Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   7 nights/8 days in Oahu- What activites would you recommend? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/7-nights-8-days-in-oahu-what-activites-would-you-recommend-389301/)

queenofhearts Jan 19th, 2004 01:28 PM

7 nights/8 days in Oahu- What activites would you recommend?

My boyfriend and I are planning our first visit to Hawaii for early August, 2004. We are going to Oahu for 7 nights/8 days. We are staying in Waikiki, but we would definitely like to venture outside of Waikiki to explore the entire island. Neither of us are strong swimmers, so surfing and scuba diving would not be good for us. However, we love hiking, scenic drives, shopping, and historical & cultural exhibits. So far, we have decided to hike Diamond Head, visit the Iolani Palace, and see the Arizona Memorial. Any recommendations for other activities (especially activities that would take us out of Waikiki) would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo nui loa!

kealii Jan 19th, 2004 03:02 PM

A day's visit to the Polynesian Cultural Center, though a bit touristy, is still a worthwhile venture and introduction to the polynesian cultures, food and entertainment. Great evening show! Driving along and exploring the North Shore is worth some time. Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay is a lot of fun - whether or not you consider yourself a strong swimmer- most areas to see the fish are shallow amongst the coral near the beach. It's worth a visit in the morning.

makai1 Jan 19th, 2004 03:38 PM

Aloha queenofhearts,

SO much to do on O'ahu... we loved hiking Kaena Point, watching the surfers, strolling through Chinatown picking up fresh leis and produce...
stopping at Pali lookout... slowly cruising the Windward coast, stopping for fresh shrimp, pineapples, flowers... heading to Haleiwa for shave ice... enjoying long walks on Sunset beach, listening to the waves... tons more!

Pick up Richard Sullivan's Driving & Discovering Hawaii-Oahu-Honolulu & Waikiki... great travel guide w/ awesome photos... indispensible!
www.discoveringhawaii.com

Also, do a search on this forum and you'll find abundant suggestions.

Much aloha!

Pumpy Jan 19th, 2004 04:31 PM

No particular order:
1. Hanauma Bay (great snorkling)
2. Hike up Diamond Head
3. USS Arizona Memorial (a must)
4. Waikiki Beach (of course)
5. North Shore

MelissaHI Jan 19th, 2004 05:15 PM

Also don't forget the Bishop Museum.

One day take a drive up Tantalus/Round Top Drive for the view, stop at the Contemporary Museum for the art....then have lunch there.

When you drive to the North Shore, stop thru Haleiwa Town and check out the Wyland Gallery and any little shops. Have shave ice at Aoki's (I like it better than Matsumoto's). Have lunch at Kua Aina. Or in fact, take your lunch to go and eat it at Waimea Bay!

queenofhearts Jan 19th, 2004 06:28 PM

Aloha kealii, makai1, Pumpy, and MelissaHI! Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions. We will definitely be adding many of your recommendations to our list of activities. So far, we're definitely adding the Polynesian Cultural Center, Bishop Museum, Hanauma Bay, a visit to Chinatown, Pali Lookout, and the Contemporary Museum. We are also planning at least 1 full day to take a leisurely drive to the North Shore and the Windward Coast.

MelissaHI-thank you very much for the recommendation on Aoki's. I can't wait to try shaved ice!

Makai1-I am very interested in hiking Kaena Point. Can you please tell me where this is located?

Should I visit the Arizona with a tour group or on my own? If I go on my own, do I need to make/can I make reservations?

Thank you again to everyone! Any other recommendations/experiences would be appreciated!

makai1 Jan 19th, 2004 07:19 PM

Aloha again, queenofhearts!

Kaena Point can be accessed by trails on both the Leeward and North Shores...there is no thru road for driving, but you can hike from either shore.

The views are beautiful... pretty big surf. It's not at all a strenuous hike... the trail follows a paved level dirt road that was originally the roadbed of the O'ahu Railway.

The round trip from the end of the road at Yokohama Bay to Kaena Point will take about 3 hours. The views from the Point late in the day are wonderful. If you stay until sunset, be sure to bring a flashlight for the hike back.

Bring much, much water! And don't forget your camera. Enjoy.

hmmm Jan 19th, 2004 10:53 PM

Queenofhearts: Re: Arizona Memorial. You cannot make reservations. You arrive and receive a ticket for the movie/launch. You watch the movie and exit to the launch. You visit the memorial for 20 minutes or so and return. Opportunities on both ends to view the museum, and, later, the Bowfin and Missouri if you choose. Go early.

MelissaHI Jan 20th, 2004 12:26 AM

Oooh, I forgot one other thing. On Tuesdays, Hanauma Bay is closed. You <b>could</b> fill the time by taking a tour of Chinatown. My brother leads this tour...see his link at http://hawaii.rr.com/leisure/reviews...matoaichef.htm

(Halfway down, between the 3rd and 4th paragraph, you have an option to email him.)

PakePorkChop Jan 20th, 2004 06:35 AM

The Chinatown tour on Tuesday morning begins at 9:30 at the Chinese Chamber of Commerce, 42 N. King Street, tel. 533-3181, $5 per person.

Another tour is more food-oriented, by the Chinese Culinary Arts Society, $10 per person includes dim sum lunch. email [email protected]

cmeyer54 Jan 20th, 2004 06:57 AM

I strongly recommend that you include the Missouri and Bowfin on your trip to Pearl. They are both wonderful tours and its hard to grasp just how big the Arizona is/was without seeing the Missouri up close and walking around it. 16&quot; guns are HUGE!!! Also - if you have the time, PunchBowl cemetery is really moving - top of a hill overlooking the island. There is also an old palace that is now a government building that is well worth the time. Dinner at La Mer is fantastic, personal and pricey but well worth it.

Sarah Jan 20th, 2004 08:11 AM

Remember that right in Waikiki near the Hilton but on Alamoana blvd you have a branch of the Bishop Museum.

I would also do a search on the internet and look up ancient sites on Oahu. Pakpokchop's idea about a chinatown tour sounds fun. Japanese Cultural center is nearby. This is another great stop off. I really love the Japanese temples all over Oahu. There is one right near or in Chinatown with a giant rope braid at the entrance. I have a picture in front of it but I don't recall exact location. This is a very interesting sight. Another favorite is Byodo temple on the windward side and absolute must if you are going to be on the island for more than two days. Ah you are there in August, you may want to check out a bon dance.

As far as snorkeling, I would head to sharks cover and 3 (?) tables EARLY MORNING (on the North Shore) and skip Hanama bay. There are waits, lines and crowds that I could do without. Do an archive search for more opinions on this.

In terms of the Polynesian Cultural Center. I just think that people need to understand that this is more of a theme park than a sophisticated cultural center. There are better places on the island for Polynesian history and certainly hula. You can get varied opinions on this also with an archive search. Its worth it as you might take an entire day here.

For hikes, my favorite is windward side, lighthouse trail. Go early morning best on a slightly overcast day (cooler)(that goes for most hikes). You will have far less people than on the diamond head trail. The vistas are also more breathtaking as the view sweeps the windward coast, sheer, steep mountain edges against the ocean. AHH? with that its back to work for this day dreamer!

Shanghainese Jan 22nd, 2004 01:49 PM

You can do all kinds of shopping, from the upscale Ala Moana Mall, the very affordable International Marketplace, to the swap meet/flea market at the Aloha Stadium (open Wed, Sat &amp; Sun) a mile from Pearl Harbor. 2 weeks ago we bought 10 T shirts for $20, coconut syrup, sweet &amp; spicy seasoning salts in plastic bottles for under $5 each, and scarf-like short sarongs (I'm wearing one now in the office, black with crimson fishes) for $3.95. Have a great time!

queenofhearts Jan 22nd, 2004 07:36 PM

Thank you again makai1 &amp; MelissaHI! Both the Chinatown tour and the hike to Kaena Point sound like lots of fun! Hmmm, PakePorkChop, cmeyer54, Sarah, and Shanghainese-Thank you to you all for answering my post! WOW! I can't believe there's so much to do on Oahu! I had no idea. I was actually worried that we would get bored spending 8 days on Oahu &amp; I thought about adding another island. I'm definitely scrapping that idea. It looks like we'll have plenty to do! And, we'll visit the other islands in the future.

Sarah-I really like your idea about visiting the Japanese Cultural Center, the temples, and seeing a bon dance. My mother is 1/2 Japanese, and she lived for 7 years as a child in Hawaii on Oahu (Unfortunately, Oahu has changed so much that she's not able to help me too much with travel plans). This is one of the reasons that I am so excited to visit Oahu. My mother told me that I can learn a lot about the Japanese culture in Oahu. Just two weeks ago, I found out that I will be in Oahu during the Obon festival. I've researched this festival on the web, and I learned about the wonderful traditions including the bon dance. Do you know if there are bon dances at the temples? If not, do you have any idea of where I might be able to see these dances or any other parts of the Obon festival? For some reason, I can't seem to find locations for festival events on the internet. Maybe it's too early in the year.

Question for anyone: If we take a leisurely drive around Oahu (stopping at shops that we see along the way, taking photographs, and getting lunch or shaved ice), approximately how long would this take? Should we devote an entire day to this?

Thank you again to everyone! This forum has been an asset to helping me plan my dream vacation to Oahu! Any other suggestions or tips are certainly appreciated!

makai1 Jan 22nd, 2004 07:44 PM

Aloha!

Yes, you'll need a full day for sightseeing the island. Don't make dinner reservations and just see where you end up ;) No worries.

Honestly, you could spend a month on O'ahu, and still not do everything you'd like to. Just pick your favorites, and save the rest for the next trip... you'll be back!

Aloha!

lahainaluna Jan 22nd, 2004 08:43 PM

These are all outstanding suggestions. I think that it takes at least 8 days to explore Oahu. It has a lot to offer and you will want to come back to the islands for more.

Have a great trip!

Sarah Jan 23rd, 2004 07:55 AM

Hi Again queenofhearts,

Most of the bon dances on Oahu are at temples. You can usually find them before hand at the Hawaii visitor?s bureau website. I believe it is www.gohawaii.com and under the calendar option. Don't despair if nothing is listed for August yet. Also in addition to this you want to check out local listings once you get there. I am surprised I can't recall a temple name for you as I usually go in August and I usually hit on temples in Honolulu. BTW the mayor Jeremy Harris usually attends these if he is still the mayor. That website is a good place for all around activities. But of course not in the place of a local newspaper because other activities do pop up.

Can anyone name the location of that Japanese temple near china town that I mentioned in the post, earlier?

Queenofhearts: Have you rented the picture bride yet? That is a great (drama)look at how 10,000 picture brides came from Japan. It is also something Japanese Cultural groups of Hawaii (that includes Japanese Cultural Center) collaborated on.

Completely on a side track, but I can't hep meself. I always think of food when I think of a trip to Oahu. You want to do a dim sum in Chinatown, preferably at Legends Seafood. You might also want to take a evening meal in at Legends. There is another VERY CHEAP place if you get hooked on Dim Sum the way I did. It is called Golden Palace (111 North Street)(808-521-8268) if I am pulling the correct card from my Hawaii file, pretty certain on name.

Also I am not sure if you said where you were coming from. I know LA has very creative sushi establishments. I just have not been able to find them here in NYC. Some restaurants advertise creative but I don't see what they are talking about on the menu. I did see at least one right in Waikiki, it was called Youme.n. It is in front of the Hyatt (808-922-4991) facing Oceanside (no view ). It is marketed for a young crowd, the waitress told me the chef/owner was trying to blend his love of Art and food, so to me it is kind of a Village (NYC)atmosphere. Don't be put off that it is in a a basement. Some interesting takes on Japanese food here. Well you will probably walk by as I did on a evening stroll. Check it out. I usually avoid restaurants in Waikiki because I know so many more outside, this one is good though.

OH, never fails January roles around and I am completely missing HAWAII!!!:(:(:(

MelissaHI Jan 23rd, 2004 08:47 AM

queenofhearts, as you get closer to your trip (July maybe) post a question about bon dances and one of us will post a link to an annual bon dance schedule from the starbulletin.com or honoluluadvertiser.com. Actually, maybe you should just sign up for a free online subscription!

Bon dances also have food booths. The Haleiwa and Manoa ones in particular are supposed to be the best.

As for dim sum....Sarah, how funny! PPC and I were just talking about Golden Palace and the sassy waitresses. That's very Chinese. hahaha. My friends love Seafood Village in the Hyatt Waikiki for dim sum. I think it's pricey for dim sum, but they maintain it's the best.

islandmom Jan 27th, 2004 09:46 PM

When I have friends visit

Day 1 we do the drive around Diamond Head, Makapuu, Waimanalo, then up to the Pali and back. Stopping for swimming, hikes or photos. Drinks and Pupus at the Sheraton Moana Surfrider.

Day 2 - over the Pali around Kaneohe, get Malasadas from the red and white truck at windward mall, galleries and nurseries along the drive, Chinaman's Hat, Laie point, drinks at the Turtle Bay Hilton by the pool and ocean, maybe horseback ride, Sunset beach, dinner and shopping in Haliewa, Dole Plantation on the way back then down around H-1 and back.

Day 3- Bellows if it is a weekend. Or Kailua beach or Lanikai for swimming and kayaking. Then eating and shopping in Kailua. Maui Tacos usually.

Day 4- Snorkel Hanauma Bay explore Waikiki at night.

Day 5- Pearl Harbor and swap meet, Aloha Tower or Ward Center at night.

Day 6- Leeward side sites, Paradise Cove Luau, Ihilani resort and spa

Day 7- Ala Moana beach park, shopping at Ala Moana, Pyramids for Greek Food and Bellydancing, top of Ala Moana Hotel for dancing.

Day 8- Breakfast at Dukes, Manoa Falls Hike

PakePorkChop Jan 27th, 2004 10:31 PM

The name of the Shinto shrine in Chinatown is Izumo Taishakyo Mission.