Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   6 nights Oahu, 6 nights Hawaii, 8 nights Maui...Does this sound about right? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/6-nights-oahu-6-nights-hawaii-8-nights-maui-does-this-sound-about-right-272129/)

Kate Nov 10th, 2002 06:11 AM

6 nights Oahu, 6 nights Hawaii, 8 nights Maui...Does this sound about right?

My husband and I are going to Hawaii for three week in Jan. Our original thought was one week on three islands, but have modified it slightly. If you have any opinions or suggestions we would appreciate it.<BR>Thanks, Kate

Nova Nov 10th, 2002 06:22 AM

Nobody can tell you if this is &quot;about right&quot; for you, although I am sure many will try. They will tell you to do two less night on one island and one more on another. And many will tell you not to miss Kauai. there is no &quot;right&quot; amount of time to spend on any one island. However, I can tell you that what you have planned would be a dream vacation for most people. Just go for it !

Kate Nov 10th, 2002 07:47 AM

One other question I have is about Maui. We are thinking of splitting the 8 nights up. Four in Lahaina and four in Wailea. Does this sound too hectic or just right? Thanks for your opinions.<BR><BR>Kate

Duane Nov 10th, 2002 09:41 AM

Like Nova said, no one can tell you what is right for you. I would read guide books on each island and decide what types of things you are looking to do and what type of atmosphere you want.<BR><BR>That said, I too am planning a trip next May. It will be 5 nights in Honolulu, 5 on Kauai, and 6 on Maui. I never originally planned to go to Honolulu, but because of the ability to use FF miles for the plane tickets, I am changing the plan and including 3 islands. <BR><BR>I was originally going to spend the entire trip on Maui splitting it up between Kaanapali, Wailea, and possibly another secluded location. Now with just six nights, I will probably just split between Kaanapali and Wailea. They are two very distinct areas of the island that will give you bigger taste of the island... so I would say go for it (especially since I am doing the same in just 6 nights).<BR><BR>Hope this helps... enjoy your trip.

Lauren Nov 10th, 2002 10:03 AM

That sounds like a wonderful trip! We stayed on Kauai for 6 nights and Maui for 7 last summer. Since you want to see the whole island of Maui, I think that would be a great idea. Alot of hotels give you the sixth or fifth night free. We got our sixth night free in Kauai and our 5th night free in Maui. Even after being in Hawaii for 13 days, we never ran out of things to do. We loved it, and we can't wait to go back! Have a great trip! I think that is whale season. I would love to see that!

Nova Nov 10th, 2002 10:59 AM

Kate, you said that in Maui you are going to split your time between Lahaina and Wailea. I hope you meant Kaanapali and not the town of Lahaina. You don't want to stay in town. Kaanapal Beach is omly three miles from Lahaina.

dcp Nov 10th, 2002 11:48 AM

Too many nights on Oahu (IMHO). I'd suggest 3-4 nights max on Oahu and spend a couple extra nights on the Big Island. You can do a lot of driving and traveling on the big island and will appreciate the extra couple of nights. You might consider spending 1 or 2 of those nights near the Volcano. It's a long days drive from Kona to the Volcano and back.

Marsha Nov 10th, 2002 12:15 PM

I agree with dcp: six nights on Oahu is too much. 2-3 nights is adequate. Although my favorite island is Kauai, I would spend the extra time on the Big Island. I like the idea of spending one or two nights in Volcano or Hilo. Hilo is quite different than Kona.

Lori Nov 10th, 2002 01:32 PM

As others have said no one can say what is right for you and you do not mention a budget. I love Maui and 8 days is perfect, save it for the end. you may want to spend a day or two on Lanai as a change of pace but I have not been. I like Kanapaali and we always get deals at the Hyatt which is why we go. If money were no object I would stay in a suite at the Grand Wailea or Four Seasons (depends if you want quiet, Seasons, or not GW). I personally think its silly to switch hotels halfway through since these places are 45 minutes from each other and its a nice drive. Wailea is nicer but there really is more to do in Kanapali. We have stayed in both. If you want a bargain in Wailea, Stouffers is usually pretty reasonable.<BR><BR>We did not care for the big island. Its interesting, its worth seeing, but we thought 4 nights was more than enough. I loved Kauai and if Captain Andy is till running his sailboats its worth taking a trip. I think 5 nights is more than enough for Kauai.<BR><BR>As for Oahu, if you are only staying in Waikiki anything over 3 niths is too much, although there are other part so the island that are nice although I ahve not stayed anywhere but Waikiki. I stayed at the Royal Hawaiian which is nice. A friend stayed at the Halekalani and said it was great. Warning, if you are coming from the east coast you will need a day to recover at your first port so factor that in<BR><BR>Enjoy

Loni Nov 10th, 2002 06:12 PM

Kate, We have been to the islands 3 times in the last 8 months. The first 2x were on Maui. The last time was Oahu---very crowded and somewhat dirty. We stayed right on Waikiki, however spend most of our time away from there. Must do on Oahu, Polyn.Cult.Center. pay the extra money and do the VIP Tour. We went snorkeling in the &quot;Bay&quot; and were fortunate enought to see turles. <BR>If I had gone to this island first, I do not think that I would have had a desire to return. However Maui is another story, planning a return trip there in addition to Kauai. Good Luck Aloha

kt Nov 10th, 2002 06:31 PM

Kate,<BR><BR>I liked splitting my trip between Lahaina and Wailea; Lahaina was a good base for exploring West Maui. 4 nights, though, could be a bit much in Lahaina if you are not planning on venturing beyond the town. <BR><BR>If you do stay at the Lahaina Inn, be aware that most rooms are really small. If you have alot of stuff you might want to reserve one of the larger rooms.

Kate Nov 10th, 2002 07:04 PM

Thank you so much for your input. It is really helpful when trying to make final decisions. It is our first time to Hawaii. I did mean that we would try to stay in part in Kaanapali. I just wasn't sure the difference between Lahaina or Kaanapali, since we haven't been there before. If we do split up Maui in this way would we need a car in either spot? Thanks so much for your help.<BR>Kate

Lori Nov 10th, 2002 07:50 PM

You need a car everywhere but Oahu and even on Oahu if you venture outside of Honalulu unless you do a bus tour. As for the Polynesian Cultural Center which is actually owned by the Mormons, we felt very trapped there when we took a bus tour. 3 hours is plenty and we were stuck there about 6 or so<BR><BR>As I said before I honestly would not bother splitting Maui since you drive anyway. If you decide to do 10 days in Maui then it may be worth splitting

p. Nov 10th, 2002 08:01 PM

My Hawaii experience is with Maui &amp; Kauai, Oahu experience is HNL only.<BR>After our last trip to Maui in May we talked about splitting time between west Maui &amp; Wailea, start in the west where it's more active (which isn't to say beaches are lacking, far from it) and then drop down south for a more beach/chill out atmosphere. Take a whale watch cruise with Pacific Whale Foundation by the aquarium in Maleea.<BR>Can't believe you're skipping Kauai !<BR>Have a wonderful trip.

Kate Nov 11th, 2002 07:22 AM

We are now wondering if it would be best to do 4 nights on Oahu, 4 nights on Hawaii, 4 nights Kaui, then end on 8 in Maui. We just dont want to feel rushed by all the island hops and hotel check ins. Really that is our only concern. If anyone has opinions on this itinerary vs the first idea please share with us your thoughts. Thanks again for your tips.<BR>Kate

Marilyn Nov 11th, 2002 07:41 AM

Kate, You definitely need a car for your entire visit to Hawaii, no matter which island. On Maui you should watch TV channel 7 to assist in planning your trip. You should include an all day trip to the top of Mt. Haleakala and to Kula and Ulupalakua Ranch Country to visit the winery and see UpCountry. You might include a visit to Paia and Makawao for shopping; Hookipa for viewing wind surfing; visit a protea farm and an orchid nursery; visit the Maui Arts and Cultural Center for a performing arts show and the Schaeffer Gallery; don't miss the whale museum at Whaler's Village, Kaanapali; visit the Maui Tropical Plantation; the drive to Hana and around Mt. Haleakala is an ALL DAY trip and is exhausting with 650 curves and 55 bridges. I only make that trip when we can spend the night at Hana. Enjoy Maui. You will love it. We came on vacation 10 years ago, bought a house on the spot, left a lifetime of family and friends in the northwest, and never looked back. Maui no ka oi.

Maria Nov 11th, 2002 07:48 AM

Hello!!<BR>We just came back from Hawaii.I think that 8 days in Lahanina are too much, maybe in Wailea it´s better because you have more relax and resorts. Any way you can spend a day going to Hana and other day to Halekala. <BR>Oahu &amp; Maui are great places, no matter what you do or where you stay...good luck!

x Nov 11th, 2002 10:58 AM

Kate, I recommed more than 4 days in the BI. As mentioned by the other posters, this island requires a lot of driving time and, if you don't want to feel rushed, you might want to spend your time here.

x Nov 11th, 2002 10:59 AM

I meant to say spend MORE time here.

Sarah Nov 15th, 2002 05:24 AM

Hi Kate it is what you like.<BR><BR>I hate island hopping but I understand the temptation. My suggestion would be two weeks big island one week Maui. <BR><BR>I think the hassle of getting your bearings is not worth seeing a third island. Maui is small enough for one week.There are loads of cultural events and restaurants to sample on Oahu. I like the idea of exploring the interiors of one place rather than embarking on a world wind tour. But I love Hawaii and I feel bad for people that can only name snorkle spots and well known restaurants upon returning. Feel worse for the people who only see the volcano flow during the daylight or don't star gaze on Mauna Kea.<BR><BR>On the Big Island you have <BR><BR>Mauna Kea, Volcano National Park, City of Refuge, Rain Forest, Parker Ranch, Kohala Coast, Hamakua Coast, Waipio Valley and those are just spots off the top of my head. A shame to miss any of these. I think you need time on both the Kona and Hilo sides with possibly a night or two in the Waipio Valley.<BR><BR><BR>What you see when you go is there are many people who spend two hours on one beach and then head to the next beach. I can't imagine that is relaxing but that is what a limitted time on any one island does for your schedule. Maybe that would work for you seems to for others. Just not for everyone.