San Francisco, Northern California, Yosemite, Monterrey Trip - Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have planned the following route for our 13 day trip to California. We land in San Francisco on the 3rd of July and have hotel reservations at Hotel Adagio through the 7th. We have booked the evening tour at Alcatraz on the 6th. Otherwise, we were going to plan our days in San Francisco according to mood and weather. We will rent a car on the 7th and head north to Sausalito, Point Reyes and Muir Woods. Should I plan one or two days in this area? Can you recommend a nice hotel in this area as well? We would also like to drive through Sonoma or Napa - we have 2 teenagers so this will not be a priority. We then will visit family in Pleasanton for 1 night on the 10th. We have reservations in Yosemite for the 11th through the 13th. Our plan is to then drive to Monterrey and explore that area - Hearst Castle, Aquarium, etc... We are thinking we need two days. I would appreciate any hotel recommendations. Our flight leaves on the 16th. Any advice, routes, sites not to be missed, etc.. is welcome. Thanks!
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 10:57 AM

Book your Hearst Castle tour in advance. There are a few different tours. We met people last week that could not do the one they wanted to do as it was sold out for the time they arrived. Summer gets busy.

If you come up from Hearst on Hwy 1 stop at NEPENTHE for a drink and view on the patio.

Another good stop is LITTLE RIVER INN. It has a small river in back with chairs sitting in the water. You can take your drink, walk on the rocks though the water to get to the chairs. Nice way to spend a summer afternoon.

Check out PACIFIC GROVE for hotels on the Monterey Peninsula. Go to www.pacificgrove.org for a list. Lighthouse Lodge is nice.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 12:01 PM
casey_reed84

Only spend a day in the Sausalito, Muir Woods, Muir Beach area. There's not that much to see once you get there anyway. Unless you plan on doing some expensive boutique shopping it will only take a day. As far as a hotel I would recommend still staying in San Francisco if you decide to stretch your Muir Woods trip out. It's only a 45 minute drive tops. Plus you'll get to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge at different times of the day which can be breathtaking. As far as Napa goes, you should make it a priority. You don't necessarily have to stop off at a bunch of wineries. Just the rolling hills of vineyards and the cute little towns that run alonside them like Yountville are worth the trip by itself. Trust me when you get there you will wish you spend more time there. Besides, teenagers are allowed in the wineries as long as their not tasting. Believe it or not most wineries keep non alcoholic wines (yes, gross) for the kiddies so they can taste with the parents. Stop by Robert Modavi and Opus One. Both are ridiculously beautiful properties. And take the tour at Robert Mondavi, it's amazing! And while in San Francisco if you want to try really authentic and wonderful Chinese food there is a place called R&G. Just ask your hotel staff they will know exactly what you're talking about. You may be a little overwhelmed at first. It is a different dining experience but in a good way. Nothing to be scared of here. I hope you have a great trip, I know you will.

Old Jun 7th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Be sure to go to Crissy Field at the Presidio on the 4th for the great fireworks! (Unless it is totally fogged in.)
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:13 PM

After you leave Yosemite, you have 3 nights left of your trip (13th, 14th & 15th), right?

In this case, I would drive from Yosemite to the Cambria area in the morning and tour Hearst Castle in the afternoon. Spend the night in Cambria or Morro Bay. If your kids are considering colleges in California, stop by San Luis Obispo and see Cal Poly

On the 14th, drive north on Hwy 1 through Big Sur to the Monterey area. This will take a few hours to all day depending on your stops. Then stay the 14th and 15th in the Monterey area - Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel. Or stay in or around Santa Cruz. Wherever you decide to stay, I would go to Santa Cruz for a few hours at least on the 15th - hang out on the beach, go to the Boardwalk.