Reload this Page >

60 yrs w /cane going alone to Hawaii or Caribbean

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 1997, 08:24 PM
Alex Stewart

Our friend is wanting to send her 60 yr old mother to Hawaii or the Caribbean for one week. She would be travelling alone and has polio. She uses a cane and occasionally a wheelchair. She would like to go somewhere there are other seniors.

We'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Alex

Old May 30th, 1997, 05:47 AM
l & j willett

Check w/a travel agent for a senior tour or contact groups who specialize w/disabilities. I took my mother at 65 w/cane to NYC & found airlines most cooperative w/wheelchair & electric cart. Hawaii would be wonderful -- no need for expensive beach resort really. Good luck.

Old Jun 3rd, 1997, 12:56 PM
Robin Singer

Highly recommend Hawaii over the Caribbean-- my grandparents were reluctant to make that long trip not being too fond of the beach and after going-- they went again! It's worth it-- a place you wouldn't want to miss in your lifetime. Kauai is the most relaxing, but as far as being around other elderly people, contacting a travel agent is an excellent idea. I met some older people in Hanalei (Kauai) that have been going every year for thirty years or something like that. They were attending a local authentic luau where they knew lots of other regulars!

Old Jul 20th, 1997, 05:35 PM
Mike

I recently returned from a trip to the Caribbean. While I found it to absolutely beautiful, I would not recommend it to someone who needs a wheelchair or a cane. Much of what goes on on the islands(St.Maarten, St.Barth's, and Anguilla) is by foot. There are some wonderful things to see if you are able to walk a good distance.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:13 PM
CB

Alex, I'm 30-something with cane/&wheelchair (MS). Want to send me with her?????