Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   A&E #1 Christmas place in the USA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/a-and-e-1-christmas-place-in-the-usa-387244/)

POWERPUFF71 Jan 14th, 2004 09:23 AM

A&E #1 Christmas place in the USA

This past Christmas I saw a special on A&E featuring an amazing German Christmas town. I could not find the name of the town or even the state! HELP! It looked incredible and I would love to take my German mother there. There were guest hosts; one was the guy from HBO's Sopranos, another was the model Frederique and I can't remeber the 3rd.

Little_Man Jan 14th, 2004 11:19 AM

It might be Rothenberg am Tauber. Great historical little town. But there is another town I can't think of right now that has a big Christmas market... try posting on the European board, they'll know over there!

Austin Jan 14th, 2004 11:51 AM

It was the top 20 US cities with a pop of 50,000 or less. Been searching for you powerpuff and the only city I can come up with that might be it is Waverly, Iowa. (I searched google: top 20 Ultimate Holiday Town USA A&E German) Without the word "german" got a lot of hits for the cities included. When I added the word "german", waverly came up. See if that's it....

wantsomesun Jan 14th, 2004 12:13 PM

You also might try Frankenmouth in Michigan. It is a small town and all year long celebrates Christmas. There are some cute restaurants and lots of shops in the area. I took my Mother in law shortly before she died and we had a wonderful day there together.

Hope this helps.

rjw_lgb_ca Jan 14th, 2004 12:39 PM

Was it the "Ultimate Small Town Christmas" special? I think the winner was Leavenworth, WA (which bills itself as "Bavarian")....

Merilee_Tucker Jan 14th, 2004 12:46 PM

Powerpuff71,
I just went on the A&E website and I couldn't find a listing for the Chrismtas show you describe. I looked under special presentations and a couple of Christmas themes come up, but not the one you mentioned. There's a message board area on the website. Perhaps you can post a message and someone will be able to give you the answer you are looking for. There's also an area where you can e-mail the network.

Kostroma Jan 14th, 2004 01:06 PM

rjw, you are correct!

Leavenworth Named Holidaytown USA
Washington State Travel News ( Press Release )

Leavenworth, Washington's Bavarian Village named "Ultimate HolidayTown USA" by the A&E Network on their Special Presentation: ULTIMATE HOLIDAYTOWN USA

LEAVENWORTH, Washington, USA: December 18, 2003: Oh little town of Leavenworth! Leavenworth is a scenic town, well known for its Bavarian theme, nestled in the Eastern foothills of the Cascade Mountains of North Central Washington. The setting, with the early snowfall, children sledding in the park and Old World style architecture, appeals to visitors this time of year like the fantasies on holiday cards.

SaraLM Jan 14th, 2004 01:54 PM

My Mom took my brother to a conference to Winachee WA near Leavenworth. They stopped by Leavenworth to see it (since there isn't much else in that area to see) and my brother being the enthusiastic young teen boy shopper said it was a stupid town with stupid shops all for women. So Mom asked what would stores for men contain. "Tires and Beer".

We have gotten many laughs over his unappreciative attitude for Leavenworth and 'tires and beer'.

POWERPUFF71 Jan 19th, 2004 10:40 AM

thanks for all your help

GoTravel Jan 19th, 2004 11:12 AM

All I can think of reading this post is how I'd rather be in NYC for the holidays.

I can't get that stupid theme song from Green Acres out of my head now!

"I, just adore a pent house view!
Dahlin I love you but gimmee
Park Avenue!"

Ba dump de dump dump! Bump bump!

Little_Man Jan 19th, 2004 11:59 AM

Feelin' really dumb here!! I read your message, but ignored the header! Oops. Well, Rothenberg, Germany, would be another nice Christmas spot ;)!