GoTravel Dec 2nd, 2004 05:33 AM

1. Favorite thing but it is well known would be a tie between The Frick Museum and the Staten Island Ferry at dusk.

2. Regular hotel is either The Surrey or Le Parker Meridian and upscale is St. Regis.

3. Easiest way to get a cab is on the Avenues if you aren't near a hotel.

4. March is my favorite expensive restaurant.

5. Angelos Coal Oven Pizza or Second Avenue Deli are my two favorite inexpensive restaurants. If you can count it, Pommes Frites is also up there with Venerios.

6. Favorite Holiday thing is mass at St. Patricks and skating in Wollman Rink.

7. Not a big Broadway fan but LOVE the ballet. The NYC Ballet is doing a 50 year tribute to Ballenchine this year with The Nutcracker.

8. I wish tourists wouldn't walk down the sidewalk at the pace of dead four abreast. I also with they would watch the traffic instead of the Walk/Don't Walk signs.

9. I have seen many celebs in Manhattan. My favorite encounter was in Sephora talking with a short girl on the subject of red lipstick for 20 minutes. After we parted, Mr. GoTravel said to me, "you realize you just spent 20 minutes talking to Drew Barrymore about red lipstick?".

10. Enjoy the city! You can sleep when you get home!

LoriNY Dec 2nd, 2004 05:42 AM

Although I am not the informative GoTravel or HowardR, my two cents:

1. Small out of the way churches
3. Step off the curb and hold up your hand. Also, go by hotels and make like you are staying there.
4. Le Bernadin, Montrachet
5. Any pub
6. Walk around midtown, see the store windows
7. Can't say. they last show I show was the original cast of The Producers, but I am anxiously awaiting Spamalot in February
8. Stop in the middle of the sidewalk to gape, stare, look at a map, or just talk to each other. Move it over to the side.
9. I like to think that by living in NY we are all celebrities :)
10. Enjoy!!!!!

ellenem Dec 2nd, 2004 06:11 AM

Lots of good answers already so this may be tough

1- Morgan Library (closed for expansion now), Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace, Central Park Conservatory Garden (during blooming seasons)
2- The Plaza for its easy-access restroom after a visit to Central Park
3- Step off the curb and stick out your hand.
4- Union Square Cafe, though not as expensive as many
5- Sonar Goan ($6.95 for a complete Indain dinner on E 6th St)
6- window shop
7- don't go enough to have a favorite
8- As many have said, treat the sidewalk as a highway. Would you stop your car in the middle of a highway to read a map? Pull over, please!
9- Too many to name. Most spotted in the grocery store or Duane Reade doing ordinary things--it's their home, too.
10- Learn to read the light on the roof of taxis.
=Center light only (number) on: taxi is available so start waving.
=Side lights only (little "off duty" words) on: cab is off duty and can't pick you up. However, he or she might stop if you are going in their direction and they can just pick you up and drop you without diverging off their route home. Wave them down only if you're headed someplace simple--straight uptown or downtown.
=All lights off: taxi is occupied so don't bother to hail them.

mclaurie Dec 2nd, 2004 08:12 AM

1- Favorite thing to do or see in NYC that is not known.
<i>Among</i> my favorites, limited engagement musical cabaret performances - whether it be Bobby Short at the Carlyle Hotel, someone at the Oak Room at the Algonquin, Feinstein's at the Regency...special salutes to jazz artists, composers etc. Look for these listed in the New Yorker magazine, playbill etc.

2- Favorite hotel- upscale and regular
Haven't experienced enough of them to choose, but for location at Xmas time and public spaces upscale the Pierre and regular the Blakely.

3- Best way to hail a cab
Pick a corner where you have a chance of getting a cab coming from 2 directions. At holiday time, a side entrance to one of the dept stores may yield a cab dropping someone off. For that matter, any place where a cab might be dropping people off (hotels as previously mentioned, theaters at the appropriate time etc.)

4- Favorite expensive restaurant
Haven't tried a lot of the new ones but La Grenouille is an old favorite and the last of it's breed.

5- favorite inexpensive restaurant
Hamburger Heaven

6- best thing to do there during the holiday season
For a tourist-attend a seasonal event like the Christmas Spectacular, the Nutcracker etc.

7- Your favoite show on Broadway
I look forward to a few that haven't yet opened like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

8- What do you wish all tourists would do but don't

Nothing!! Some of my best times have been just sitting...in a hotel lobby, a restaurant...stop running around ticking things off a &quot;must see&quot; list and enjoy the city.

9- Any celebrities you have seen in NYC
As others say, too many to count. Lately I seem to see the most along Madison Ave. from 60-79 sts. Keep your eyes open.
10-Best overall NYC tip!
Read about what's going on for the dates you'll be in town. You may find something you'd never think about. Places to look-nycvisit.com, NYer Magazine, NY Mag (newyorkmetro.com)and magazines in your hotel room like Where.

suzanne Dec 2nd, 2004 09:31 AM

1- Favorite thing to do or see in NYC that is not known- The wonderful bike paths.

3- Best way to hail a cab- At a corner with traffic going in the direction you want to go. The available cabs have a light on on their roofs.

4- Favorite expensive restaurant- Gramercy Tavern

5- Favorite inexpensive restaurant-
For Indian buffet lunch - Cardamom
For Korean - Kori
For pizza - Grimaldi's
For burgers - Old Town Bar
For Thai - Regional Thai
For great bar food (&amp; a good pint of Guinness)- Walker's

6- best thing to do there during the holiday season- go to lots of Christmas parties (including crashing my friends' company parties at TOTG &amp; Marriot Marquis) some of which are fancier than weddings - big companies often spend half a mil or more on these bashes.

7- Your favorite show on Broadway- Chicago. I am also anxiously awaiting Spamalot.

8- What do you wish all tourists would do but don't- Walk single-file when the sidewalk is crowded...and pull over to the side if you're going to stop. Pretend it's a highway.

9- Any celebrities you have seen in NYC - too many to list. I've seen at least 20 celebs this year including Ethan Hawke, Denis Leary, Sarah J.P.

10-Best overall NYC tip-
Don't be afraid to ask for directions...NYers are friendlier than you think and are willing to help.

Ryan Dec 2nd, 2004 10:16 AM

Will selectively answer this one:

1) The view from my living room window. I'm right on the Hudson on the NJ side with a view that runs from the GW Bridge to the Battery.

2) The Peninsula as it is the only hotel in NY I've ever spent the night in. Although, for my wife's birthday next year, I've booked a room at the Mandarin Oriental.

3) Stick your handout. If it is raining or during the evening rush, be observant and be willing to view others as your competition for a scarce resource.

4) Several already mentioned. For, it's expensive but I could eat there everyday, Da Silvano.

5) La Mangeoire on 2nd and 54th for very reasonably priced Provencal food.

6) Have a drink at Morrell's Wine Bar across from the Rock Center Tree.

8) I assume you are looking for an honest answer here? Ok, well here it is - LEARN HOW TO WALK IN A BIG CITY. You can't walk five people across at a pace that says &quot;I'm meandering.&quot; You can't stop in the middle of a crowded mid-town sidewalk at rush hour and expect that you will not inconvenience numerous people who are trying to make a train/boat/subway to get home to their families. Anyone who works within 5 blocks of Rockefeller Center or Radio City, IMHO, would be lying if they said they didn't hate the sidewalks this time of year.

8a) Don't patronize the pariahs selling FDNY and &quot;Ground Zero&quot; merchandise near the WTC site and the people selling knock-offs of designer goods. Some of that merchandise is sold by organized crime and even if it isn't, that money helps no one except people avoiding taxes.

9) Too numerous to mention and I've seen people in all parts of town. My favorite encounter occurred about 10 years ago as I was standing outside a friend's Upper West Side apartment. My friend was saying &quot;It's colder then I thought, I think I need a coat. I don't know, we're going to be inside, maybe I don't.&quot; As he's having this internal, but vocal, debate with himself Jerry Seinfeld walks and says &quot;You know, I think you need a coat.&quot;

10) Have fun!

GoTravel Dec 2nd, 2004 10:27 AM

Does anyone realize that we've nearly all had the same answer for question #8?

Kehsutton Dec 2nd, 2004 10:52 AM

This was one of the best posts to read! Hats off to Momof5 for asking the right questions and a tip to everyone with the answers.

(I'm in Boston and I looooong for days and nights in NYC, I miss it so.)

michelleNYC Dec 2nd, 2004 10:52 AM

Only a couple of things to add:

2. Favorite Hotel/Upscale: Mandarin Oriental and Four Seasons

3. Best Way to Hail a Cab: nytraveler hit the nail on the head. Also, be patient -- you'll need it.

4. Favorite Restaurants Expensive: Picholine, Babbo, DaSilvano, Per Se

8. What do you Wish all Tourists would do but Don't: Oh my gosh -- I work in Rockefeller Center so... I am pretty biased about this. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't just stand in the middle of the sidewalk and look up, down, left, right, have a chat, take a picture, have a laugh, light a smoke, etc. PLEASE MOVE OVER!!! I am on my way to a meeting/home/dinner/lunch/work and you are precluding me from getting there on time and sane! Sorry... but that's one thing that really bugs me about this area.

10. Best Overall NYC Tip: Take it ALL in (just move over first) because, as others have said, this truly is the most dynamic, incredible, vibrant city in the universe.

Momof5 Dec 2nd, 2004 12:42 PM

WOW!!!!!
How can I thank all of you for the great answers. I hope people keep posting because I find it so interesting and apparently so do some of you. I to will make sure I am one tourist group of 4 that walk in a single line and treat it like a highway. It is so annoying when you are on a good walk to be abruptly stopped so someone can look at a map or look at a window. Thank you Kehsutton, I tried to ask questions that would really help me not drive you locals crazy. I know I have obvious questions but still I love to hear the different opions.

The reason I picked GoTravel and HowardR. is because A- I can remember their names and B- they always give their honest opinion. But I do hope nytravler forgives me for forgetting him or any of the rest of you experts ir must be all that hoilday craziness.

I am going to jot down my itinerary on a new post and hope you all let me know what you think and be honest I can take it and appreciate the opinions.

Again I am soooo excited to come to NYC and I hope I do recognize a few celebrities while I am there. Being originally from Vegas I do see them there also.

HowardR may i ask who do you write for?
Thanks Stacey

Again thanks and a BIG KISS to you all!

michelleNYC Dec 3rd, 2004 08:10 AM

ttt -- lots of good info here

HowardR Dec 3rd, 2004 11:32 AM

Hey, Momof5, how can I not answer your question, when you've just paid me the highest of compliments by calling my forum responses &quot;honest.&quot; And I thank you for that.
In response to you question about whom I write for, I've had several magazine and newspaper positions, including the Boston Globe. The Marlo Thomas interview occurred when I was working for an educational publication and she had just come out with that woderful book, Free to Be You and Me.