Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   A 2-3 hour stop in New Braunfels. Any suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/a-2-3-hour-stop-in-new-braunfels-any-suggestions-385005/)

maria_so Jun 25th, 2008 12:20 PM

A 2-3 hour stop in New Braunfels. Any suggestions?

Hi All,

We are renting a river house in Seguin for the July 4th holiday. We don't have the house until about 4pm next Thursday and we were planning to leave Houston fairly early that morning. Just got a new car and we want to take a leisurely drive down with the top down. Because the trunk of this Lexus is really small, we thought of doing the grocery shopping in Seguin to free up room for luggage, floats, and other items. So really, we don't have that much time but maybe a couple or so hours. I know people here would suggest the grist mill for lunch and we are planning on doing that but what else is there to do in New Braunfels after lunch? Any suggestions? I've only really been there for tubing before and have had a meal at the grist mill but it's been awhile. Would love to get some other ideas. We just need to be in Seguin at 4pm to unload and go grocery shopping.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. Happy upcoming 4th of July to everyone!

swisshiker Jun 25th, 2008 12:34 PM

Hi maria_so :)

Gruene is a cute little town, and the area around the Grist Mill is literally just a couple blocks. Nice little shops, antiques, a soda fountain, Texas gifts, a wine bar, and the like. Very quaint. There's a big parking lot right there in the center. Oh, and don't forget to stop in the Gruene Hall. Check out the photos on the wall as you enter (John Travolta filmed a movie there, "Michael"). Maybe you'll be lucky and there'll be a band playing as they oftentimes do. If nothing else, have a beer at the old bar.

At Exit 200 off the freeway, there's a huge outlet center. Really huge. Takes days to go thru it.

New Braunfels proper (the downtown area) has some quaint shops and a good German bakery (oooh, their strudel!). But for just a couple hours, I think Gruene would be best for just strolling around.

Happy travels!

volcanogirl Jun 25th, 2008 12:44 PM

Hi, maria - I was going to suggest the same thing. We love Gruene with all its cute little shops, and you can stop for ice cream. Huisache Grill is another great restaurant in New Braunfels.

maria_so Jun 25th, 2008 01:17 PM

Gruene is what I meant! Sorry. Thanks for correcting me volcanogirl and swisshiker.

swiss - do you mean san marcus? My FAVORITE outlet!!! That's off I-35, isnt' it? We were going to be driving down I-10 to Seguin. Gruene is not that far of an extra stop (about 30 min) but san marcus is much farther. Anyway, I need more than 2 hours to shop! (much to my husband's dismay ;-)).

Anything else cool to do in the little town of Gruene?

Also, one of the friends staying at the riverhouse with us is having his birthday on saturday. any good suggestions for a birthday celebratory dinner near Seguin?

follow_your_bliss Jun 30th, 2008 07:31 PM

maria, with temps at 100 degrees or so, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Grist Mill. If you do go and feel you need a/c, I think they have one air conditioned room (not everyone knows this).

For a celebratory dinner, I would drive the 15 minutes to New Braunfels and go to Huisache Grill. I have a friend that lives in Seguin, but he usually comes to NB to go out. I'll ask if they have anything there that he can recommend.

Gruene IS a very tiny town. There's not more to do than eat, drink, shop or go to Gruene Hall or Tavern in the Gruene. You can do wine tasting at the Grapevine. Go to the antique mall or the Gruene General Store for ice cream or kitschy doodads.

The German bakery in New Braunfels is most likely Naegelin's, which bills itself as the oldest bakery in Texas.

Gretchen Jul 1st, 2008 04:27 AM

Someone here suggested a church on the road between Houston and San Antonio that sounded VERY interesting. Eat some good BBQ!

volcanogirl Jul 1st, 2008 09:28 AM

maria, there is some good outlet shopping in New Braunfels itself; I have a friend that lives there that's a shopaholic. I agree that I'd go to Huisache for the celebration; the only thing I know of in Seguin is the Jack in the Box. Hope you guys have a wonderful time.

maria_so Jul 1st, 2008 02:11 PM

Haha. Volcanogirl, that's funny. I was talking to my friend who's husband is having the birthday. When I suggested finding something in Seguin she said "Hmmm, doubtful there'll be any. The nicest restaurant there seemed to be Jack in the Box"!! Funny you mentioned that too. Not true, of course. We had mexican food there that was a notch (if not only slightly) better than Jack in the Box. With all the drinking going on, I think we all decided to stay put at the river house and surprise him with cake and champagne. She seemed to think that should do. Thanks for the suggestions though!

I like the idea of wine tasting at the grapevine and having a beer perhaps at Tavern on the Gruene. Is that all within walking distance to the Grist Mill (we're hot weather folks so sitting outside in 100 degree temps is fine with me).

Follow your Bliss, can you ask him if he's done the locak july 4th celebration there in Seguin? Looks like they'll have a festival in downtown of sorts and fireworks. Can you ask him where he recommends to park and watch the fireworks as a best view? The river house we're renting is on Turtle Lane.

many thanks one and all!

volcanogirl Jul 1st, 2008 03:20 PM

I hate to admit it, but every once in a while, I get a craving for those horrible little Jack in the Box tacos! You can definitely walk from the wine tasting to the Grist Mill; the whole town is very small and walkable. My husband thinks they need a sports bar there where the wives can dump the men while they go shopping.

maria_so Jul 1st, 2008 03:31 PM

Volcanogirl, I mentioned to DH that there is a proper outlet in New Braunfels itself and he said he was ok with us checking it out (man, did I marry the right man or what???!!!). So where is it exactly and is it worth it? Do they have a Banana republic, Gap, Jcrew and the like? Many thanks.

swisshiker Jul 1st, 2008 03:54 PM

Hi maria :)

New Braunfels' Marketplace is at Exit 188 or 189 off of I-35.

http://tinyurl.com/5ggpaq

There are a couple websites that list the stores, but here's one:

http://tinyurl.com/6kje34

The mega outlet mall (Tanger/Prime) is Exit 200. It's in San Marcos, about 10-15 minutes north of New Braunfels.

And yes, the bakery FYB mentioned, Naegelin's, is sooooo good!

Happy travels!

maria_so Jul 1st, 2008 09:04 PM

Hi Swisshiker! Not my cup of tea, those stores, (except maybe for the scooter store. DH has been saying nice to have one for us since most of our friends live in midtown so we can hop on one and save some $$$ on gas but doubt my car will accomodate for one - more so two!). I'll take the bakery though. Do they have the poppy seed stuff? I've had those from Weinkels and they are delish! Will look it up now so I know how to get there. Muchas gracias!

follow_your_bliss Jul 14th, 2008 02:37 PM

Hey maria, how was the trip? I'm sorry I didn't get back to you, but my friend is from New Braunfels and hadn't been to the Seguin festivities. He even came back to NB this July 4th.

I hope you guys had a great time!

maria_so Jul 14th, 2008 02:57 PM

It was fun. We did go to the Grist Mill but we had to wait awhile for a table. Food was good. Had the ceasar salad but wondered if they thought they were feeling a batallion! That salad was HUGE! Onion rings were yummy. Is that a signiture dish there? IT was priced more than the typical onion ring elsewhere so we thought it may have been a specialty of the house? We didn't have much time after that so just did a wine tasting at grapvine - interesting wines. stopped by at the general store - they had some funny things for sale. was too full to have ice cream but it looked good.

the rest of the trip was fun. we ended up mostly staying at the house and hanging out by the water. turned out that just around the corner, there was a boat accident and we never even knew it. the lake was quite busy with boats. we didn't even bother with the fireworks.

all in all, good fun. thanks for all the suggestions!