Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   9 hr layover at Newark enough time for trip to NYC? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/9-hr-layover-at-newark-enough-time-for-trip-to-nyc-854695/)

chloe642 Aug 15th, 2010 06:43 AM

9 hr layover at Newark enough time for trip to NYC?

Hi, all. My new husband I are leaving in two weeks for our honeymoon in Europe! We fly into Newark en route to London, and have a 9 hr layover between flights. We arrive in Newark at 9:40am and our flight to London departs at 6:40 pm. This is on a Sunday. We have heard that it is relatively easy to take the train into New York Penn Station. Neither of us have ever been to NYC, so we would love to see anything we could, even in a short amount of time. I just want to make sure we aren't cutting it too close with getting back in time for our international flight. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

nytraveler Aug 15th, 2010 09:13 AM

Assuming your incoming plane is on time and you really have that much time you can definitely visit the city. Just be sure your luggage is checked through - and you find a place to hold your carry-ons. You can take the AirTrain to NJ Transit ot NYC Penn Station (be sure you don not get off at Newark Penn Station).

For an ongoing international flight you will want to get there 2 hours in advance - so assume you leave Penn station again by 4 pm. So - if your flight is on time you will have 4 or possible even 5 hours in the city.

I would make have a wonderful lunch one of your main objectives consider what you are given to eat on flights.

Not sure what your interests are - but I would reco against bouncing around a lot since it will take up a lot of time. If you stick to midtown you can get a quick look at Times Square (30 minutes is plenty), go to Rock Center and ascend Top of the Rock to get an overview of the city. If you like museums have a look at MoMA - or perhaps visit Bryant Park and the NYC Public Library. This is a research - not a lending - library. the reading room is incredibly beautiful and their are always fascinating exhibit.

If you tell us what cuisines you prefer - do don;t like - and an approximate budget - people can make recos for a brunch or lunch.

doug_stallings Aug 15th, 2010 09:59 AM

Yes, you have time to come into the city, see one or two tourist sight quickly, and have bronco. Definitely take the train. It's the fastest way, and verify your return times so you maximize your time in the city.

doug_stallings Aug 15th, 2010 10:00 AM

I can't type today. See the sights ... Have brunch, not bronco.

panecott Aug 15th, 2010 11:04 AM

Thanks for the correction, Doug. I thought I was missing a new delicacy! :-)

To the OP, yes, definitely come into the city.

If you want to see as much as possible you might want to consider one of the on/off double decker buses. I wouldn't normally recommend them for anyone with a lot of time, and you'd probably not have time to get on and off, but if you just ride the bus for its entire route, you'd get a good overview of the city and cover more territory than you'd be able to on your own.

chloe642 Aug 15th, 2010 11:56 AM

Thanks for the tips! We definitely want to have lunch. We would like to try authentic NY Chinese food, maybe, but would be hesitant without a specific recommendation of a restaurant since bad Chinese can be VERY bad with a long flight ahead. Also, I really want a good cannoli for dessert. :) We know we want to see Times Square, and I like the idea of seeing the city from the Top of the Rock (?). Do you think we would have time to take the subway to Central Park for a little while, too, or is that too much to fit in?

sf7307 Aug 15th, 2010 12:45 PM

You can easily walk from Top of the Rock to the southern end of Central Park (10 blocks - 1/2 mile), spend some time in the park, and then if you need to (if you run out of time to walk back), take a taxi or subway back to Penn Station -- about a mile).

nytraveler Aug 15th, 2010 05:11 PM

I like Shun Lee for good Chinese. there's one near the SW corner of Central Park - check it out on menupages.com. Might not be what you usually think of as Chinese - generally upscale - but on Sundays they do have dim sum.

otto Aug 17th, 2010 03:15 AM

though it sounds like a long lay over, figuring all the time it will take to deplane, get your luggage, get to the newark train station, the ride into the city, etc...will be over an hour. figuring you have to check in 2 hours (at least) before boarding, and the hour back from the city, it just seems like a lot of time and a lot of coming and going.

michelleNYC Aug 17th, 2010 08:59 AM

If you do Top of the Rock, right next door is Wu Liang Ye (36 W 48th St). Great szechuan food.

sf7307 Aug 17th, 2010 09:05 AM

I'm with the group that says you have plenty of time! Even if it takes you an hour each way, plus you have to be back 2 hours before the flight, and an hour to initially deplane, etc., that still leaves four hours!!