Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

7 Foodies and 1 picky eater seeking SF food choices

Old May 31st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a small group from Texas meeting in San Francisco in July. We'll be in the Union Square and Financial District and relying on public transportation. 7 of us are adventurous eaters who love good food and wine, but we also want to accommodate our non-foodie member who likes basic food and recently moved beyond putting ice in her white wine. We've all been to SF before but want to try some new places. After a little research, my list of possibilities includes La Folie, La Boulange de Cole, Manresa, Chez Panisse, Canteen, Perbacco, and Brenda's French Soul Food. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
Two places I really enjoyed on the last visit were the Slanted Door and Boulevard (in and near the Ferry Building)
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:49 PM

All good suggestions. Chez Panisse is in Berkeley, so you'd have to drive or take Bart over to the East Bay. Well worth the trip. Boulange de Cole is part of a small chain of excellent french cafes, but you don't have to go to Cole Valley. There's one in North Beach (the Italian neighborhood); another is on Union Street and a third is on Polk Street (www.baybread.com). They're usually open until 2 or 3pm.

You might want to try The Slanted Door (viet namese/fusion)now located in the Ferry Building (www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com)- which should be on your destination list if you're a foodie. (Home of the largest farmers market in the area on Saturday mornings).
Aqua (www.aqua-sf.com)is an outstanding restaurant - right next to Perbacco. Boulevard is outstanding and my personal favorite. If there are any vegetarians among you (even if you're not) Greens Restaurant, located at Ft. Mason with a view of the Bay is fabulous. Gary Danko is very expensive and very good (I hear). There are lots of good restaurants in the Mission including Delfina and Foreign Cinema. Oh, and if you like Indian, try Dosa (which has a beautiful new space in Japan Town). I could go on and on - there are so many great restaurants in S.F.
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:50 PM

My very favorite restaurant in SF is Gary Danko. I'm sure you can find a menu online to see if it would suit your friend.
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:55 PM

Gary Danko, Slanted Door, Boulevard, Buena Vista for Irish Coffee's and Taylor's Refresher for ahi burgers..
Scoma's for lunch prix fixe and Tadich Grill..
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

I love the chippino at Tadich Grill! It's been a while, but I can't imagine it has changed since then, so old school. Still, good sourdough and a basic seafood dish for lunch works for me.

I'm hearing lots of good things about the Slanted Door! Need to check out Gary Danko since it's turned up twice in five minutes here.

What's your opinion of Dottie's? Worth the wait or not?
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:00 PM

Since you are in Union Square, you are close to Michael Mina, which is in the Westin St. Francis, and is a Michelin 2 star restaurant.

http://www.michaelmina.net/mm/

The $55 three course pre-theatre menu looks good and fairly affordable for the quality. http://www.michaelmina.net/mm/pdf/Pr...AEL%20MINA.pdf

We had a great birthday dinner there, and we all felt like judges on Top Chef with the tasting menu. The quality is excellent; the presentation unique; the flavors complex; and the service friendly and professional.

http://www.michaelmina.net/mm/pdf/Pr...ixe%20Menu.pdf
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM

Worth a mention...I recently enjoyed the Plumpjack Cafe in the Marina/Cow Hollow area. It is currently closed for renovations, but may reopen in advance of your trip.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM

I think I read in the Chronicle that Plumplack's is permanently closed.

Isn't Manresa in Los Gatos???

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 02:27 PM

Yes, Manresa is in Los Gatos.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 02:28 PM

Stu's correct. Manresa is in Los Gatos and you'll definitely need a car for it.

I'm not much for Slanted Door. It's kinda foo-foo Asian food for me.

Otherwise, go with just about anything Stu or any of the other locals would recommend. They're all foodie experts!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM

Zuni cafe on 1658 Market is really good and should work for all of you. Their roasted chicken bread salad is a must do
http://www.restaurantlulu.com/

Restaurant Lulu on 816 Folsom was really good and should work for all of you. It is near Museum, so it is convenient if you are headed there. Their skillet mussels are to die for and I hate mussels! There is a branch at Ferry Building, the duck rilette sandwich is killer. http://www.restaurantlulu.com/

Chez Panisse is #1 in my book, Tadich is #2.

{skip Fisherman's Wharf}

Go to E Tutto Qua, 270 Columbus in North Beach for great Italian http://www.etuttoqua.com/

Deb
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM
SAB

Some of my favorites that have not been mentioned: Quince, SPQR, Coi, Bar Crudo, NOPA, and Incanto.

BTW Boulange de Cole stays open until 7pm and if you decide to visit Cole Valley on a sunny late afternoon, say Hi to the people with dogs sitting on the steps next door--one of them might be a fodorite who spends too much time there visiting with neighbors!!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your thoughtful responses. yk posted the 100 things to eat in SF before you die thread for me in the lounge, too. I'll be busy looking at menus (and MAPS!) online for a while. I know we will only have time to enjoy a few of the many good SF restaurants on this trip, but we always plan to come back.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 07:27 PM

My advice - better to rely on the people on this forum than on that list (some of which is downright odd).
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 11:52 PM

I just ate at Nopa this pm. It is LOUD! The food choices afford foodies and non-foodies some choices. I don't know that it would be at the top of my list of places I must eat in SF.I thought the food was good not great. For your needs, I do think the ZUNI is a great choice. Chez Panisse is a good choice but you will have to take BART. Take it to downtown Berkeley. There is a cab stand just outside the BART station and you will be in close proximity to "The Chez" meaning it will not be an expensive cab ride. I'd opt for the cafe over the downstairs unless you are going to be there on a Monday night when prices are lower downstairs.Make reservations. You can also go for lunch and snoop around Berkeley's Gourmet Ghetto. A stop at The Cheeseboard and Masse's Pastries is a must. Take the stuff back to your rooms and enjoy! The olives and cheese choices at Cheeseboard will blow any foodie's mind!
There is also a place called Vintage Wines (I think that's the name) in the old PG&E substation on Vine. It's just a block or so from Chez Panisse. You can get great wines there.
All of the places I have mentioned are on "groovy food & wine tours"...meaning you will be happy.

I continue to be a big fan of Quince.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 11:54 PM

If you want to explore The Cheeseboard do not go on a Monday or a Sunday. They are closed.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:27 AM

I too was underwhelmed with NOPA and love Quince.

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

sf7307- it was NOT the list of 100 SF foods, but the thread on the forum commenting on it that I was interested in. There was lots of information there. I trust SF Fodorites for good advice and appreciate all your help!

PamSF- Thanks for travel directions to Chez Panisse. And your timing advice.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:11 PM

The problem with Chez Panisse is that they serve only one meal per night. So, you’d want to check out the menu to make sure everyone likes what is being served. Plus, I think both the restaurant and the café are way over rated.

Gary Danko. Also, Delfina is good. Amber India is wonderful (but, your friend might not like Indian food.). Ame (at the St. Regis) has been fabulous in the past. I would go to Greens or Zuni for lunch (yes, love the chicken). Cliff House might be good as George Morrone is now the chef there.

Breakfast – orange morning buns at Tartine’s (but there is always a wait).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information