8 days Vacation trip by road from Dallas to DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering 8 days Vacation trip by road from Dallas to DC in holidays. Last moment plan owing to some challenges. To be together and explore DC / Mall.

Is it worth?

We are four - 50M, 46F, 23M, 16 M.

Plan to leave Dallas on 26th and return on 2nd or 3rd.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 02:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hotel prices are flat or low that week. You're possibly planning on 4 nights in DC and two days of travel on either end of your trip from/to Dallas?

Once in DC, your car will be completely unnecessary 95% of the time so you will need to factor parking it as an expense if $ are a concern. $35-$60 a night for valet service at hotels in the city. Recommend you stay in the city if your budget permits. There are a few options for parking the car other than at a hotel.

The two experiences for which a car is much easier are Mount Vernon and the Udvar Hazy, the adjunct to the Smithsonian's Air & Space Museum near Dulles airport. Otherwise you should be good to walk or take the Metro.

The obvious wild card is winter weather en route or in DC but hopefully that will all work in your favor. You should be able to see a lot and with far fewer people than most times of the year.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 04:58 PM

IMHO, absolutely not worth all the travel time and money.

You won't have time to stop and experience any of the interesting places you might pass near. It will just be four long days in a car on mostly boring highway.

The expense of those four days of travel for gas and hotels would probably come close to cost of airfare, so might as well just fly into DC for 4 or 5 days, be rested when you get there and ready to sightsee.

Spend the other days at home doing something fun.

Also, the way our weather is starting to look for winter, I probably would not do it at all right now. We are in Baltimore, just North of DC. Everything was iced much of the day and is freezing again tonight. Some events were even cancelled this morning. Of course, it is personal. I hate being out in ice and wind, but it may not bother you at all and there are lots of museums and theaters in DC.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 05:36 PM
kja

I agree that driving here would not be my choice and could be quite a challenge. Flying makes much more sense to me!

My experience of DC in winter seems a bit different than that of Sassafrass -- DC is rarely incapacitated by snow or ice, and instead often offers a wealth of options for winter tourism. But nothing is guaranteed, and you should definitely consider your willingness to take the risks of delayed or cancelled flights and weather-related closures, in addition to your tolerance for being outdoors if the weather is inclement. And you should definitely check on holiday related closures -- many museums and other sites in the city are closed on holidays.

Hope that helps!
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the leads. Very helpful indeed. I can add couple of day more to my plan. It will be great to know how the road trip can be more entertaining with places en route.

Of course I will watch out for weather and intend to take hotel in suburb of West Virginia- that takes care of parking - somewhere around Falls Church. Would that make sense. Lure cavern is also in mind while returning.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 01:28 AM

Falls Church or anywhere that far out is a bad idea unless you have friends who will let you stay for free. You spend all your time traveling and not enough sightseeing.

Every must see place in Washington is free, as are 80% of the rest, unlike NYC. Therefore, you can afford to stay in the city, where it is easy to get around on most of the Metro.

Hotels in Washington are already reasonably priced on weekends because the business travelers go home, and the holiday week is likely also to be fairly empty, so look for good rates. Priceline is great if you know how to use it.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 11:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You spend all your time traveling and not enough sightseeing.

I don't necessarily agree with this. I prefer hotels in the city and subsequently within walking distance of lots of the sights but staying in Falls Church (or Arlington or Alexandria) is going to be 10-15 minutes from the National Mall on the Metro.

Don't know what the OP's hotel budget is so that might have some bearing on the decision.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 03:12 PM

Luray Caverns are a fun place to visit. I do enjoy road trips, so would find the trip fun.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 03:42 PM
kja

If you are planning to use the metro system to get into and out of DC, you might want to take note of planned closures associated with ongoing repairs to the system
https://www.wmata.com