Driving Newark Airport to Boston via Tappan Zee Bridge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that the best driving route from Newark Airport to Boston is via the Tappan Zee Bridge (to avoid maximum traffic). However, I cannot figure out via Mapquest or Google Maps the route from Newark Airport to the Tappan Zee Bridge (and then on to Boston).

Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 08:16 AM

When I checked a map, I found this route would work *IF* traffic is not a problem. Carry a map of NJ in case there is traffic, as there are innumerable ways to get from Liberty Airport to Boston.

Anyway, as you exit Liberty Airport, head west on I-78 -- AWAY from Bayonne, the Holland Tunnel, and New York City. Almost immediately you will come to the Garden State Parkway; head north. This tollway will lead to I-287, soon after you cross into New York State. Go east on I-287, cross over the Tappan Zee Bridge, and stay on that freeway until you get to I-684, just past White Plains. Go north on I-684 until in intersects with I-84. Go east on I-84 towards Danbury and Waterbury. Eventually I-84 runs into the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90). Head east on that tollway towards Boston.

I emphasize I know nothing about the basic traffic on any of these express-ways; and, even if I did, one accident could make any one of them a parking lot. Have a basic map to be able to switch to an alternate if necessary.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 09:31 AM

Traffic on 287 and going over the Tappan Zee will be heavy during commute times in the morning. 684 should be ok with some traffic in afternoon commute time. 84 will also have commuter traffic during both commute times.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 10:02 AM

Paul has the route correct. There is always some traffic on this route - but less than the alternate route which is over the George Washington Bridge.

If you want to set GPS - ask is to take you to Nyack, NY - that is right close to Tappan Zee Bridge. After that Danbury, CT will keep you in the correct direction.

Once you commit to either Tappan Zee or GW Bridge, there really are few good alternate routes. I drive from Boston to places south of DC several times/year - always take Tappen Zee Bridge. (and grew up in norther NJ so familiar with roads, traffic, etc)
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:50 AM

There is no one best way to go - itall depedns on traffice,construction,acidents etc. Suggest you getgooddetailedmapsof the hwole area (GPS can be fatal) and listen to 1010 WINS - localnews and traffic whie you go on the shuttle to pick up yuor car. If nothing awful is mentioned about your route - go ahead. If they say the Garden State is blocked with a misplaced truck (or whatever) have other routes in mind.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 07:50 PM

On Google maps, after you have the program plot a route for you, you can actually drag the route and force it to cross the Tappan Zee Bridge. Then it will rewrite the directions for the new route.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 03:06 AM

Trucks are not allowed on GS Parkway - but understand the sentiment about an accident blocking traffic. In my experience, there is always some issue in NJ with either the Turnpike of GS Parkway - it is just too much volume to handle the traffic. When we drive Boston-NC (or Georgia) a huge part of it is in the timing - you want to avoid rush hour in Boston, Hartford, NY, (and then for us Baltimore/DC). If you can avoid these metro areas during rush hour, half the battle is won - also Sunday afternoon/evening.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 03:14 AM

Yes, listen to 1010 WINS on the AM band. Traffic news every ten minutes, almost always accurate.

Out of rush hour (that is, between 10 and 3) and barring bad news on 1010, we find the Jersey Turnpike-GW Bridge-I 87- Cross County Expressway-Hutchinson River Parkway-Merritt Parkway-Wilbur Cross Parkway-I 91-I 84-Massachusetts Turnpike route to be the fastest.

We drive Richmond-Boston about 6 times a year now, at all seasons.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 04:24 AM

"On Google maps, after you have the program plot a route for you, you can actually drag the route and force it to cross the Tappan Zee Bridge. Then it will rewrite the directions for the new route."

You can also use AAA Trip Tik (even if you're not a member) to drag and change the route similar to Google. AAA's will give you construction info. I don't know if Google will.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 06:17 AM

Must you drive? This trip can be done by train, relatively inexpensively ($49 one-way per person from NY Penn Station to any Boston station with two-week advance purchase; AirTrain and NJTransit from EWR to NY Penn, about $15 or so), with no traffic worries, rush hour madness, etc.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 08:27 AM

For some reason both Google and GPS want you to take the GW Bridge. DON'T! You definitely want Tappan Zee although there are times of the day when the approach can be congested, it's still WAY worth it.

Whatever you do, do not take Palisades Parkway -- which dear sister insisted I do and it added about 90 min. and a lot of confusion to the trip.

Think Paul's directions are good, although you can also take I-95 north to 80 West to the Garden State.

You may find life much nicer on the Garden State and on various toll roads in New England if you purchase an EZPass (aka FasatPass or ....) ahead of time, if you have time to order it and have it mailed to you. This is a pass that gets you through toll plazas via an overhead "reader" -- you just choose the EZPass gates and slow to about 15-20MPH until you get a green light.... MUCH quicker than the lines to pay cash. It works on roads all up and down the east coast, including bridges and tunnels, but unless you know exactly where to go you can't buy one on the road (There is a purchase kiosk on the Garden State at the last service area before NJ, but you'll have already had to pay a few cash tolls). The website for NY's EZPass (doesn't matter where you get it -- it'll work in Ct. and Mass. too) is: http://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/about.shtml
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 09:46 AM
cw

I agree with Ackislander's directions if the traffic reports don't tell you something else. I have run into too many mid-day traffic jams in Waterbury and Danbury.

Re: EZpass or Fast Lane. When I received mine (FastLane in Mass.), I was told it wouldn't work on out-of-state tolls for 48 hours. So check into this if you're thinking of obtaining it the day you drive.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't see an answer to bspielman's question. EWR has its own Amtrak station. 6 trains per day from shortly after 6AM to shortly after 6PM. $73/pp to either Back Bay or South Boston.
Unless you are driving with your SO, or kids, try the train.
The train takes 5 hours +or - 10 minutes normally.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 03:33 PM

Amtrak's website reports a two-week advance purchase one-way fare from EWR to either Boston station of $55 with no change of trains. If on time, the trip can take as little as 4:51.
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the great advice!