Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

7 Hr Layover in Newark - ideas for a quick jaunt to NYC?

Old May 20th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be arriving in Newark at 11am on a Sunday en route to San Diego. I have been to NYC before but thought I'd make good use of a 7-hour layover and take a quick trip into NYC instead of aimless walking at the airport and unavoidable eavesdropping on people's phone calls (why does everyone have a loud phone voice at airports?). I plan to take the train from the airport into Penn Station. Any ideas? What would you do with 3-4 hours in NYC?

Lunch comes to mind. Perhaps a quick bite and a peek at a museum or taking a leisurely lunch and people-watching? Any suggestions for lunch/brunch (max $30) and a neighborhood to spend a Sunday afternoon?
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:39 AM

If this is in summer, I'd recommend spending a few hours in Central Park, followed by lunch on the Upper West Side. No particular restaurant recommendations, but I'm sure others will chime in. Anyway, that's what I'd do.
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:24 AM

Be sure to allow enough time to go back through security. We have been in that airport with incredible long lines.
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:50 AM

Considering the need to return to EWR an hour minimum before your SAN departure and the fact that NJTransit rail service is less frequent on weekends than on weekdays, three hours is a more logical guesstimate for your NYC visit. Weather permitting, I agree that Central Park would be a worthwhile destination.

You might want to have lunch at Nougatine, Jean Georges Vongerichten's restaurant adjoining his namesake flagship on the ground floor of the Trump International Hotel at Columbus Circle. It's across the street from the park and a quick subway ride from Penn Station.

Nougatine's prix-fixe menus are among NYC's greatest dining bargains, and you can't beat the food, ambiance and service. Lunch--two plates plus dessert--is served from noon to 3 on Sundays and costs $26. You may be able to sit outside on the terrace. A reservation is necessary.
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful - now I have two great options! Central Park is my favorite spot in all of NYC -- I've only been there in the winter so it'd be nice to lay out with a nice picnic and a book.

OR

Nougatine sounds perfect - my only reservation is the reservation requirement. I'll check out their cancellation policy. It will just be me so, is there any way possible to seat me as a walk-in? Eat at the bar, maybe?

I will definitely make sure that I have more than enough cushion to make my flight. Barring any flight delays, etc., sounds like I'll have a short but sweet time in NYC! Thank you so much!
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:26 PM

They are very accommodating at Nougatine. Why not give them a call (212-299-3900) and let them know of your plans? More than likely, they'll be very understanding of the uncertainly of timing you face.

Their bar is a perfect place to have lunch (although, as I mentioned, you may want to dine outdoors). Beware of the munchies, however--herbed popcorn, wasabi peanuts and candied almonds. They are addictive.

Incidentally, if the weather is not cooperative and you cannot stroll in Central Park, you can go across Columbus Circle to the Time Warner Center, where there are lots of window-shopping opportunities. Two large Botero sculptures that dominate the ground floor can substitute for any museum-going you might have to pass up.