Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   6 days trip to WA/Portland area (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/6-days-trip-to-wa-portland-area-546191/)

dreamfish Jul 22nd, 2005 02:52 PM

6 days trip to WA/Portland area

Hello all,
I'm plannign a trip to seattle and portland area for 6 days. I know my time is limited since it's going to be my first time there and I really want to see it all! after reading some of the old posts, I've come up with a schedule.
1st day - visiting seattle, night stay at either tacoma or olympia
2nd day - Mt. St. Helen, night stay at either Vancouver or Portland
3rd day - visit city of portland and head to Columbia River Gorge, stay there
4th day - still around Columbia RIver area, and maybe Gifford inchot Nat. For., drive back to seattle by night
5th day - up to Widbey island and deception pass park
6th day - another day in seattle

I would love to hear your input on this schedule, i dont' know if it's too much. thanks.

Megan

happytrailstoyou Jul 22nd, 2005 06:26 PM

Considering the path you have outlined, I suggest you visit Mount Rainier rather than Mount Saint Helens--it is a more varied experience (waterfalls, canyons, Cascade views, etc.)

From the Columbia River Gorge you might go to Whidbey Island via the Yakima wine country, Winthrop, and the North Cascade Highway.

However, rather than squeeze Whidbey Island into your itinerary, I think you would be better off going Mount Raininer, Oregon Coast (Cannon Beach), Portland, and Hood River. Then, investigate Mount Saint Helens on your way back to Seattle.

dreamfish Jul 23rd, 2005 07:56 AM

Thanks for the input. originally, I had included Astoria, but took it out at the end because one of my friend might have to go back to seattle at the end of the 4th day (hense the trip to Widbey island).

You suggested Mt. Rainier rather than Mt st. Helens. But is that similar to Columbia River Gorge though? from the info, they all have waterfalls and cascade view. just wandering..

-megan

happytrailstoyou Jul 23rd, 2005 10:14 AM

Mt. Rainier is the most popular day trip from Seattle for those who are interested in scenic beauty. Mount Saint Helens is farther away from Seattle and it is mainly of interest for learning about the destructive capacities of volcanic eruptions. The effects of the eruption was much more spectacular in the 1980s than it is today.

The Columbia River Gorge is a very different experience. There are great views of Mt. Hood from the Hood River area (on the so-called “Fruit Loop”).

I don't have any ideas about what to do for a traveling companion who may or may not have to bolt before the trip is over.

dreamfish Jul 23rd, 2005 06:18 PM

happytrailstoyou-
looks like they are all worth visitng. the good news is that we have one more day to spent on the southern part of Washington. So hopefully, 4 days would be enough to see all 3. I think we'll visit Portland, OR first, then go to Columbia River Gorge. from there, circle up to Mt. St.Helen for a brief stop, then up to Mt. Rainier , and finally back to Seattle.
the only thing I'm not sure of is the driving time because the route I pick looks small on the map.
Someone suggested to go to a hot spring while in Washington state. any suggestions? thanks

frchteaze Jul 24th, 2005 08:52 PM

This isn't my thread, but since we're on the topic of Seattle area vacation inteneraries, I have a question. I'm in the process of planning my 5 day trip in Seattle (in less than 2 weeks) and I don't have any major side trips like the ones listed here to go on. I thought about venturing over to some of the islands, but haven't made any detailed plans. Am I going to be bored visiting museums, attractions, and neighborhoods for five days?

LoveItaly Jul 24th, 2005 08:57 PM

Hi frchteaze, probably it would be good for you to start your own thread so that you can get some answers to your specific questions. But anyway one fun thing you could do is take the ferry over to the San Juan Islands, say Friday Harbor. Shops, restaurants etc. That might be a nice break from Seattle. Or you could go to Victoria on Vancouver Island. Just make sure you have ID of course as you would be going into Canada. Will you have a car? Anyway, think about starting a new thread. Best wishes.

dreamfish Jul 25th, 2005 07:31 AM

frchteaze,
I don't think you'll need to worry about it. Summer is the best time to visit seattle. I heard that there are lots to do in that city even if you don't venture out. You can even go to the Boeing tour and Freemont, or as suggested before, take the ferry to the islands. good luck.