Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   7 nights in Maui, Hawaii. Where to stay??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/7-nights-in-maui-hawaii-where-to-stay-867014/)

Rs_travel Nov 17th, 2010 07:34 PM

7 nights in Maui, Hawaii. Where to stay???

Dear All,

Me and my husband are going to be in Maui from 15th- 22nd Dec. We would like to stay in a condo, preferably water front or with water views..

Can people please share their experiences in condos in Maui? We would like to stay in either west or south Maui.

We would like to drive on the road to Hana. Do you think we should stay for a day in Hana? Or should we divide the stay between two places?

Thanks and happy holidays to everyone!!!

Regards,
Ra_travel

SaltysMom Nov 17th, 2010 08:27 PM

Stayed at a great condo a couple of years ago called Sugar Beach Resort. Right on the beach (didn't have to cross the street like most condo resorts). Great waterfront rooms and super nice pool. Great prices too. If you Google it, you can check out their website. Didn't do the drive to Hana. Heard it's long, tho. I think I would prefer to stay there and not drive there and back all in one day.

Melissa5 Nov 17th, 2010 10:08 PM

Rs_travel: My favorite side of the island of Maui was on the Hana side. HOWEVER its NOT the road to Hana itself that is wonderful...to me, the road to Hana is just the route to the other side of the island. Therefore its NOT a good day-trip in my opinion. BUT if you can spare the time for a 2 or 3 night stay on the Hana side of Maui, there are many lovely spots to discover OFF the road...

Rs_travel Nov 18th, 2010 06:32 AM

Thanks SaltysMom and Melissa5. Will check out Sugar Beach Resort and see if I can spare a few days to stay in Hana.

Looking forward to more suggestions on what condos are good to rent in West and South Maui..

logandog Nov 18th, 2010 08:01 AM

Sugar Beach is not such a great location. The water is not as clear and nice as it is further into Kihei. The beautiful beach conditions start at the Kamaole beaches and extend through Makena and beyond.
We like Hale Pau Hana. It is directly on Kamaole II beach with wonderful swimming and snorkeling.There are many good dining options within walking distance, including Da Kitchen directly across the street.
Sugar beach is more isolated at the end of town and has far fewer choices for walking to dining and shopping.

DebitNM Nov 18th, 2010 08:34 AM

We thought these were very nice when we went to the beach.

Napili Point Resort

http://www.napili.com/

voyager61 Nov 18th, 2010 11:14 AM

A little more information on what kind of budget you have and the beach environment you prefer would be helpful. Wailea beaches are beautiful. We liked Ekahi Village (condos) in Wailea, snorkeling at Elua Beach close by and walking the coastal trail there. Kihei, next to Wailea, is a beach town with a lot of fun little restaurants, but staying there is a more "urban" experience than it would be at a condo or hotel in Wailea. We liked staying in Wailea, but also enjoyed lunches and dinners in Kihei.

baddeck Nov 18th, 2010 11:46 AM

I definitely would promote the KAMAOLE SANDS - which is in Kihei but almost in Wailea. Have stayed there three times and it's a wonderful location. Beach at Sugar Beach isn't great, and if you want to go to the beaches further South (which are the nicest) then quite often you can get tied up in traffic. This year we're going to stay at EKOLU VILLAGE which is in Wailea but more expensive than Kamaole Sands, but couldn't get into the vrbo at Kamaole Sands that we usually stay in. You'll have fun no matter where you stay though!! But definitely try vrbo.com for condo rentals!!

Rs_travel Nov 18th, 2010 01:48 PM

Thanks everyone for the details. I'll check out these places for condo rentals.

We would like to have ocean front condo, and would like the price to be definately lesser than $200/night. Cheaper the better:-)..

sylvia3 Dec 13th, 2010 06:49 AM

Kamaole Sands (nice location, very nice gardens and pool), then immediately south Hale Kamaole (location, and open green lawn-type grounds, then Maui Kamaole (up on a rise, bit more of a walk to the beach), are all in your price range, and are south enough to be out of the main drag of traffic, but close enough to shops and restaurants. They are all across the street from the Kamaole Beach Parks.
On the beach, just a bit farther south, is Mana Kai Maui (but not all condos, and rocky shoreline; little walk to the sand).
Note that if you do go to VRBO, you could probably get places in Wailea for your price range.

sylvia3 Dec 13th, 2010 06:50 AM

p.s. agree with all about Sugar Beach; quite windy at that end, and the water is not as nice (plus there's agricultural drainage water entering the bay there).