A day in the life of a 11 yr. old tourist

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:59 AM
tourist

A day in the life of a 11 yr. old tourist

We will have one day to venture into NYC city. We're staying with family on Long Island. Two kids who know nothing about NY- except maybe heard of Empire State Bldg. What would a good day be for them - where to start, what to see, where to eat, etc. etc.
to make it a great day for them. 11 and 12 yr old girls. I'm hoping all you New Yawkers will come through for us!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:22 AM
Merilee

I would take them for a ride on the Staten Island Ferry so they could ride past Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. After that I would take them to the top of the Empire State Building. If you go to 5th Avenue at 50th Street it would allow them a chance to see Rockefeller Center and St. Patrick's Cathedral. If you continue walking on 5th Avenue they would also get a chance to see all the many stores along there. At 5th Avenue and 59th Street you could head into Central Park for a quick peek at the children's zoo or the ice skating rink. I don't know how sophisticated your 11 and 12 year are so I'm giving a general itinerary of popular places to visit. There's a Madame Tussaud Wax Museum in Times Square and from there you could show them where the ball drops on New Year's Eve. As for dining, maybe one of the theme restaurants would be fun for them. If you go more for the atmosphere than the food then you shouldn't be disappointed with places such as The Hard Rock Cafe on 57th Street or the Jekyll and Hyde's on 6th Avenue near 57th Street. Serendipity is the a very good and fun place to go for dessert. Do they like to shop or go to museums? There are so many different itineraries to suggest based on their personalities.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:22 AM
xxx

Good title to the post.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Lara

Tourist, where do the children live? What do they like?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Marj

Merilee gives lots of good suggestions but not all could be covered in a day. ALso when you plan, consisder where things are lcoated so you are not doing too much 'commuting'. My thought is Spending a morning at the museum of Natural history and the Rose Center Planetarium. Eat lunch locally, or if weather permits pick up lunch to go and picnic in central park. You can walk around the park, depending on the weather you can ice skate, go to the zoo, etc. If your kids like museums, you can then go to the Metropolitan Museum. If they have had enough of museums, you can head down to chinatown/little italy for dinner & dessert, maybe with a stop along the way depending on how much time you have(empire state building, rockefeller center, south street seaport or walk around the village).

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Merilee

Actually, you can do what I call the whirlwind tour in a day. I've done it with visiting friends and relatives on many occasions. You start very early in the morning at the Staten Island Ferry. From there you take the subway (also fun for kids who have never been to the city) to 34th Street where you visit the Empire State Building even if you don't go to the top in the event there's a very long line. From there you walk down 5th Avenue where you will pass the library, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral and too many stores to name here. You can either walk along Central Park South when you get to 59th Street and view it (Central Park) from the outside or take a quick peek inside at the children's zoo and or the rink. From there it's an easy walk to 57th Street where you can eat at The Hard Rock Cafe or Jekyll and Hyde's. As I stated earlier, these are not fine dining experiences, but they are alot of fun for kids, who don't mind the food at all. When people are pressed for time this is the tour I give them because it gives them a general overview of major city sights. You could finish up the day with dessert at Serendipity's.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Chris

Merillee is right, you can do her itinerary in a day, and my 11 year old son loved basically the same activities. After the peek at Central Park, I'd find someplace to eat, hopefully near Times Square (and Merrillee's suggestions were good); then be sure it's dark when you step outside and watch them thrill at the lights! It's a must with kids! There's also a huge Toys R Us in the middle of Times Square that has a ferris wheel INSIDE.

The museums are wonderful indeed, but not for a "day trip." Save that for your second visit. With Merrilee's itinerary, they will see the biggest highlights and thrills.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 12:56 PM
tourist

Lara the kids are coming from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Canada). They have never really travelled much and don't know much about NYC except their cousin lives there and it sounds exciting. Funny story..when one of them told her friend about it (now this is a 10 yr. old)..she said that she knew New York had streets full of trash! I told her that it wasn't true....so they're excited but don't really know why!

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:22 PM
mmm

Bring them to the Swatch store - it's great. Niketown is nearby too, but girls might not be thrilled with that.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 06:58 PM
kat

Merilee's ideas are right on target for your girls. I live on Long Island and have a 12 year old son who has seen all that she suggested and this itinerary will give your girls a great overview of NY. Have fun!

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Dan

I grew up in NY and agree that the itinerary she laid out is great (the subway is a must) with two exceptions: First, if they're nature buffs, you must go to the Museum of Nat History. An entire city square block, 7 stories tall, a blue whale hangs from the cieling of the mammal room. Second, go with your urge to eat locally and avoid those amusement park restaurants like the Hard Rock. You want fun kid food? Let them eat a street dog, Ray's Pizza, Little Italy. You want something int'l but easy access? Korea town is two blocks SW of the Empire State Bldg, cheap and delicious!

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me the best Broadway or off Broadway play for these two girls? Keeping in mind this would be their first "real" performance? And would you make that part of their one day in the city or would that be just too much for one day? Thanks.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:55 AM

Lion Kink or Beauty and the Beast. Aida is an alternative or even 42nd Street.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:56 AM

OOPS. Sorry about the typo above. Lion Kink may be the name of an adults only version, but I think Lion King would be a good choice!!!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 10:29 AM

I would:

Go to the Met and look at the arms and armory exhibit and the egypt stuff, then go up to the outdoor sculpture garden for the great view of the park and the city (point at the Empire State from there). Then stroll a little through the park, cab down to John's pizza for lunch, walk through Times Square, head over to 5th avenue to Sephora (12 year old girl's make-up paradise) and then do some Bloomingdale's(more affordable than Saks). Then a nice early dinner at Payard on the upper east side...no reason the young ladies can't enjoy a fancy restaurant and they can go up to the pastry case and select from the most fabulously beautiful desserts they may well have ever seen.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 10:25 AM

Great suggestion about Sephora for a mini makeover. There is a huge store in Times Square as well. I would skip the ferry. Too 'out of the way' unless you are planning to do the South St. Seaport & Ground Zero while in the area. Otherwise, I would focus on the 'spine' of the city. Start at Popover's for breakfast, then do the Museum of Natural Hist. & Rose Planetarium. Walk down to Tavern on the Green & take a peek around the lobby and into the crystal room. Cut through the park to the eastside via horse & carriage (in front of Tavern). End up at E60th entrance on 5th. Visit the Plaza & see Eloise portrait. Across the street to FAO, head south to St. Patricks, Rock Ctr, and end up at Empire State Bldg. Dinner at Ruby Foo or Virgil's in Times Square & an evening performance of Beauty & the Beast or 42nd St. That will just about finish you off.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 11:12 AM

If the weather is beautiful you can consider the Staten Island ferry. Otherwise give it a miss. Consider dropping by FAO Schwartz, one of the biggest toy stores in the world on 59th and 5th. I would also skip the "theme" restaurants - you can find those in many big cities. If they like meat I'd go with Deli (2nd Avenue is best, but it may be more convenient to go to a tourist trap one like Stage or Carnegie). Agree that Lion King is a great choice. Have fun!
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 11:39 AM

Off Broadway the Blue Man Group would be a great show for the kids to see. I don't think you can get tickets for Broadway's Lion King or Beauty/Beast, you could try though. Carnegie Deli for sure, wait until they see the size of those sandwiches!!
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 12:44 PM

I would really try to do the things that are uniquely New York. Times Square, Central Park, the library, Statue of Liberty, FAO Schwartz, hot dog stands, New York pizza (they say it is different). I highly recommend doing the Empire State building at night. It is breathtaking. I have done it at both during the day and at night and was much more impressed at night - all those lights! Also doing it in the evening would allow you to see all the places you had been earilier in the day. Others have given good itineraries I just wouldn't spend too much time in a museum. Rockefeller Center, Today Show might be fun if you get in early enough it doesn't take too much time. Bloomindales or Macy's, even the corner fruit stands are different.

Watch some movies filmed in NY and look for the landmarks, plus this builds excitement, they can say "we'll be there". I know I duplicated others suggestions but obviously they are good. The subway is great and for some of us even a taxi is a new experience.

Do try to plan it out before you go so you aren't backtracking - can't help you there. Have a great time!