Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   9 days too long on Maui? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/9-days-too-long-on-maui-776766/)

JC98 Apr 2nd, 2009 09:20 PM

9 days too long on Maui?

Hi, is there enough stuff to do on Maui for full 9 days (not counting flying time)? Should I try to squeeze in Kaui too?

It's our first time to Maui (have been to BI and Oahu before), and we're interested in snorkeling, hiking, pretty much anything...

Please advise since I need to finalize our tickets.

Thanks much!

hawaiiantraveler Apr 2nd, 2009 09:47 PM

I could live on Maui for the rest of my or your life......nine days are a piece of cake

Aloha!

JC98 Apr 2nd, 2009 09:55 PM

hawaiiantraveler, great to hear! Could you recommend a itinerary including all the must-sees and dos on Maui. We'd like to go out to Molokini one day to snorkel to.

Thanks!

climber45 Apr 3rd, 2009 02:26 AM

You would even have time to take a ferry to the 2 other islands that are close to maui,sorry don't know how to use spell check,.The smallest island that starts with an L is a short ride about 30 minutes and leaves from maui several times a day.Bill gates is said to have rented the whole island for his wedding.You can walk a block or so to a nice beach.Moli...is a longer ride and I believe they have mule rides.never been myself,missed the boat for real.lucky you.,lots of time to relax and explore

montereybob Apr 3rd, 2009 08:38 AM

I have read many reports from people who have snorkeled at Molokini in the last few years that state much of the reefs have died out there and that the snorkeling isn't that great anymore. You might want to check more into this before booking the boat trip which is not cheap. Still great snorkeling spots are Black Rock and Kapalua Bay (year round) and Honolua Bay in the summer. When you get to the island, the local dive shops will advise you on best places to snorkel on any given day.
Must dos: drive to the upcountry and Haleakela, drive north of Kapalua, eat at Mama's Fish House, Kaanapali Beach and restaurants, check out Wailea area and hike the lava trails just south. Stay on Maui all 9 days and plan another trip to Kauai next year for 9 days.

gyppielou Apr 3rd, 2009 09:11 AM

For me 9 days is not enough. I like to stay on the West end a few days, the south end a few days and the east end for a few days. A few days on Lanai is also a great thing!

suze Apr 3rd, 2009 09:57 AM

9 days would be beautiful on Maui. No I would not try to squeeze in a 2nd island. I enjoyed going up Haleakala mid-morning, old Lahaina Luau, historic walking tour & shopping in Lahaina.

volcanogirl Apr 3rd, 2009 10:02 AM

It wasn't too long for us. We relaxed on the beach, took the snorkel tour to Molokini, did the sunrise at Haleakala, went whale watching (seasonal), did the Old Lahaina Luau, and did the road to Hana. There's really quite a lot to do on Maui.

FrankS Apr 3rd, 2009 10:29 AM

After 9 days in Mexico or the Carribean you might be ready to go home. Not so in Maui, after 9 days you will ask yourself why you only spent 9 days.

cots Apr 3rd, 2009 11:03 AM

Nine days would be too long for me on any one Island. But then, we love to explore. I definitely recommend spending some time in Kauai. It is absolutely beautiful. Waimea Canyon (called the “Grand Canyon of Hawaii”) is a must see. From the top, the view of the NaPali Coast is breathtaking. We stayed in Lihue and did a lot of driving around the island. Get on Highway 56 and drive all the way to Hanalei. Turn right on any & every little side road to see beautiful beaches and ocean views – some of which we had all to ourselves. Hanalei is charming.

While on Maui, watch the sunrise on Mt. Haleakela for a wonderful experience. Most hotels offer a bus service to get there and you can either ride it back down or rent a bicycle and ride it back down (30-something miles, I think). Warning: it is COLD up there (in the 20’s or so at the top). We bought warm clothing at the thrift store at home, then left it at the hotel for the next traveler.

The Hana Highway is awesome. Hana is 50-something miles from Kahului. TIP: Unless you want to drive it at a snail’s pace in bumper to bumper traffic, start out before sunrise….. We had it all to ourselves for most of the way by doing that. Lots of awesome places to stop -- & trails to hike along the way, leading to magnificent views, waterfalls and some places to swim, too………..Have a wonderful trip!

cots Apr 3rd, 2009 11:05 AM

P.S. Ditto on the Old Halaina Luau -- wonderful!

MomDDTravel Apr 3rd, 2009 11:34 AM

My dear... 9 days is not enough!!!! I could stay for months and I do not think it would ever be enough. Hawaii is a many splendid thing... enjoy! We did a catamarn <sp> over to another island - drove up to Halekaela - amazing - (it is cold!) ... did the road to Hana and ended up staying the night in Hana and then going to the Seven Pools of wonder and hiking there -

Momma's Fish house was our favorite - is it still there??

We also loved the Old Lahani <sp> Luaa...

Enjoy!!!

olesouthernbelle Apr 3rd, 2009 01:17 PM

Nine to 10 days would be just about right IMO. We stayed 4 nights on the West & 3 on the South. The extra nights, if I'd had them, would have been spent in Hana.

EdieB Apr 4th, 2009 11:10 AM

We traveled to Maui two year ago and split our time between there and Kauai. Our family much preferred Kauai. Maui too commercial, busy and full of people. Kauai much more relaxing. I think the crater is worth doing in Maui and don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful place. Depends on what you want to experience. If you drive the road to Hana, which you should do, remember it's the journey, not the destination that makes it so special. Make sure to stop along the way for waterfalls, shave ice, photos, whatever. I would definitely try to take in Kauai if you can manage it.

iamq Apr 4th, 2009 11:17 AM

"...remember it's the journey, not the destination that makes it so special."

I prefer to think just the opposite is true. Gonna test that belief system AGAIN for 5 nights starting this Monday. :-d

iowagirl Apr 4th, 2009 11:27 AM

ONLY 9 days on Maui?!?!? We go every Feb. for 7 days and I always cry all the way home. "Noooooo! Don't wanna go home!"

Maui has everything you could want to stay occupied for 9 days and then some, but do leave some time for just being beach bums - that's the best part!

JC98 Apr 6th, 2009 04:12 PM

Thanks, all, for your enthusiastic responses!

So, we've decided to go even longer and cover both Maui and Kauai! 11 days total for 2 islands. Now, how to split the time between the 2? Fly in to Maui, out of Kauai.

Also, what's a good airline to fly between the islands.

Suggestions and advice are all welcome. Very excited!

iceeu2 Apr 6th, 2009 04:19 PM

Ok, I'll play....do 5 days Maui and 6 days Kauai...Hawaiian Airlines will be fine for an interisland flight.

You will love both islands...have a grand time((r))((r))((r))

beanweb24 Apr 6th, 2009 07:17 PM

When is your trip? That might help influence how long you will be on each island as well as which part of the island might be best to stay on (thinking about Kauai if this trip is in the winter/rainy season).

stpetereb Apr 6th, 2009 08:23 PM

I agree with iceeu, 5 on Maui and 6 on Kauai should be great. All of the islands are beautiful but Kauai is my favorite. Hawaiian airlines have loads of flights at all times of the day. If you get one of their credit cards you become a preferred customer and get to board early. Enjoy!