Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   7 days in hawaii (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/7-days-in-hawaii-248336/)

tata Aug 10th, 2002 01:26 PM

7 days in hawaii

Leaving for oahu next week-should we go ahead and get rental car before we get there?<BR>we also want to go to the polynesia culture center,should we go ahead and book this before we go?

deb Aug 10th, 2002 03:02 PM

If you want to get anywhere out of Waikiki (which I'm assuming is where you're staying), which I strongly suggest, then yes, it would be a wise idea to rent a car in advance. Then you can pick the best deal and rate and car type in advance.<BR><BR>I can't comment on the PCC since we avoided it like the plague while we were there.<BR><BR>Have a great trip--you'll love it!

Postal Aug 10th, 2002 04:02 PM

Absolutely book the car before you go! And personally, I don't think the PCC is worth a visit!

tata Aug 10th, 2002 04:14 PM

what rental car is the best in oahu?<BR>and why not pcc? help<BR>

Deb Aug 10th, 2002 05:15 PM

As far as rental cars, they're all the same.<BR><BR>Most major companies are there. I'd go to orbtiz.com or travelocity.com or expedia.com or the travel site of your choice and see what's cheapest.<BR><BR>You don't need an SUV as all roads are paved. We had fun with our Mustang convertible but stuck out like sore thumbs---TOURISTS!!!<BR><BR>I HIGHLY recommend taking a day (or two) to drive around the whole island. The scenery is breathtaking and you get to see what Hawaii is REALLY like.<BR>

tata Aug 10th, 2002 05:37 PM

thanks deb for the help

mary Aug 10th, 2002 05:49 PM

Yes, go to Orbitz now and compare all the prices and different types of cars available. A few of the companies that will be displayed are located tad off the airport property, but not too inconvenient as shuttles serve them all. <BR><BR>If you go to the PCC, do it in your own car as opposed to a tour bus so you are not trapped, LOL.

cece Aug 10th, 2002 08:33 PM

PCC is supposed to be tacky, but if you want to go there is no problem getting in when you get there.<BR><BR>I would suggest going to the Bishop Museum instead.

diane Aug 10th, 2002 10:51 PM

We rented from Alamo three times (on three different islands). We got good rates on mid-size cars and never had any trouble with the cars. I had read on this site about some people having LONG waits to pick up their cars, but that never happened to us. When we returned our car in Honolulu, I noticed there was a very long line of people waiting to get a car, but the other two times (on Kauai and the Big Island) there were no long lines. Perhaps we were just lucky. Gas is a bit more expensive than on the mainland (varies from state to state), the most expensive being in Kona, $1.98 a gallon, but the islands are small enough that price isn't a big factor.<BR><BR>I do not understand the negatives you are hearing about the Polynesian Cultural Center. We loved our afternoon there, especially the show, which I though was fabulous! It was fast-paced, with very little commentary, with one group of 12 to 30 dancers performing and then another large group running out immediately. They do a good job of serving lots of people quickly, decent food, not great. We opted for the $69. per person Ali'i Luau rather than the slightly cheaper buffet largely because that price also gave us better seats for the show. We made reservations before we left home via an 800 number that we got off their website. The night we were there, the large show facility seemed to be 80-90% full, but I understand that sometimes they do sell out. A lot of people must like them! <BR><BR>They have two IMAX shows. We only had time to see one, not the dolphin one but the other that had a kind of generic title like Life in the Sea. It was great. We were sorry we didn't get there until 2 p.m. and didn't have time to see all the "villages" and demonstrations. The PCC is great for kids; I saw them (the children) practicing throwing spears, learning to spin the poi balls, etc. Put the name (PCC) in the text search above and you can see a lot of other opinions.<BR><BR>BTW, Cece, we DID go to the Bishop Museum. I enjoyed that too, but the PCC was a more memorable visit.

bob Aug 11th, 2002 05:33 AM

Don't miss the polynesia culture center. The posters here who avoided it missed out on one of the best and most memorable experiences of the island.<BR><BR>I took my family there earlier this summer and booked after arriving. However, we almost couldn't go the day we wanted. There were only a few seats left at the night show and they ran a double luau the day we were there to accommodate all of the luau guests. They are closed on Sundays so Saturdays and Mondays are busy. If you want to go Tuesday through Friday you should be O.K. Have fun. We did. It is a long day but was one of the best on our vacation.

tata Aug 11th, 2002 06:54 AM

thanks for all your help-went online last night and got car rental for two days. i think we will go to pcc on our own.<BR>

jen Aug 12th, 2002 08:07 AM

I liked the man at the PCC who started fire with a coconut husk. I don't remember which village.<BR><BR>There is a small handicraft shop by the place where they play the Tongan drums where you can make terrific buys on baskets and necklaces.

x Aug 12th, 2002 08:47 AM

Deb, no matter what you drive you'll look like a tourist in Hawaii, most people there are tourists. What's the problem? Driving a convertible is the perfect way to see Hawaii.

local Aug 12th, 2002 08:57 AM

A convertible is fine if the weather is fine. The reason Deb said she stuck out is because none of the locals own convertibles due to the rain being unpredictable. The locals get a chuckle out of the tourists who rent convertibles and either get soaked or are frantically looking for a place on the side of the road to pull over to put the top up.

Simone Aug 12th, 2002 09:15 AM

Book your PCC tickets in advance if you want to go on a Saturday night. We just returned home to Oregon. Their Pacific Theater night show was sold out last Saturday, August 9th, so we went Friday night instead. They have a website where you can see seating still available. It shows your view of the stage from different sections. We enjoyed the night show a lot and wish we had gone to the PCC earlier in the afternoon to see more of the villages. Jen, the man who starts fires with coconut fibers is in the Samoan section.

deb Aug 12th, 2002 09:17 AM

Thankfully for us, it didn't rain while we were out driving with the top down. We were smart enough to put it up (or not put it down) when it was cloudy.<BR><BR>But x is right, a convertible IS a great way to see the island. Just make sure to take turns driving so you both get a chance to see!<BR><BR>And by the way, we didn't care that our convertible made us look like tourists. You're right, the place is full of tourists and we were having blast!<BR><BR>One more tip for one of my favorite things to do on Oahu--cocktails at sunset at House Without a Key at the Halekulani. Great laid back atmosphere, strong drinks, and Hawaiian music with a hula dancer. It's the best!

mary Aug 12th, 2002 09:47 AM

Sometimes the rental car counters are mobbed, sometimes they are empty. It's a crapshoot and also depends on the time of day. Lots of mainland flights arrive around 11-1PM and it can get busy.<BR><BR>For example, last week I booked a car for one day via Orbitz with Dollar. When I got to Dollar I estimated that the line would take about 90 minutes, it just plain wasnt moving. It was hot and I didnt want to wait in the sun, especially for just a 24 hour rental. The Budget counter was empty, so I went there and picked up a car for $10 more (a better car than I had reserved at Dollar.) <BR><BR>Yes, the PCC is one of those either "love it or hate it" things. <BR>I am of the "hate it" variety, LOL. I'd much prefer to sit at House Without A Key with a mai tai and listen to beautiful music in a relaxed atmosphere.<BR>(Remember: no mai tais at the PCC!)

Joe Aug 13th, 2002 11:07 AM

You need a car for sure. Book in advance. that way you are sure to get a car. We were just there in July and enjoyed O'ahu. The Arizona Memorial is the must see thing to do. As far as the PCC goes, we opted out, it does not really express the true hawaiian culture from an historical perspective. I've seen a student Hula class in Hale'iwa that demonstrated the different Hulas that went way beyond anything i could have gotten from a Luau.. IMHO

dy Aug 13th, 2002 12:38 PM

we just came back from 2 weeks on oahu and maui. This is my 6th time. Every time the experience is different (age and kids make the same activities seem different.)Went to the PCC when I was in college and loved it (1st hawaiian trip) It gives a good overview of polynesian cultures - some is hokey, but that's ok - it's very informative especially for the 1st time visitor to the islands. Don't feel a need to go back again since the kids have also now seen it. Go in the morning so you have time and perhaps drive back to waikiki for dinner. Dinner is not great at the PCC (banquet food).<BR>Take surf lessons - all over waikiki - the guys in front of the outrigger were terrific - ask for Matt.<BR>The Atlantis submarine trip is great according to my husband and teens (by the Hilton Hawaiian Village dock.<BR>If you go to the Ala Moana Mall the restaurant in Neiman Marcus is wonderful. Seating outside on a wide wnd floor veranda overlooking the park and yacht club- gorgeous dining room inside,too.

Karen Aug 13th, 2002 07:48 PM

Hokey is a good word for the PCC but that is not really a bad thing. It has the feel of a bunch of kids putting on a show but you can actually learn something about the different peoples of the Pacific. If you are 18 it will be a "drag" but if you go with that in mind, it could be a good experience. <BR><BR>Hey, get that convertible! OK, so it rains. Pull over and put the top up or forget it and just get soaked. You are in Hawaii for crying out loud, have fun! The lines at car rental counters seem to be caused by the midday interisland flights. If you get there before 10am and after 4pm you should be fine. If you find yourself in line just pull out your book, you should always have a good summer vacation book, and lose yourself in that story. If you have to stand in line without a book, what better place than in Hawaii? Talk to the person in line with you and you may be surprised at what you have in common. They may have just left an island you will visit. Worst case, smile, relax and visualize the beach you will be on in just a short time.