9-Day LA-Calistoga Trip with my mother

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a 9-day trip from LA to Calistoga during which I will stay at some central coastal towns as well as San Francisco. I have heard that scenary along Rt 1 is beautiful, and I do plan to drive along the coastline to really enjoy the scenary. My current plan is to spend (1) a night in LA or Santa Barbara, (2) head to Monterey for a night, (3)drive to Calistoga to spend two nights at a spa and visit wineries, (4) head down South to SF and spend two nights (5) visit Pismo Beach and spend a night (6) and back to LA for two nights. It will be a lot of driving, but I do not know how much of a detour it is to drive along the coast instead of taking Rt. 5. Am I planning on driving too much for any given day? Any recommendations on places to stay or eat or on things to do? I do want to visit Hearst mansion for sure. Any particular wineries near Calistoga that I "must" visit? What should I do in SF for the two days? Also, I would not mind any advice on revising itinerary since I have no idea whether my proposed itinerary is even doable. Last note, I heard amazing things about a dim sum place in SF, can anyone tell me the name of the place? THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 02:34 PM

The drive up highway one is spectacular and the drive up highway 5 is boring, ugly and you will be constantly be pushed by trucks and drivers going seventy five mph.Also, if you plan to see Hearst castle it is on highway one anyway. I would spend the first night in Santa Barbara or even further up in San Luis Obispo or San Simeon as the drive from LA to Monterey on highway 1 is a full day. As far as what to do in San Francisco for two days I recommend you go to the destination section of this web site as you could easily spend a week in San Francisco and not run out of things to do.I get the impression you are not familiar with California and you should get a map and a tour book and do some research. Also, if you plan to spend a night in Pismo on your return it is on highway 101 which you can take coming out of san Francisco.Overall you planned driving is not excessive for nine days.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM

I would spend the first night in a motel on Moonstone Beach in Cambria. The next morning you can get the first tour at Hearst Castle which is just a little bit north, but you will need to have reservations. You can do this online.

This, of course, is on Hwy 1. Do not think of driving up on Highway 5, as explained by the other poster.

I am sorry you don't have more than two days in San Francisco. You will need to do some research to find the things which interest you most in such a short time frame.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM

If you are not from LA, why are you returning to LA?? Why not fly out of San Francisco, Oakland or San Jose..or Sacramento for that matter??
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your advices. I am from New York, and I have been to California a number of times but mostly stayed in LA area. This will be my second trip visiting northern California, and I am very excited. The first time I visited SF, I took Rt 5 from LA, and it was a truly dreadful experience and tested my patience. Afterwards, many people told me that I was really dumb to take Rt. 5 instead of Rt. 1. ( I did not know about the alternate route because Rt. 5 came up on my driving directions and I had a tight schedule) Therefore, I am definitely planing on driving along Rt. 1 this time.

twelveoaks: thank you for your detailed insight. As for my stay at SF, should I stay near Union square area? It seems like many people recommend staying in that area. I was told nearly a DECADE ago that it's dangerous to walk around late at night. Is it safe nowadays? Also, any cool and neat shops to visit? I would like to go to places that scream out San Francisco or Northern CA.

jtrandolph: Do you have recommendations on any motels near Moonstone Beach?

Kleroux: I am heading back down to LA because of scheduling problem, and I would like to spend a day or two in LA. It does seem like waste of time. However, on the bright side, should there be a chance that the weather on my way up to SF is not good, I will have a second chance to enjoy the drive along Rt. 1 in good weather on my way down to LA.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 02:15 PM

There are actually three N/S routes, #5 which is the quick boring way, #101 which goes closer to the ocean and #1 which goes along the ocean. Make sure you know which one you actually want to take. #1 is lovely but takes the longest time to drive since it goes up towards Hearst Castle, Big Sur and into Carmel and Monterrey.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with flying out of SF after driving up the coast. I just did the drive and I wouldn't want to drive it twice (I flew into SF and out of LAX).

A CA native joined me at Moonstone Beach this week and we were ENCHANTED with the area. We stayed at the Best Western Fireside Inn and it was LOVELY. Nice decor, wifi, fireplace in the room and a patio with an ocean view. The rate for last week was CHEAP. There are several hotels along the beach to choose from, but we really did like the Fireside Inn. We loved sitting outside on the patio with our wine in the afternoon and with breakfast from the complimentary breakfast bar.

Cambria was such a neat little town. Actually, two villages - east and west. We really didn't have much time for the shops, but really enjoyed eating at Linn's - a local favorite. Our meal was very good and their pies are heavenly. I took a jar of their Ollalieberry preserve as hostess gift to friends later on the trip. The berry is a hybrid between a raspberry and a blackberry and is delicious.

We also did wine tastings around Paso Robles. I had done Sonoma earlier in the week but really enjoyed the PR wineries too.

I would recommend stopping at Nepenthe at Big Sur for lunch. The food was good this trip and the view is always amazing.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Tinster, starrs has given you a recommendation for a motel on Moonstone Beach. For more recs, go to the California Forum on tripadvisor.com and do a search. You will find much information on Cambria as well as the entire drive up Highway 1. For example, one of the messages talks about the motels which are on the beach in Cambria.

And do take the advice to stop at Nepenthe. go to the restaurant at the top and have a coffee or something. The view is tremendous.

As someone mentioned, besides Hwy 5 and Hwy 1 there is Highway 101. This is on the other side of the coast range and is a nice fast drive without the awfulness of Hwy 5. It comes onto the coast at San Luis Obispo (just before Pismo Beach)and then goes inland a little while until just above Santa Barbara. This, I think, would be a good route for your return to LA.

Have a great trip.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 08:09 AM

starrs, glad you enjoyed the Fireside Inn and Cambria, it is just a great place to spend time in. Moonstone Beach is very scenic and the place has such a relaxed feel to it. ***kim***
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Here are a few suggestions for wineries near Calistoga. Have fun!

-- Schramsberg. A historic place devoted to bubbly. The tour takes you into the cellars and the staff describes the "methode champenoise," a nice variation from the standard wine talks.

-- Storybook, if you're keen on spending an hour in an especially atmospheric tasting room (it's in a vaulted cellar).

-- Stony Hill, not far away, by St. Helena. Legendary chardonnays and a low-key tour.

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regarding spending the first night in LA or Santa Barbara......what time do you arrive from NY?
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your insights and advice! I am so relieved to gain some valuable information. I have been indeed thinking about the first day because I am to arrive in LAX at noon. Once I pick up the lugguage and rental car, I assume it will be past 1 pm. It does seem like Moonstone Beach will be a great place to relax and enjoy what CA can offer, but I am curious as to whether it is a "doable" drive after 5-hr flight from NYC. I went to tripadvisor site as jtrandolph recommended, and the drive from LA to Cambria will take at least three to four hours. (Am I correct?) Also, I also found a winery tour company that is highly recommended in tripadvisor site. Should I just visit individual wineries myself or join the group whose tour guide may know the finer things of Napa?

I have been working overtime(as I write this at 12:04am EST, I am still in the office) and letting my mind wander in California a bit is quite relaxing and enjoyable. Thank you all!!