A bit of old New York - Cafe Edison

Old May 14th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit of old New York - Cafe Edison

In discussing the paucity of decent pre-theater dining in the theater district, a friend of mine (who is very restaurant experienced in town - dining at top places,etc.) noted that they go to the Cafe Edison (in Hotel Edison on 47 St.) for pre-theater meal. We did it last night. First - here is a spot - if you were casually walking by you probably would not choose to go in - very plain - needs a new sign out front,etc. But once inside (and I go back quite a few years in this town seeing the massive changes in restaurants, food service, menus, chefs over the years) you will realize you have stepped into yesteryear - the decor, ambience, et al - could be a movie set (frankly - I loved it). The food is New York nostalgia and they do it with no chachmas (ask me for a translation - if necessary). They serve what is easily the best matzo ball soup in New York - and at $3.50 a bowl - almost a meal. At my friends recommendation I had the cheese blintzes - also the best in town. All the good sandwiches - pastrami, corned beef et al on the menu and enough "main dishes" to choose from. And the prices - almost everything in single digits and the rest in low double digits ( low teens and below that). One of the best food values in town ( take note of this - visitors on a budget looking for decent food). If you check reviews on Google you will find mixed reactions to the service. We had a very pleasant waitress who was efficient, friendly - but others note "rude" service. But that "rudeness" is really a function of the old time NY places like the old Carnegie Deli - it's the authentic atmosphere. The service problem I had was that she brought my blintzes before I had finished the soup - and ditto for those at the table. So - if you go remind the waiter not to bring your main dish before you finish the soup.
This is not a place where you make reservations - just walk in - we had no problem being seated - plenty of tables at around 6pm
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:10 AM

Thanks for the review.

The potato pancakes are supposed to be good also.
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the review. We've had many breakfasts there but have not been there for dinner. Perhaps we need to give this a try!
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Does anyone by any chance know who owns the Edison now?
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:10 PM

OK Joe, I must go back one of these days - it's been a while but I used to like the place too.
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:20 PM

Everything is amazing at this place... Try the homemade rice pudding!! It is still owned by the original family and run by their son-in-law. I have seen many famous people eating their too. This place is truly a jem of New York's theater district.
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:25 AM

I don't agree at all about the paucity of good pre theater dining. The options are endless if you include all the restaurants on 8th, 9th & 10th ave.
Old May 16th, 2010, 07:54 AM

Thank you Jroth for let me know about Edison Cafe, as an ex New Yorker it will lovely to stop there. I enjoy Jewish food, who does not love the pastrami sandwiches and all , nostalgia is a good ingredient...by the way to my Jewish friends don't you agree that Italian mothers are
similar to Jewishs mothers....
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:51 AM

don't you agree that Italian mothers are similar to Jewish mothers....

Whoever said no.
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:15 PM

I heard it often I guess it is because both worry a lot about their children, even when they are grown up. I guess it is exactly like that, at any rate I am half Italian and like very much Jewish food,
possilby I like more Italian food....any way " se non é vera é ben trovata : Have a nice day...
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:42 PM

Warning:

If you are part of the Travel Board Police and only read things that are directly related to travel. Please skip this posting. There are also a few words at the end that the most prusih will find offensive.

The following is an old Lenny Bruce routine,(since there are no ones since he has been dead for over 40 years) about what is Jewish and what is Goyish (a Yiddish word for something that is decidedly not Jewish.)

Dig: I'm Jewish. Count Basie's Jewish. Ray Charles is Jewish. Eddie Cantor's goyish. B'nai B'rith is goyish; Hadassah, Jewish.
If you live in New York or any other big city, you are Jewish. It doesn't matter even if you're Catholic; if you live in New York, you're Jewish. If you live in Butte, Montana, you're going to be goyish even if you're Jewish.

Kool-Aid is goyish. Evaporated milk is goyish even if the Jews invented it. Chocolate is Jewish and fudge is goyish. Fruit salad is Jewish. Lime Jello is goyish. Lime soda is very goyish.

All Drake's Cakes are goyish. Pumpernickel is Jewish and, as you know, white bread is very goyish. Instant potatoes, goyish. Black cherry soda's very Jewish, macaroons are very Jewish.

Negroes are all Jews. Italians are all Jews. Irishmen who have rejected their religion are Jews. Mouths are very Jewish. And bosoms. Baton-twirling is very goyish.

Underwear is definitely goyish. Balls are goyish. Titties are Jewish.
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Adu - Thanks for the Lenny Bruce shtick. I hardly missed an appearance by him back in the 50's and 60's. He was on the cutting edge and hilarious. One of his best bits was Jesus showing up in the back of St. Patrick's and plotzing at what was going on. Yeah - and he did start a bit with: "Dig:"
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:57 AM

Great review Joe. We used to frequent the Edison quite a bit in our early visits to the city. I always loved seeing the lobby seating area with the Deco murals. The Rum House used to be fun for us newbies, with the same singer at the piano every time, and I just looked on their website and they are opening a new restaurant , the Edison Ballroom in June, and the decor looks old Art Deco too.
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:49 AM

You are welcome Joe.

Did you know Bruce and Buddy Hackett were romm mates and they did not remember what happened for weeks at a time.
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM

>>

When I was 12, I saw Buddy Hackett at a table (gambling) in Las Vegas at about 6 a.m. He obviously had not yet been to bed. So this is not at all surprising.