7-hour Ni'ihau snorkel adventure?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Kauai in 32 days. Has anyone been on the Ni'ihau snorkel trip? Do you travel the entire length of the Napali coast before heading to the forbidden island? How much time is spent snorkeling, and how is the quality of snorkeling? The blue book states $156/person which seems like a fair price. Any information would be appreciated.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 06:05 PM

We did the trip with Holoholo Charters out of Port Allen a few weeks ago. It is fun, the crew very friendly and they talk with everyone. A continental breakfast is served, cakes, bagels, fruit, coffee, juices and for lunch, coldcuts, rolls and a couple salads. They do not travel the entire length of NaPali but go very close to shore at picturesque areas where you can see waterfalls, caves, etc. The water at Ni'ihau is a deep blue and very clear. We did see monk seals and a large variety of fish especially where it dropped off 200 feet. A word of warning, snorkeling could be intimidating for people new to snorkeling. It's pretty deep water with slight currents. The crew is great with helping and watching everyone. A few of them stay in the water the whole time on surfboards and will let you know if you're venturing out too far. Also, the boat trip is pretty rough in certain areas....part of the way to NaPali and for about 30 minutes on the return from Ni'ihau. If you are prone to seasickness I probably wouldn't bother. We went on a "calm day" which we thought was pretty rough and we've been on quite a few boat trips. I can't imagine a rough day. You might want to check the marine forecast before going.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 11:03 AM

I went on this last summer and loved the snorkeling and the views of NaPali. The morning and out time in Nihau was calm and lovely. The ride back was LONG and very rough. Several of us got sick and it was quite unpleasant. Holoholo is a great operation and I can reccomend them.
-Bill
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Is it safe to bring a 35mm camera or do you tend to get wet from the rough ride?
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 05:16 PM

The catamaran has an enclosed cabin with a sitting area that protects you from the spray. The camera was stowed away by the time we hit the rough seas.
Are you going? Have a great time snorkeling.
-Bill
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we are going. We have the Snorkel planned for halloween. Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:03 PM

Snorkel activity, or any swimming there is pretty exposed. I recently read an account of an experienced diver & strong swimmer who had a very unpleasant experience there with an unexpected current. Never forget you're swimming around pimples over 2000 miles from anywhere ! I know I'm very very cautious in Hawaii.
Holoholo is a great operation and they have a big covered cabin (power cat)to shield cameras etc. Have a great trip.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Is there an article on the web I can read? I've heard that the Charter people are in the water on surf boards while the clients are snorkeling.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 05:29 AM

There were several first time snorkelers on our trip and the Holoholo people went out of their way to help them. There were two guys on boards floating around the area and the remaining guys on the boat kept an eye out on us. There was one spot that was much shallower than the rest of the spot which offered the less comfortable snorkelers a spot to hang that wasn't nearly as deep. You could use the "floaty things" if you wanted too as well.
-Bill
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 10:41 AM

We went on the snorkle trip a couple of summers ago and yes be wary if you are prone or possibly prone to seasickness or motion sickness.

Everyone was having a great time on the boat, grilling out etc. and here was my entire family in the throes of various stages of getting really sick.

I think it actually was a fairly calm day too! Of course, how we would know being from Iowa. The Missouri River is mighty calm compared to the Pacific.