6 hr layover at LAX

Apr 10th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

6 hr layover at LAX

Hello!
I have some friends who will be landing at LAX this Friday at 6pm and have a 6 hr layover until their flight to Portland. I plan to meet them but I have no idea where to take them. I live in a Glendale but I NEVER venture into LA for "things to do."
I know that LA traffic is awful and Friday's are the worst but they have never been to LA and would love to see something if they can.

So I am looking for suggestions, is there some cool place I can take them that maybe wouldn't take all night to get there and back to the airport? I'm assuming at trying to get to the airport around 11pm wouldn't be that bad but since I am not familiar I could be way off.

Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks so much in advance
Apr 10th, 2017, 10:12 AM

I have no idea what traffic would be like at that hour on a Friday but this is what I recently did in a similar situation:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...what-to-do.cfm
Apr 10th, 2017, 10:17 AM

As DebitNM did, head to Manhattan Beach. Very easy and traffic won't be an issue. (It WILL be an issue for you to get to LAX.)
Apr 10th, 2017, 10:19 AM

well, with that short time frame, the things you could see are not typically LA IMO, you can't go into the center or Hollywood or BH or whatever they are thinking of as LA. I'm not really sure about sightseeing at night, either, you can't go up into the mountains to get a good city view with lights, it's too far.

I suppose you can just drive up the coast a bit to Santa Monica and walk around the pier area.
Apr 10th, 2017, 10:52 AM

Friday during rush hour is probably the worst of all possible times to try to get out of the airport, but our LA offices are just south of the airport in El Segundo, and provided you could get a reservation, maybe take them to dinner in Manhattan Beach. There would be a lot of traffic, but you can get there on city streets. If you're lucky, you'll get to the beach before the sun sets.
Apr 10th, 2017, 11:53 AM

I agree,take them to Manhattan Beach but for their onward flight you should have them back at the airport by 10am. Is their luggage checked through to Portland or do they have to bring it with them?
Apr 10th, 2017, 12:03 PM

Santa Monica would be awful traffic-wise.

I agree, Manhattan Beach would be much better
Apr 10th, 2017, 12:42 PM

"LAX this Friday at 6pm and have a 6 hr layover until their flight to Portland"

They have a midnight flight to Portland?
Apr 10th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the responses! Sounds like Manhattan Beach is the best option.
Thankfully they are. It being picky about trying to do something specific like touring Hollywood for example. They don't know what's nearby the airport or how long it takes to get everywhere let alone in traffic so they more just would rather not be stuck in the airport for 6 hours.
DebitNM thank you for the link! And I'm assuming that's the flight they have to Portland based on what they told me (arrival time and layover time) our communication is a bit limited since they are currently traveling
Gardyloo ya traffic for me I know will be terrible, the things we do for friends right? lol
Jamie99 not sure of their luggage situation but I'm hopeful for their sake that it is checked thru to Portland otherwise it wilould really shorten them time to do anything.

I appreciate the information and suggestions so much! Thank you!
Apr 10th, 2017, 01:22 PM

This Friday is Good Friday. I suggest you give yourself lots of time to reach LAX, both when you pick them up and when you take them back. Holiday traffic into/out of LAX can be a bear.

I live in Manhattan Beach and strongly urge you to make a restaurant reservation. I'm not sure how Good Friday will impact restaurants, but Friday nights are usually extremely popular. If you can tell me what sort of food and/or budget, I can make a few suggestions.
Apr 10th, 2017, 01:31 PM

Highly recommend Zinc at Shade Hotel. Lots of parking right there too.
Apr 10th, 2017, 02:16 PM

Zinc is great, but it's small and very popular on Friday/Saturday nights, esp. with the drinking crowd. I much prefer it for lunch/brunch than dinner. It can be chilly at night, even with space heaters, if you're sitting on the terrace (table seating) versus inside in the bar/lounge (lounge-y seats and low tables). Outside the noise level is fine; inside it can be deafening.

In the same plaza (which sits over a large public parking lot), my favorite restaurant in the whole town is Petros (Greek). There is also Nick's, a mid-range, 'casual American' food chain. IMO, Petros would be the most friendly to a group wanting to linger.

But within 3-4 blocks, there are more than 15 restaurants to choose from. The full range: trendy/expensive to casual/moderate, cutting edge cuisine to fairly predictable dining. Even a couple of old-school dive bars serving great burgers, etc.
Apr 10th, 2017, 02:49 PM

Jean, I wouldn't mind doing a house exchange with someone in MB - I really loved my few hours there. It has such a California beach town vibe to it -that goes without saying!
Apr 10th, 2017, 04:25 PM

Sadly, like so many places, you would have loved it more before it was "discovered." Before real estate prices launched into the stratosphere, it was a charming beach town filled with mom and pop shops, locally-owned businesses, great cheap/er restaurants, normal-size houses, etc., with no parking or traffic problems. Not all progress is good, but ask me again when we get old and sell our house!

As for a home exchange, this company (mentioned in the Winslet/Diaz movie "Holiday") was started by a friend who lives in Hermosa Beach.

https://www.homeexchange.com/en/
Apr 10th, 2017, 09:14 PM

This may seem boring, but what about just meeting them at LAX and having a long comfortable dinner in the most lovely expensive restaurant you can find outside of security?

And taking Lyft yourself so you don't have to do the driving?

They will have to go in and out of security and that will take up a chunk of the time anyway.
Apr 10th, 2017, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

Cmstraf I actually have thought the same lol thankfully they are super flexible and it may end up we do just that. Figured it didn't hurt to ask if there were decent options nearby of things to do since I really just don't know the area. I myself am only in the area when I also am heading to the airport and I'm always on the flyaway lol

Jean I didn't even think of it being Good Friday so thank you for mentioning that!
Apr 11th, 2017, 08:00 AM

Which terminal -- there are few decent landside restaurants, and almost none on the arrivals levels. Most are after security.
Apr 11th, 2017, 08:03 AM

You don't have to go even as far as downtown Manhattan Beach. There are a few nice restaurants on/off Main Street in downtown El Segundo which is just 3 miles from LAX.

Petros Kafe (a casual version of the Petros in MB)
Sausal (contemporary Mexican/Latin)
Chef Hannes (Italian)
Rock 'n' Brews (just what it sounds like, owned by Gene Simmons)
Deluca Trattoria (on Richmond)
Second City Grill (on Richmond)

Half a mile farther south on Sepulveda, at the border with MB, are two shopping centers (Plaza El Segundo and The Point) with several restaurants. The Point has an outdoor "living room" with seating areas and a few (not enough) space heaters.

Marmalade Café (think Marie Callendar's w/o the pies)
Salt Creek Grill
North Italia
Hopdoddy Burgers

There are also several restaurants on Rosecrans just east of Sepulveda.

Houston's
Lido
Paul Martin
McCormick & Schmick
PF Chang
Fleming's
Il Fornaio
Apr 11th, 2017, 08:13 AM

Can anyone tell us what restaurants there are before security at LAX? And are any of them "real" restaurants? Ours (terminal 2, I think, not far from Southwest) was a chain, food OK, not too noisy, but it would be great to know where one can go to get a good quality meal. Where and if?
Apr 11th, 2017, 09:01 AM

I haven't been in every terminal but the four that I mostly frequent really don't have any/many actual restaurants landside . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO