Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   9/11 Memorial passes--is it really necessary to reserve in advance? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/9-11-memorial-passes-is-it-really-necessary-to-reserve-in-advance-991694/)

P_M Sep 13th, 2013 04:06 AM

9/11 Memorial passes--is it really necessary to reserve in advance?

I will be in NY in a couple of weeks and I want to see the 9/11 Memorial. We will be doing so much in NY and I don't like to commit to a certain time and date in advance if I don't have to. I looked at the web site and it seems there is plenty of availability on the days we will be there. Do you think it will be OK just to show up without a reservation?

Thanks.

starrs Sep 13th, 2013 04:28 AM

It's that most elusive of answers - it depends.
But I did the same and had no problems.

nytraveler Sep 13th, 2013 06:41 AM

It does depend - at times there are significant lines - at others hardly any.

HappyTrvlr Sep 13th, 2013 07:16 AM

I booked around 8am for entrance in early afternoon, same day. It helps if you can print out the passes. If ypu can't there is an extra step at a different location to pick them up.

Shar Sep 14th, 2013 07:48 PM

could be lines depending on date and time. we have tickets because we don't want to take the chance of wasted time standing in lines.

doug_stallings Sep 15th, 2013 06:04 AM

You do need o reserve to avoid a long line since there are tons of tourists in the area right now, but you can generally do so online the day before or sometimes even the same day. BUT you have to be able to print out your confirmation.

P_M Sep 15th, 2013 07:12 AM

Thank you all, I will make the reservations.

If I may piggyback, is it necessary to do the same for the ferry to Liberty and Ellis Island?

doug_stallings Sep 15th, 2013 09:46 AM

Yes, you must absolutely buy those tickets in advance. Otherwise you wait hours ... As in plural ... And then are likely not to be able to enter the statue. But it's likely far too late for crown tickets. Just book the earliest possible ferry and see if you can get tickets to enter.

doug_stallings Sep 15th, 2013 09:48 AM

FYI ... Ellis Island is not open right now. So if its the museum that interests you, perhaps take a cruise that goes by but not to the Statue and save lads of time.

P_M Sep 15th, 2013 11:44 AM

Doug, thanks for that helpful info. I tried in August to get tix for the crown and they were already sold out then but I thought we would still to go Liberty Island. However if the museum on Ellis isn't open then we might just save both islands for another trip.

Time to make a new plan, thank you all.

P_M Sep 29th, 2013 04:50 AM

*********UPDATE********

We did get passes in advance and thank God for that because there were at least 100 people in the line for not having a pass, while those of us with passes were ushered on in. It was well worth a visit and I highly recommend it.