A Fabulous 18 Days in Oregon and Washington

Jul 30th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

A Fabulous 18 Days in Oregon and Washington

Thank you so much to all the Fodorites who helped me plan our trip. It was so much fun and everything went off without a hitch. The weather was much hotter than I had anticipated but there was not a drop of rain. I wish I had stayed a few more days at Mount Rainier. We absolutely loved it there. With so many of the waterfalls closed, I could have skipped a second night in Hood River. So much to see. Here are the links to my blogs with lots of pics. Happy to answer any questions, including airbnbs we stayed at-we stayed in a few great ones and one absolutely fantastic one!

Oregon:
https://totravelistolive678431148.wo...nd-washington/

Washington:
https://totravelistolive678431148.wo...17/washington/
Jul 30th, 2018, 01:05 PM

very nice trip report and photos. Glad you enjoyed our beautiful state of Oregon. Have seen most of what you reported on but nice to see through others eyes.
Jul 30th, 2018, 05:09 PM
mms

I agreed, that is a very nice trip report glad you enjoyed your time out here. I have been to every place you mentioned 😊 Iahtee that Rainis way more impressive than Hood, but we are so spoiled with all the great mountains around here. D
Aug 1st, 2018, 11:57 AM

Well I've never been anywhere near Oregon or Washington State and now I really want to go.

Thank you for opening my eyes to the beauty of this part of the US.
Aug 1st, 2018, 03:27 PM

I'm glad to see you got to see Crater Lake without a lot of forest fire smoke. There is a nice Best Western in LaPine that is not as expensive as Bend. There are a few non chain motels in Bend that are still under $100.
Next time you come back, be sure to see the High Desert Museum south of Bend. It's a lot nicer than the Warm Springs museum.
I got to see a lot of dust from the Gambler 500 from the fire tower I work at. Several days this past week my visibility dropped to less than 5 miles. (normally 40+). The smoke/haze has been coming in from several large fires in Oregon and northern California.
Aug 1st, 2018, 05:04 PM

I would like the contact info for the airBnB in Brookings. Looked fabulous. Will see if I can find it online.
Aug 2nd, 2018, 05:39 AM

Skunktown?

Is this an ode to our high quality herb or a misspelling of Stumptown?
Either way, I love it.
Aug 2nd, 2018, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annhig View Post
Well I've never been anywhere near Oregon or Washington State and now I really want to go.

Thank you for opening my eyes to the beauty of this part of the US.
annihig-that was exactly why we went. I had very little knowledge of that area of the US and it was all beautiful-highly recommend it!

mms-Rainier was fabulous and yes-all the beautiful snow capped mountains. Sorry we never got to explore Mt Baker area. Flying over the Cascades to Spokane really showcased how incredible that area is!

tomfuller-I think that the music festival made the prices so high but we definitely enjoyed Bend and having the points to use when you encounter those super high prices is what they are there for. We were lucky in that we did not run into any smoke from any fires on our travels.

sunburn- The airbnb was even more fabulous than you could imagine:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21769861

bbqboy-it is both-though I had to explain it to my 81 year old mother!
Aug 2nd, 2018, 09:38 AM

What a superb couple of trip reports. You are a very lucky mom and your daughter's pretty lucky too.

You certainly lucked out on the weather front. Many are the visitors to Crater Lake and Mount Rainier who never see the mountain or sometimes even the lake; when they're socked in that's that.

Not to belabor the point, but those of us who happen to be big boosters of our region (well, okay, me, but there will be more) will only say that comprehensive as this trip was (and you did a fabulous job of including so many things) there are still whole areas you didn't have time to see. I guess you'll just have to come back, or maybe your daughter will go to school somewhere around these parts. If you love the mountains and an artsy, quirky vibe, then next time head to the Wallowa mountains in extreme northeastern Oregon. I'd bet real money you'd fall in love with Joseph, Oregon; here are a couple of photos (not mine) to pique your interest.

Aug 2nd, 2018, 12:00 PM

Great trip report! I especially love how you share how some of these destinations made you and Jenny feel. It really made me a little embarrassed at how much we take for granted, and how I really need to go out more.

So glad you got to see some colleges. We have also toured L&C, UW and Willamette and share many of your opinions. If you want to chat about any of them, feel free to PM me if you'd rather not wax on a general website. It sounds from your report like you grew up in the Netherlands. I don't know what your college application process is like there, if so, but it can be very stressful here in the USA.

I'm also laughing about the Rainier/Hood comparison. In July, both mountains look a little bare. Your photos of Mount Rainier definitely look more glorious, and maybe we need to get a day trip up there this summer! Again... you're inspiring us all.

But I do love Mount Hood with new snow on it, especially at dawn or dusk, it just sort of glows. Of course that's if it's not cloudy! A couple of photos that explain what I mean.

Mount Hood - Hiking in Portland, Oregon and Washington

https://www.history.com/topics/us-st...gon/mount-hood
Aug 3rd, 2018, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

gardyloo- Thanks again for all of your help! The weather was indeed fantastic! Northeastern Oregon looks fabulous! So many places...

5alive-I grew up here in the States, my father was from Holland and moved here not too long after the war. My daughter is a rising junior so she still has time to see more colleges and make a decision. I appreciate your offer to chat about the colleges. I think it will all boil down to how she feels about them such as why Gonzaga was taken out of the game. The photos of Hood are indeed beautiful. It wasn't that we didn't think it was beautiful it was just that Rainier felt rawer and more wild. That area is really spectacular!

Search this Thread