Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   8 nights - Maine Coast (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/8-nights-maine-coast-844896/)

dec528 Jun 14th, 2010 05:18 AM

8 nights - Maine Coast

Hi everyone, we are 3 40'ish singles from Miami doing the Maine coast the last week of June. We are flying into Manchester arriving Saturday evening and flying out a week later on a Monday afternoon, so we will ahve around 8 full days (sunday - Sunday) and plan to drive up (or down) the maine coast. Still researching, but we plan to hit some of the various towns, spending 2 or so nights in each. At this point, thingking of doing something like 2 (plus or minus) in Kenningbunkport/ogunquit area, Porland, Camden, Bar Harbor/Acardia). Looking forward to enjoying the New England beaches, seafood, towns, etc. Not really into shopping or serious hiking/camping, plan to stay in nice places (inns/B&B's) by or near the water, and just take it in.
My main question right now is, since we are flying out on Monday afternoon from Manchester, I think we should end up somewhere fairly close to this on Sunday, so maybe leave the southeast coast for the last weekend. So upon arrival, do you suggest leaving Kennibunkport for the end and heading maybe straignt to Portland, then going to Camden, Bar Harbor and then driving back down to the southeast coast for the last weekend in the Kennibunkport area? Originally I'd planned on driving up the coast, starting in the southeast, ending up at Bar Harbor, and then heading back down for our flight out of Manchesor on Monday, but want to make sure I leave enought time the last day and not be rushted to make the flight. any thoughts on this would be appeciated.

And finally do you think this is a reasonable itinerary for 8 days. While I do one or two trips per year, I tend to like to go to new places, so don't know if or ever I would be back to maine.

emalloy Jun 14th, 2010 07:49 AM

Your plan sounds fine and starting in Portland and then going north, saving southern ME for the end is a good idea. If you type Maine lodging into the search box or just go to Maine in the by state box, you will find lots of threads here on that.

Do expect the water to be a bit cooler than in Florida, unless you grew up swimming in Maine, no one goes in until the middle of July and that is only south of Portland.

dfrostnh Jun 14th, 2010 08:39 AM

If you don't mind all the moving, your itinerary sounds ok. It's hard to cover so much territory in just 8 days. You might also consider staying in Portsmouth NH your last night. It's an easy trip to MHT from there. There's a lot of great restaurants and things to do.
Camden is beautiful and not to be missed but you might consider Rockland lodging and just part of a day in Camden on your way north to Acadia. Portland is so close to Kport/Ogunquit that doing Kport at the end may actually make more sense.

dec528 Jun 14th, 2010 10:24 AM

thanks, yes I know the water will be a lot colder and not really planning to spend time actually swimming in the ocean, more just to enjoy the different coastline, change in temperature and everything else (its 90+ degrees and humid in Miami today)

djkbooks Jun 14th, 2010 10:52 AM

My recommendation would be to go as far north as you plan to go, then work your way south. A plan to spend your last night in Portsmouth (or Hampton), NH would put you within an hour of Manchester airport.

Know that there can be a lot of fog (that lasts all day) in the Bar Harbor area, so you would want to book accommodations with a liberal cancellation policy. We spend a week at the end of one June in Bar Harbor/Camden/Boothbay Harbor. Bar Harbor was totally fogged in three days, Camden very foggy, and Boothbay Harbor totally clear.

You'll find that rates for waterside lodging tends to be much more reasonable in neaby towns - such as Wells, rather than Ogunquit or Kennebunkport.